New-bee from Wy, US of A

Apr 21, 2021
Wapiti, Wyoming USA
Hey all, Great site , just what I've been looking for! Long time rider , long time traveler. The Mrs and I own and operate a seasonal lodge here in NW Wy ( www.eycatlodging.com) and welcome any members of GTR for a visit! I have a bud in NW Thailand (CNX) and visited there last year ( just b4covid) and am planning a return trip later this year. . Rented a 500 Honda last go around but planning on buying a bike this trip and just leaving it at my buds . Plans are to tour N To VN , Laos , and Cambodia and having trouble on diff sites on the rules and regs of bringing a bike in, to tour. Right now , pondering a 650 Vstrom to buy, used or new,,,, suggestions on where to shop. ?? Haven't made ticket purchase yet so could fly into either BKK or CNX. My buddy lives just S of CNX about 20 miles. Arrival in Dec sometime 2021. Departure ,,? late Jan or Feb. My wife will fly over and meet me in VN for a couple weeks. She works in the medical field so time off for longer stretches is at a premium now. Other times either solo or ride with my bud who has a 500 Honda.
Here I saddle a 2020 Gold Wing DCT and a 1290 KTM SD ADV 2016. I am 40 miles from Yellowstone NP and about the same from the Bear Tooths if ya all have been ?? We open up here for biz May 1st Its still winter here !! Egads, I have been golfing 3xs the past 10 days and shoveling snow 3x the past 10 days. Never a dull moment. But !! celebrating my 68th here on the 30th of April so will fire up one of the bikes and ride out to the park and wrestle up a "barr" or two. Looking forward to some meet and greets , and plenty of travel info. This seems like the place,,, Glad to join,,, who do I pay my 300 baht to, to park here?

Reactions: Incee

Dodraugen

Subscribed
Aug 19, 2012
Lampang
Welcome to the forum mate! Im sure you will get very competent advice about your questions by the very experienced bunch of guys in here.

In the meantime I can write some of what I know about it....

First: To buy and register a bike in Thailand as a foreigner you will need a socalled «Certificate of recidence»
It can be a little complicated to get but if you buy a bike directly from a dealer I guess in most cases they will help you with that.

Getting into other countries with a thai plated bike:
Laos - should be ok, but only a few bordercrossings allows bikes to cross. Chiang Khong to Huay Xay and Nong Khai to Thanaleng (Vientiane) are normally the best bets. David Unk will know these details better

Cambodia - Same as Laos, some border crossings are easier than others. Chong Chom to O’Smach in Surin province used to be the easiest.
The only bordercrossing between Laos and Cambodia is notoriously difficult in the direction from Laos and into Cambodia. The other direction from Cambodia into Laos is strangly usually ok.

Vietnam - it is very difficult to get into Vietnam with a thai plated bike unless youre on an organised tour with the costs and inconveniances that has.
But a very few times a thai plated bike «slips» into Vietnam. A thai female rider and V-logger crossed into Vietnam on her thai plated bike in December 2019 - its all there on Youtube somewhere.

Yellowstone NP and Beertooth road?
Yes of course I have been there, on my norwegian plated bike....

Attachments

• 0952445E-0CB1-4030-A791-331006B1E36C.jpeg
    0952445E-0CB1-4030-A791-331006B1E36C.jpeg
    307.9 KB · Views: 148
  • 59064CC5-0702-48C5-AB74-F5F079C61ED5.jpeg
    59064CC5-0702-48C5-AB74-F5F079C61ED5.jpeg
    253.4 KB · Views: 141
  • EFCCB95E-95A4-4403-8316-00DC951C0162.jpeg
    EFCCB95E-95A4-4403-8316-00DC951C0162.jpeg
    247.9 KB · Views: 136
Reactions: Moto-Rex
Apr 21, 2021
Wapiti, Wyoming USA
Now thats funny!! Your right in my back yard!
Beartooth pass is still closed.
We always ride it the 1st weekend it is open. One feels like a mouse in a 5kilo block of swiss.
The road crews send these huge plow trucks up to auger/ blow the snows off the road. The long days sun shines on the blacktop to melt clean.
All in which you are driving tunnel vision style w 15' snow banks on either side of the highway. Been up there every early June when it opens for the past 6 yrs. Sometimes 35deg F. Sometimes 65deg f
Where do you hang your hat?
I am half Finn and half polish so I,m sure we can mediate over a pint somewhere down the road,,, ride 'em ,, P

Dodraugen

Subscribed
Aug 19, 2012
Lampang
I passed these places in Idaho, Montana and Wyoming in the middle of June 2019 on the last leg of my 5 year around the world trip. Went up Alaska later on that year and then returned to Norway.

Im norwegian but have both some finnish and swedish ancestors too.
I have spent a good bit of time in Thailand up through the years, but now Im back into the hamsterwheel again in Norway. I need too fill up an empty bankaccount before doing more adventures....
Wouldnt mind a bit of meditation....:blush:

Apr 21, 2021
Wapiti, Wyoming USA
Got it,,, we get to Europe every few years . My wifes sis has some property in the S of France. We are trying to book a trip there in Oct or Nov. depending on Covid restrictions. I grew up In Minnesnowta ( home of a few Scan da hoo vi ans) , My moms folks immigrated there in the late 1800 s from N of Helsinki. ( Maki - her maiden name)
From '75 to '88 I lived in Alaska. Good times. Even had a couple cycles there. Matter of fact I get back up that way periodically, and fly there the end of May for 10 days. Fishing trip 101. King Salmon , Halibut, crab, clams, will fill the nets I hope. End of June the US national BMW rally is in Great Falls ,Montana . No longer have a Beemer in my garage but still a MOA member. About 10 of us are caravaning up from Wy and Colorado. Norway , someday, but back to SE Asia this winter. Again,,,, if they open up. We usually book out out place in the summer w 30% plus Euros but this year about .4% . We have our shots and 200,000,000 other Yanks but a slow go in many other parts of the world. I was in Mexico the end of March and hardly any administered to the rural folks there. Pretty sad. We all hope for the best for 2021. 2020 is in the rear view mirror now. A herring sandwich is fine for me, I'll bring the bier. P

Dodraugen

Subscribed
Aug 19, 2012
Lampang
Forgot to tell - places too search online for bikes for sale in Thailand are for example:
* Kaidee.com, even though its mostly in thai script you will with a bit of goodwill be able to search for what you look for.
* Bathsold.com, its in english so it shouldnt be a problem to use.
* The ubiquitos Facebook marketplace can also be a great place to look for bikes.

Apr 21, 2021
Wapiti, Wyoming USA
Many thanks,,, Yes ,I saw that Kaidee.com the other day. Its a tad early now but over the summer I will ponder. I will start on the visa process soon too. Thats a 3 month ordeal,,,, Just saw Thai updated their entry req as of April 2021 but still some quarentines needed . It should lax this summer. Later,,, P

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
Gday & welcome to GTR

For some general border crossing info go here

Getting a bike registered in your name immediately could be problematic, but you won't really know until the time comes.

There are lots of good value for money bikes out there now & it should only get better in the coming months.
Facebook Market Place is also another place to look.

Good luck getting over here & safely in without too much hassle & expense.

For some ideas where to ride take a look here

and here

Apr 21, 2021
Wapiti, Wyoming USA
Thx David, I looked at some bikes there last yr when I was at my buds place in Sanpatong. There was this market I went to that this broker would sell hundreds of bikes at,,,, well , he brought them in to sell. Thats where my bud got his 500 Honda. I rented the same when I was there . OK bike , but I think a bike a tad bigger will fit my wants, I ride a 1290 KTM and a DCT Gold Wing so I have my fill of bigger bikes here in the US. Looks like you picked up a V Strom? I would be fine w the same. How about new?? Do the dealers stock plenty? Price point approx? Just gotta ponder and see the best way to go. Maybe easier to get lic and reg if dealer purchased? Ok , I better git,,, We have a lodge/campground here in NW Wy USA, We open next week. I golfed yesterday and now it is snowing, What the XXX! Oh well spring will get here soon enough,,,, Pete