New Member Info Request

richardb

Oct 13, 2022
Hi
Amazingly informative site - congratulations.
I am coming to ride MHS loop in Jan 23.
I would like to ride scooter (Auto or semi). Is this adequate? Iam 6ft 3 in and 100kg.
Also how do I transport my backpack (which will be around 40L capacity which I think is the right size)?

Any other info gratefully received.

Thanks
Richard

Dodraugen

Subscribed
Aug 19, 2012
Lampang
People bicycle the MHS loop. So a 125 cc scooter will bring you around that loop much easier than those using a bicycle.
Not as comfortable as a 250 cc bike or a 500 cc bike - but it will carry you round the loop for sure.

A backpack can be strapped to the back half of the seat as the seat on the scooters is quite long and made for two persons (and in reality often 3-4-5 persons sits on such a scooter seat)
And I belive a 40 liter bag shouldnt be a problem.

Darrell N

Subscribed
Sep 9, 2016
Chiang Rai, Thailand
Welcome Richardb!

Assuming you are street riding only, renting a PCX 150 should be easy in Chiang Mai. It has good front discs, powerful enough, and handles well. Not much engine braking for the long descents though as a manual bike. Watch for brake fade. It may be a bit small for your frame, so I find adding some 34mm bar risers help a lot, available for about 160 baht. The MHS loop should be done in as many possible days as you can as the best things to see are off the main MHS loop road and well worth it.

It is a loop, so you can leave stuff you don't need at the start point and pick up later. There is a generous amount to space under the seat for storage, and the fuel tank access is between your feet. Bonus if it comes with a top case, but unlikely. Your backpack could be strapped to the seat, or worn. If worn, you may need to strap a piece of hard foam to the pillion to shim it up to take the weight of the pack off your shoulder and back. Your butt will be the limiting factor on ride enjoyment and distance. Weather should be awesome, nights cool.

Heineken

Ol'Timer
Subscribed
Mar 2, 2019
Any scooter will be able to do the MHS, just some will be slower than others

I to would recommend a Honda PCX 150/160cc or Yamaha N-Max 155cc as they are more capable than the smaller scoots, more power means safer to overtake, tackle hills etc

Like Darrell mentioned if you are renting see if you can rent one with a Topbox (lockable box behind the seat mounted on a rack) as they are usually around 40L capacity plus the under seat storage is also about 30L

Are you an experienced rider ?...................................if so there are bigger scooters also available, Honda Forza 350 or Yamaha X-max 300 which are just alot more capable than there smaller cousins

richardb

Oct 13, 2022
Hi

Thanks for the info.
I am not an experienced rider (a week or so in phuket and some in Vietnam)

If I do the MHs am I better to go clockwise or anti?

Also starting to think maybe I should just do some day trips out of Chiang Mai or Pai though suspect will not get full flavour of countryside If I do that.

I know there are several places to rent scooters and presume internet recommendations are helpful as to good and bad ones.

Thanks again for your time.

Best Wishes
Richard