New rental option in Chiang mai CRF250L

Geoff

May 4, 2012
Hi all,

Just spent 3 days on a new CRF250L, CM to Chiang rai via Fang then on though Wiang Kaen, Chiang Khong, Chiang Saen, Mai Sai, Mae Fa Luang, Mae Salong, Mae Ai then back to CM via Fang. About 1100k's all up.

280313=11329-Chiang%20mai%20June2012%20065.jpg

280313=11328-Chiang%20mai%20June2012%20074.jpg

Fantastic roads and country, but the real highlight of the ride was the CRF, have done two previous rides in northern Thailand on rental D-trackers, and loved the bikes but hated the engines, underpowered and over restricted. Not so the CRF, more comfortable and a great engine, punchy mid-range and a good top end, its even good fun on open highways. It sounds and feels like a 4-stroke single even with the STD pipe.

The bike does have one problem, the front brake looks like its been lifted from the trail bike version, its underpowered and lacks feel. Its adequate, but given how good the rest of the bike is, its a shame Honda cheaped out in the brake department.

So....if your looking to rent a bike in Chiang mai, check out the CRF, for me this bike has a sky high grin factor.......good fun.

Cheers

Geoff

Jul 11, 2011
So, is this your own bike or did you rent it?
If you rented it maybe you could provide details of where from & price etc.
May be useful for others to know and I wouldn't mind a go myself lol

Geoff

May 4, 2012
Rented this bike from Pop's on Kochasarn rd, cost 700 baht a day with helmet.

This bike is the only road version of the CRF I've seen in Chiang mai this trip, but I think the rental shops will be full of them soon.

It only had 31k's on it when I picked it up so I don't think it has been sitting in the shop long. Now nicely run-in, gotta love twisty mountain roads lol.

Geoff

mja34

Apr 24, 2003
So POP is putting supermotard tyres/rims on some bikes?,must go check them out. Nice report

Nov 7, 2007
mja34;280324 wrote: So POP is putting supermotard tyres/rims on some bikes?,must go check them out. Nice report
Wow... Thanks for the info, will check that out myself as soon as time allows.

Jun 3, 2012
Thanks for the info, Geoff. We are flying into Thailand in January 2013 and I'll be heading to Pops to take a look at what he has over there.
Just wondering what it can hold luggagewise. I'll be bringing straps to secure stuff for a two month ride through SE Asia.

Oct 17, 2006
the brake can be improved by fitting SS braided hose, HEL, Aeroquip etc that will give 15% more power, after market pads next step or a 4 pot caliper from a breakers .