New user, NorThai

Oct 9, 2009
Hello.
I`m a new user, male age 42 from Norway who is very new about driving a motorbike.
However I love driving around in Thailand in my car, but now I`m would try to do the same whit a bike.

I have been looking for a cruiser in Khon Kaen, and I set my eyes on a Yamaha 400 Dragstar 2006.
I was thinking that this will do as a "new beginner" bike, and then later go for a bike with more cc later on.
Any comment?

I now that a 400 cc for some of you might seem to be a slow and underpower bike, but as I say before, I`m a new about driver bigger bikes then my Yamaha Fino

I live about 40 km. south east from Khon Kaen, in a small place called Kosumpisai.
Sorry for my english writing

Nov 2, 2008
Cheers and welcome, from a male 43 year old first generation Norwegian, currently a Canadian living in LOS (and relative newbie). Your english writing seems just fine. GTRider is a very friendly helpful site just chock full of cheerful, jovial gentleman and a few gentlewoman. Wonderful lack of negativity on this forum is a welcome change, even the ribbing (giving a hard time, or grinding your gears so to speak) here is gentle.

Have you rented any larger bikes, like a Honda Phantom 200, something from the host of 250 dual sports available, or the Kawasaki 250 Ninja for example? Upon arriving you will find your ideal Thailand bike may different than your ideal rides back home, or maybe not. But I do find riding the country side far more enjoyable on a motorbike; coming around a left corner and finding a mini bus passing, oncoming in your lane, isn't as dramatic well riding tight to the inside on two wheels as it would be with four.

Take your time, slow down and enjoy the journey, giving your self plenty of time to get to know the basics of two wheeled Thailand pleasure.

Best Regards,
Kevin

May 25, 2006
HuaHin
Salut Camarade, Welcome to "the Club",

Happy for you that you want to join, as Fishenough just said every kind of bikes are welcome.

Issue would be much for you if it's the right choice for the specific usage you want ?

At present in Thailand, Kawasaki is providing a serie of brand new bikes at a very affordable and reasonable price, personnally if being living around Khon Kaen, I would choose more easily an off road bike, a bit more multipurpose than the Dragstar (which is a very good and relaible bike, as well).

Just look in the forum at the different posts around that.

Anyway, welcome !

Oct 9, 2009
Thank you all for the warm welcome. I bought the Dragstar today and I will try to upload some photos.

503771.jpg

503774.jpg

503775.jpg

503776.jpg

http://bildr.no/view/503771

http://bildr.no/view/503774

http://bildr.no/view/503775

http://bildr.no/view/503776

Sep 22, 2008
Northai. I notice that your new bike is not plated (no number plate).
Do you have the number plate and green book (registration) if not do you have the import documents, because without these you will never be able to make the bike legal.

Oct 9, 2009
thaicbr wrote: Northai. I notice that your new bike is not plated (no number plate).
Do you have the number plate and green book (registration) if not do you have the import documents, because without these you will never be able to make the bike legal.
Yes, I have all paper (Invoice) and we will take the bike to Maha Sarakam next week and make the Green Book :wink:

Nov 21, 2008
NorThai wrote: [quote quote=thaicbr]Northai. I notice that your new bike is not plated (no number plate).
Yes, I have all paper (Invoice) and we will take the bike to Maha Sarakam next week and make the Green Book :wink:
Grattis med sykkel.
Nice to see there are so meny decent norwegians here,hoefully we will meet some day
Tell me northai,it must be a bit lonely in maha sarakam not meny foreigners there,been there meny times had a piza at the mall last time mostly just driving thru on my way home or to roiet it looks a bit boring,i will be in kon khaen sometime next month,maybe we can have a beer

Marco

Oct 15, 2006
Khuang Nai
[quote quote="nuwatmatNice to see there are so meny decent norwegians here,hoefully we will meet some day
Nuwamat,,,Where the word "Desent" Norwegian comes??,,,,LOL :wink:

When are you coming matey? i'm up to CM on 22nd

Nov 21, 2008
Marco wrote: [quote quote="nuwatmatNice to see there are so meny decent norwegians here,hoefully we will meet some day

Will land in bkk the 23 start driving to cm the 26,dont go anywhere until im there,just rebooked wo bikes to green ninja,think they are a bit more comfy,it will be interesting to see.
Why dont you drop in in bkk and we can drive together,wich route are you driving ?

Marco

Oct 15, 2006
Khuang Nai
nuwatmat wrote: [quote quote=Marco][quote quote="nuwatmatNice to see there are so meny decent norwegians here,hoefully we will meet some day

Will land in bkk the 23 start driving to cm the 26,dont go anywhere until im there,just rebooked wo bikes to green ninja,think they are a bit more comfy,it will be interesting to see.
Why dont you drop in in bkk and we can drive together,wich route are you driving ?
BKK in my Panzar Wagen,,NOOOOOOOOO,, i been there few times and no more if possible,,,
And im heading to CM for Franz house party, back home then for few days and then start traditional november tour on 5th for few weeks.

bard

Oct 2, 2008
Welcome NorThai,

And congrats with the bike, enjoy your new toy.

Lots of Norwegians on this site (I am one) who lives in LOS with big bikes, even have Fins... It doesn't matter we all have a common interest... Bikes, so everything else is not important...

GT-Rider is probably the best MC site in LOS, helpful really great people who is real good fun to meet up with when you ride around, and join for rides.

Right now busy making money so I can spend it on bikes and touring.

Will do Bang Saen bike week, then TV Charity ride, then Cambodia tour the 23rd of November miiiiiight go Laos and up to Chiang Mai, but not the plan... yet... Might do it just to sit and tell tales, drink beers and show pictures with the guys up there, say hello to Pikey and let him view his old bike to let him see what it's done...

But hey can fit in some more biking in between, might do a trip to Khon Kaen to meet some GT-Riders and head to Chiang Mai and back again.

Would be great to meet up for a ride and a laugh...

Sep 4, 2007
Hi Northai,
Welcome to the board and good to see more guys from my area. Bike looks good. I live in Khon Kaen city and would be very happy to meet up here or come down to you for a coffee and chat about the Isaan biking scene.
If you would like to drop me an email or pm, I will give you my phone no, not the best to post on these public boards.

Oct 9, 2009
johngooding wrote: Hi Northai,
Welcome to the board and good to see more guys from my area. Bike looks good. I live in Khon Kaen city and would be very happy to meet up here or come down to you for a coffee and chat about the Isaan biking scene.
If you would like to drop me an email or pm, I will give you my phone no, not the best to post on these public boards.
Hallo Johngooding :wink:
A meeting would be great some day, but for the moment I`m very cold sick :x
Got seek for about 7 days before, and still not feel so much better, but I will PM you as soon as my body works again :wink:

As you might now, a very new into the biking, so I appreciate your offer Johngooding. :D

Sep 4, 2007
[quote quote="NorThai
Hallo Johngooding :wink:
A meeting would be great some day, but for the moment I`m very cold sick :x
Got seek for about 7 days before, and still not feel so much better, but I will PM you as soon as my body works again :wink:

As you might now, a very new into the biking, so I appreciate your offer Johngooding. :D
Sorry to hear of your trouble with the flu bugs.
I hope you recover quickly and I look forward to hearing from you when you are OK for a meetup. Cheers, John