News Gossip

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
Yamaha Thailand have requested that the XT660 Super Tenere be imported into Thailand. One bike will be brought over & if it passes the homolgation test the bike will be available. Maybe end of the year they will know something concrete.

Charoen Motor are building a Yamaha Square showroom in Mae Hong Son. It should be completed towards the end of the year. Once done there will be an organised ride to MHS, plus an official opening show & party.

Sep 19, 2006
www.chiangmai-xcentre.com
Where can I pay My Deposit!!! :wink: Finally a Ray of Light coming from a Cloudy Sky :D ( Translation for You Dummies: A Real World Usable, Practical Bike for Thailand instead of Cruisers and Hyper-sports Bikes )
I will Definitely Grab one if they get here 8)

Moto-Rex

Subscribed
Jan 5, 2008
2009-XT660Z-colour-red_prv_tcm26-26.jpg

2009-XT660Z-colour-black_prv_tcm26-.jpg

2009-XT660Z-colour-blue_prv_tcm26-2.jpg

Red, Black or Blue??

Moto-Rex

Subscribed
Jan 5, 2008
Received this from a mate in OZ.

Yamaha XT's what the GT guys are talking about is the XT660Z Tenere which is only about 6 months old and only available in Europe for Approx AUD$14,000.
There was some talk about it in the mags here a while ago, and Yamaha has said at this stage it is not importing to Australia, it isn't available in Canada or the USA either.
We get two versions here (oz) XT660R($12,800) is the trail bike and XT660 X($13,500) is the supermotard both have 5 valve fuel injected engine which is a ripper.

So Id say at a guess...and its only my guess. You wouldnt get one for under 500,000 baht in thailand.

Sep 19, 2006
I think the XT660R would probably be a better Bike? It is Considerably Lighter than the Tenere yet the Same Power so stands to Reason the R would seem to have more Performance??? If it is 500.000 Baht may as well Buy a BMW!!! My Guess is 400.000. Anything over that and it is Not Worth it and Won't Sell!!! It is Heavier than the BMW F800GS yet 2/3rds of the Power :oops: at 500.000 Baht Even the BMW X-Country would be a better Buy being the Same Price and same Power :shock:
Have to wait and See but interesting Thought but 500.000 :shock: :oops: :?:

Franz

Jun 28, 2007
When Joe was still there he told me that the XT660Tenere should sell at around B 550.000,- incl. all. Anyway, would prefer the Tenere version as the fueltank would give a lot of road before refilling. Cheers, Franz

Sep 19, 2006
Hi Captain,
If the Tenere & X-Country was the Same Price i would chose the BMW for a few reasons, Lighter same Power etc etc. You could Compare if You had the Choice between a Toyota Fortuner and a BMWX3 at the Same Price which would You Chose :idea: There is No Comparison and I doubt anybody would Chose a Yamaha or Toyota over a BMW if they were the Same Price range and Definitely Not any Thai Person :shock: Therefore if all the Gossip is True Yamaha will have a Hard time selling the Tenere but I now doubt they will even Try :?:

bard

Oct 2, 2008
They don't sell the BMW 450's anymore, changed to 650 engine (old GS) and they don't have any price on the site yet.

The F 650 GS is 690,000,- Baht now, the F 800 GS 770,000,- Baht and the G 650's will probably be over 600 somewhere I can imagine.

500 - 550k is a rip off as usual for Yamaha but compared with the beemer I think the G 650's have small fuel tanks etc. not that great for the long tour around, and the F 650 GS is more the option. XT 660 Tenere would be an awesome bike, and if they for once could make it within a price you did not get coffee spill all over the shirt it would be a dream come true.

The Kawa KLR 650 is not likely to come to Thailand as it's not approved by EU due to carb (no Fi) and emmissions which it appears Thailand is following, so we might have the choice between Tenere or F 650 GS, and in that case I'll go for the XT overpriced as it might be it's still 150 - 200k cheaper than the Beemer...

Franz

Jun 28, 2007
Saturday 5th some of us were kindly invited by Yamaha Kad Suan Kaew for lunch at Ian's X-Center. The boss of Yamaha's big bikes Khun John was also present and the lot of us had the possibility to discuss what we expect from them.
Generally speaking, Yamaha is now testing in Japan all Enduro's they produce for compliance with Thai vehicle-environment regulations. Decisions which bikes to be imported cannot be done now as they want to make sure all the future import bikes pass the Thai homologenisation. Further on did we state that current prices won't sell them too many, but this all depends on the Yen which is expected to weaken significantly and import taxes which should be lowered soon. Interest from us was shown mainly for the XT660R-offroad, X-motard and Z-Tenere with its 25 liters tank. Also the XJ600 & Diversion, WR250 & 450 were mentioned. Further on did we express our wish to have spareparts easy available for older bikes such as XJR1300, XJ400 and some choppers.
At some time Ian, Dave and me were set aback :evil: when we were given a neverending lesson on what Thailand is all about by a fellow newbie rider on a trashed Ducati :twisted: ............must have been a "Thai V..." member........ :wink: ...
Thanks to Yamaha square for a nice Lunch anyway !! Cheers, Franz

Sep 19, 2006
To Continue on the Good Report by Franz, The Top Yamaha Man Present was "Kasempong Sindusopon" who's English name I guess from Franz is Khun John? Anyway His Official Title is: "General Manager, Commercial Planning" A well educated Young Man who was very open to thoughts and constructive input. That was what I thought with the Brief Time I actually managed to Talk with Him after the Meeting was High Jacked from the Start and His Time was Monopolised By a couple of Gents bent on Self Promotion and Future Employment :shock: A Couple of Photos:

At the Table Deep in Discussion about nothing of Relevance???
YamahaLunch001Small.jpg

Some of the Yamaha Bikes in Attendance!
YamahaLunch005Small.jpg

YamahaLunch006Small.jpg

Also at the Meeting was the Head of Chareon Motor Group who also has the Chevrolet and Mercedes Benz Dealership to Compliment the Yamaha Bikes here in Chiang Mai! Interesting to Hear He says the Big Bike Sales have not been affected By the Economic Situation as much as the Small Bikes. Also Normal Car Sales are Down Yet Mercedes Benz Sales were actually Increasing and Doing Well 8) Shows there are Still People out there with Money :wink:
For the Future New Bike Models to be Released in Thailand we will have to Wait till early Next Year for Confirmation :roll: But I am Guessing hopefully the Next International Motorshow in Bangkok end of March could see some Good News or Releases, Fingers Crossed :idea:

Mar 15, 2003
www.daveearly.com
Franz wrote: Saturday 5th some of us were kindly invited by Yamaha Kad Suan Kaew for lunch at Ian's X-Center. The boss of Yamaha's big bikes Khun John was also present and the lot of us had the possibility to discuss what we expect from them.
Generally speaking, Yamaha is now testing in Japan all Enduro's they produce for compliance with Thai vehicle-environment regulations. Decisions which bikes to be imported cannot be done now as they want to make sure all the future import bikes pass the Thai homologenisation. Further on did we state that current prices won't sell them too many, but this all depends on the Yen which is expected to weaken significantly and import taxes which should be lowered soon. Interest from us was shown mainly for the XT660R-offroad, X-motard and Z-Tenere with its 25 liters tank. Also the XJ600 & Diversion, WR250 & 450 were mentioned. Further on did we express our wish to have spareparts easy available for older bikes such as XJR1300, XJ400 and some choppers.
At some time Ian, Dave and me were set aback :evil: when we were given a neverending lesson on what Thailand is all about by a fellow newbie rider on a trashed Ducati :twisted: ............must have been a "Thai V..." member........ :wink: ...
Thanks to Yamaha square for a nice Lunch anyway !! Cheers, Franz
Franz sums it up well. As stated, the short answer from Yamaha was basically that they were waiting for all the testing to be done on their models in Japan and they would then see which met the very high Thai homologenisation standards. The GM stated this would be "sometime" next year. There was no indication of being in much of a hurry or that anything was being considered specifically for Thailand.

An interesting aside is that it was also said that Kawasaki now holds 50% of the Thai market share. :roll:

I also thank Yamaha Square for the chance to meet everyone and exchange information. A very nice lunch.

edit: Ian, you and I must have hit the submit button at the same time :p

bard

Oct 2, 2008
Well seems like we bikers have to be something we are not "patient" and wait I guess. March next year, just when the season is at the end way to go Yamaha...

Update on the KLR rumoured to be Fi and EU model for that one in 2011 so maybe by the end of 2011 they will release that in Thailand.

For the moment only BMW is selling adventure bikes from the main dealer, no news from Honda, Yamaha sometimes next year (maybe), Suzuki has not listed the Wee or DLR on there site, but when I called and asked they have yet to decide what to bring in next year. Kawasaki might come with Versys which is not really an adventure bike, but end of 2011 we might see the KLR.

This means going to a dodgy dealer and ask, which I will when I come home :( So status quo burn a heap on Beemer, dodgy dealer or wait...

May 25, 2006
HuaHin
Hi Friends,

Think we have to wait as it seems not to be able to compete with Kawasaki value for money with their "Made in Thailand" range...

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
GT Riders, Yamaha & Charoen Motor,
Sorry I got my days mixed up & fronted up on Sunday.
Apologies, I seemed to think it was a Sunday brunch get together.
BTW glad I missed out on the ear-bashing though. But you have to wonder why do some guys do that? (Don't answer that.)

Thumbs up once again to Yamaha for customer relations. Methinks they've still got it way over the local Cnx Kawasaki distributor in PR & customer relations.

Sep 4, 2007
Davidfl wrote: GT Riders, Yamaha & Charoen Motor,

Thumbs up once again to Yamaha for customer relations. Methinks they've still got it way over the local Cnx Kawasaki distributor in PR & customer relations.
This does seem to be a Chiang Mai situation although maybe the Bangkok guys could report similar.
Here in Isaarn the Khorat Yamaha big bike shop is friendly and the sales guy Khun Nui does his best to keep in touch and we have the occasional ride together, however since Feb 2008 when I bought the bike, there has not been one event organised by Yamaha Khorat, of the sort which you regularly report up in Chiang Mai, so I guess its more the Chiang Mai dealer who is making the effort rather than the Yamaha Company. Still its great to hear these type of activities are on the increase. Hopefully we find some down our way soon, although I would not mind betting that here they may come from Kawasaki rather than Yamaha.

gobs

Feb 8, 2007
I guess, Kawasaki and Yamaha "don't play in the same division", if I may say (no effence here!)... Hence the customer related work Yam does...

:roll:

Sep 4, 2007
gobs wrote: I guess, Kawasaki and Yamaha "don't play in the same division", if I may say (no effence here!)... Hence the customer related work Yam does...

:roll:
Although with the products and prices they have, maybe Kawasaki are due for a promotion in the division they play in.
But maybe we would rather go to the Yamaha parties and then go and buy the very good value Kawasaki products

gobs

Feb 8, 2007
I agree fully with you, John... Nothing here about to compete!
I was just thinking about brand marketing...

What I mean is that, usually, more you go for high prices, more you are attended by brand/dealer. In sale prices a part of the profit is due to "care" customers...
Buy a high end BMW car for example, and you will be attended there like if you were the "Prince of Monaco"... But don't dream, this care you've just pay it yourself...

I should be curious to know the margin of a dealer on the sale of an ER6 versus the margin on a (let's say) FZ6...
And curious too to know the cost of (let's say again) these 2 bikes "on the board" at the out-door of the factories...

Cheers,
Gobs

KZ25

Nov 19, 2011
Right, it looks much better than the plastic-covered Tenere!

But - not even upside-down forks for that kind of money?

feejer

Feb 16, 2007

KZ25

Nov 19, 2011
Talking about triples, car makers have realized that the common four-inline engines are not efficient.

Big players like Volkswagen, BMW, Ford, Mahle, even MB and others are developing three-cylinder gasoline engines for their sub-compact cars.

According to some websites the 2014 Mini will get a 1.5L turbocharged triple.

I wonder why Yamaha mentions its cross-plane concept which is innovative in four-cylinder engines, but modern triples employ a 120* crank which is cross-plane.