Nong Khiaw To Muang Ngoy

Shane B

Subscribed
Mar 8, 2019
Nong Khiaw to Muang Ngoy - Laos May 2019

Nong Khiaw is a really nice quiet little town on the banks of the Nam Ou river. The last time I was here I passed through rather quickly on my way to LS85. This time I decided to stay 2 nights to soak up the atmosphere and check out the surrounding area including little town up the river called Muang Ngoy.

I've included a short video with some pics, Go-Pro and drone footage.

01nk47.jpg
02nk16.jpg

Epic sunsets.

03nk17.jpg

I arrived into Nong Khiaw on the dirt trail from Luang Prabang via Pak Xeng, meaning I approached the town from the East side. This approach is stunning. The road winds through some dramatic limestone karst mountains tracing a small river. There are some epic viewpoints along the way that are well worth stopping off just to soak up the scenery.

nk01.jpg
nk02.jpg
nk03.jpg
nk04.jpg
nk05.jpg
nk06.jpg

Super cool rock formations just outside Nong Khiaw.

nk07.jpg

Arriving into Nong Khiaw is like a scene from a fairy tale. It’s a very distinctive looking town comprising of mini valley surrounded by towering limestone mountains cut in half by the Nam Ou river. There is a lovely bridge connecting one side of the town to the other where you can catch an amazing sunset. The town has a nice backpacker vibe. It’s usually the nice type of backpackers as its reasonably off the beaten path and quite an effort to get here. It certainly isn’t party central Vang Vieng or even close. Some decent restaurants and some quiet bars.

nk08.jpg
nk09.jpg
nk10.jpg
nk11.jpg
nk12.jpg
nk13.jpg

I arrived around 3pm so I had plenty of time to find accommodation and chill out. I stayed at a nice guesthouse on the west side of the town that had great views over the river from the terrace. It was run by a friendly young husband and wife team. Nice clean aircon rooms and only 80K Kip. Arthith Guesthouse (Nong Khiaw Pier). I ended up having a good few Beer Laos with the owner and his mates out the front until we moved on to another joint down the road.

nk14.01.jpg
nk14.02.jpg
nk14.03.jpg
nk15.jpg
nk18.jpg
nk19.jpg
nk20.jpg

A nice shot from above of the the town of Nong Khiaw with the Nam Ou river sweeping through it.

nk21.jpg

The road on the East side of Nong Khiaw winding through the dramatic Karts mountains.

nk22.jpg

The next morning, I decided to go check out Muang Ngoy. It’s pretty close in terms of distance to Nong Khiaw. I took a look at the start of the road down there the day before and it looked pretty handy, so I thought I’d leave the enduro gear and opt for the comfort of shorts and tee shirt. Possibly not the best idea in hindsight……. the only real protection I had on was sunscreen! Turned out the road was a little trickier than expected, some ruts, bull dust and water crossings thrown in for good measure! I would have felt unbelievably stupid if I had a spill and got some cuts and bruises knowing that my protection gear was sitting back in the guesthouse. Aside from getting covered from head to toe in dust, I took it handy and thankfully no spills.

nk23.jpg
nk24.jpg

The track down there was epic. It traces the banks of the Nam Ou river and is framed by the surrounding mountains. There’s a few water crossings and a bamboo bridge to cross too. It’s really fun and in my opinion one of the most scenic trails that I’ve done. I would definitely recommend it to anyone that comes to the area. I stopped to take lots of pictures and Go-Pro footage along the way.

nk25.jpg
nk26.jpg
nk27.jpg

The village of Muang Ngoy itself is quite nice. There were lots of little guesthouses and restaurants along the water. There’s also a nice little temple along the banks of the river. There were only a handful of other falangs in the village. It seemed like a pretty slow place. I chatted to a guy fishing who said he was a guide and that it was low season at the moment. He also said he does multi day treks up into the surrounding mountains to visit the Khmu and Hmong tribes. They also visit some nice waterfalls and kayak back down the river. It sounded pretty cool to be fair, I might put it on my to do list for next time.

nk28.jpg
nk29.jpg

Main street Muang Ngoy.

nk30.jpg
nk31.jpg

Nice temple in a beautiful setting.

nk32.jpg
nk33.jpg
nk34.jpg
nk35.jpg

You can take the boat from Nong Khiaw to Muang Ngoy too. Its even possible to continue on to Muang Khoa by boat.

nk36.jpg
nk37.jpg

Absolutely stunning scenery along the Nam Ou river.

nk38.jpg

The cool little winding dirt trail along the banks of the Nam Ou river offers spectacular views of the surrounding mountains and valley.

nk39.jpg

After having lunch and flying the drone around I headed back to Nong Khiaw. On the way back just outside the town of Nong Khiaw I spotted a local raft restaurant with a bunch of locals splashing around in the river. It was super hot and I was covered in dust so I thought I’d head on in for a dip and a Beer Laos to cool off. As happens almost every time I’m the only falang in the place, a group of locals called me over to their table to drink beer Laos with them. So, I obliged. It was a nice way to finish off the day floating around in the Nam Ou river watching the sun set with a few Beer Laos with the locals.

nk40.jpg
nk41.jpg
nk42.jpg
nk43.jpg
nk44.jpg

Overall, this was a great little mini day trip. Spectacular scenery, friendly town, lovely little dirt road and an epic place for Beer Laos sun downers.

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
Fantastic pics. You're making me homesick for Laos.

Nong Khiew & Muang Ngoy would have to be one of the most beautiful spots in Laos.

That track along the river to Muang Ngoy must be relatively new. The scenery looks stunning.

These couple of pics are the ones that are super for me
nk18-jpg.jpg

nk18-jpg.jpg

Looking at these it makes you want to ride!

Now that bag you've got on the back?
I'm wondering if it is the same one I've got?
Mine is a Denali from Oz.
upload_2019-6-3_17-39-33.png

Reactions: Shane B and ZCM

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
That Luang Prabang - Pak Xeng - Sam Soun road is a beauty.
I've got fond memories of doing that as a day trip from Luang Prabang on my AT years ago, but can't find the trip report right now.

Here's one that Moto Rex did once
Luang Prabang to Nong Khiew via Pak Xeng and Sam Soun.
it's a great ride if anyone wants to do it.

Many thanks for the trip report - keep em coming.

ZCM

Subscribed
Jun 23, 2011
cm
Great write up and fantastic photos.
Love the jagged Karst mountains. Breathtaking.
Thanks for sharing and looking forward to your next write-up, wherever that may be. Cambodia maybe? :D

Reactions: Shane B

Shane B

Subscribed
Mar 8, 2019
Fantastic pics. You're making me homesick for Laos.

Nong Khiew & Muang Ngoy would have to be one of the most beautiful spots in Laos.

That track along the river to Muang Ngoy must be relatively new. The scenery looks stunning.

These couple of pics are the ones that are super for me
View attachment 130527

View attachment 130528

Looking at these it makes you want to ride!

Now that bag you've got on the back?
I'm wondering if it is the same one I've got?
Mine is a Denali from Oz.
View attachment 130526

Thanks mate. According to some locals I spoke with last time, that track is pretty recent. I could see there isn't much growth on the side banks and there were fresh scrape marks from the excavators so it seemed pretty new. It also looks very fresh from the drone pic.

I'll try knock together some more stories over the next few weeks :)

Reactions: Eoin Christie

Shane B

Subscribed
Mar 8, 2019
Great write up and fantastic photos.
Love the jagged Karst mountains. Breathtaking.
Thanks for sharing and looking forward to your next write-up, wherever that may be. Cambodia maybe? :D

Yep, definitely one of my favorite tracks that I rode on this trip.

I'll have to put pen to paper and put some more reports up from my latest trip. I did a few other cool report worthy trails :)

GTR-Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 22, 2016
Thailand
Hi Shane

Thanks for taking the time to share that with us, the photos really are stunning! Those drone photos in particular are spectacular as they give a birds eye viewpoint that most us us will never see.

What kind of drone and camera setup do you have??? It must be small and compact in order to fit it on the bike...

Reactions: ZCM and Shane B

Shane B

Subscribed
Mar 8, 2019
Hi Shane

Thanks for taking the time to share that with us, the photos really are stunning! Those drone photos in particular are spectacular as they give a birds eye viewpoint that most us us will never see.

What kind of drone and camera setup do you have??? It must be small and compact in order to fit it on the bike...

Thanks. It's pretty cool seeing some of these paces from above alright. The drone is a DJI Mavic Air. It folds up nicely so it doesn't take up much space.

Reactions: ZCM

Moto-Rex

Subscribed
Jan 5, 2008
Hi Shane

Great report, the drone footage and photos are amazing.

Nong Khiew is my favourite town in Laos, its such a cool place.

Thanks for alerting us to the track that now goes to Muang Ngoy, looks like a good ride along the river.

Just love this photo.....Life is tough on the road.
nk42-jpg.jpg

Cheers Moto-Rex

Shane B

Subscribed
Mar 8, 2019
Hi Shane

Great report, the drone footage and photos are amazing.

Nong Khiew is my favourite town in Laos, its such a cool place.

Thanks for alerting us to the track that now goes to Muang Ngoy, looks like a good ride along the river.

Just love this photo.....Life is tough on the road.
View attachment 130677

Cheers Moto-Rex
Thanks mate :)

Reddo

Nov 10, 2018
Nong Khiaw to Muang Ngoy - Laos May 2019

Wow! What a great little report! I'm sitting at a restaurant in Nong Khiaw right now pondering whether to take the boat or do the ride ... Is the start of the track easy to find?
Thanks for the report and superb pics ..

Reddo

Nong Khiaw is a really nice quiet little town on the banks of the Nam Ou river. The last time I was here I passed through rather quickly on my way to LS85. This time I decided to stay 2 nights to soak up the atmosphere and check out the surrounding area including little town up the river called Muang Ngoy.

I've included a short video with some pics, Go-Pro and drone footage.

View attachment 130409 View attachment 130410
Epic sunsets.

View attachment 130411

I arrived into Nong Khiaw on the dirt trail from Luang Prabang via Pak Xeng, meaning I approached the town from the East side. This approach is stunning. The road winds through some dramatic limestone karst mountains tracing a small river. There are some epic viewpoints along the way that are well worth stopping off just to soak up the scenery.

View attachment 130412 View attachment 130413 View attachment 130414 View attachment 130415 View attachment 130416 View attachment 130417
Super cool rock formations just outside Nong Khiaw.

View attachment 130418

Arriving into Nong Khiaw is like a scene from a fairy tale. It’s a very distinctive looking town comprising of mini valley surrounded by towering limestone mountains cut in half by the Nam Ou river. There is a lovely bridge connecting one side of the town to the other where you can catch an amazing sunset. The town has a nice backpacker vibe. It’s usually the nice type of backpackers as its reasonably off the beaten path and quite an effort to get here. It certainly isn’t party central Vang Vieng or even close. Some decent restaurants and some quiet bars.

View attachment 130419 View attachment 130420 View attachment 130421 View attachment 130422 View attachment 130423 View attachment 130424

I arrived around 3pm so I had plenty of time to find accommodation and chill out. I stayed at a nice guesthouse on the west side of the town that had great views over the river from the terrace. It was run by a friendly young husband and wife team. Nice clean aircon rooms and only 80K Kip. Arthith Guesthouse (Nong Khiaw Pier). I ended up having a good few Beer Laos with the owner and his mates out the front until we moved on to another joint down the road.

View attachment 130425 View attachment 130426 View attachment 130427 View attachment 130428 View attachment 130429 View attachment 130430 View attachment 130431
A nice shot from above of the the town of Nong Khiaw with the Nam Ou river sweeping through it.

View attachment 130432
The road on the East side of Nong Khiaw winding through the dramatic Karts mountains.

View attachment 130433

The next morning, I decided to go check out Muang Ngoy. It’s pretty close in terms of distance to Nong Khiaw. I took a look at the start of the road down there the day before and it looked pretty handy, so I thought I’d leave the enduro gear and opt for the comfort of shorts and tee shirt. Possibly not the best idea in hindsight……. the only real protection I had on was sunscreen! Turned out the road was a little trickier than expected, some ruts, bull dust and water crossings thrown in for good measure! I would have felt unbelievably stupid if I had a spill and got some cuts and bruises knowing that my protection gear was sitting back in the guesthouse. Aside from getting covered from head to toe in dust, I took it handy and thankfully no spills.

View attachment 130434 View attachment 130435

The track down there was epic. It traces the banks of the Nam Ou river and is framed by the surrounding mountains. There’s a few water crossings and a bamboo bridge to cross too. It’s really fun and in my opinion one of the most scenic trails that I’ve done. I would definitely recommend it to anyone that comes to the area. I stopped to take lots of pictures and Go-Pro footage along the way.

View attachment 130436 View attachment 130437 View attachment 130438

The village of Muang Ngoy itself is quite nice. There were lots of little guesthouses and restaurants along the water. There’s also a nice little temple along the banks of the river. There were only a handful of other falangs in the village. It seemed like a pretty slow place. I chatted to a guy fishing who said he was a guide and that it was low season at the moment. He also said he does multi day treks up into the surrounding mountains to visit the Khmu and Hmong tribes. They also visit some nice waterfalls and kayak back down the river. It sounded pretty cool to be fair, I might put it on my to do list for next time.

View attachment 130439 View attachment 130440

Main street Muang Ngoy.

View attachment 130441 View attachment 130442
Nice temple in a beautiful setting.

View attachment 130443 View attachment 130444 View attachment 130445 View attachment 130446

You can take the boat from Nong Khiaw to Muang Ngoy too. Its even possible to continue on to Muang Khoa by boat.

View attachment 130447 View attachment 130448

Absolutely stunning scenery along the Nam Ou river.

View attachment 130449
The cool little winding dirt trail along the banks of the Nam Ou river offers spectacular views of the surrounding mountains and valley.

View attachment 130450

After having lunch and flying the drone around I headed back to Nong Khiaw. On the way back just outside the town of Nong Khiaw I spotted a local raft restaurant with a bunch of locals splashing around in the river. It was super hot and I was covered in dust so I thought I’d head on in for a dip and a Beer Laos to cool off. As happens almost every time I’m the only falang in the place, a group of locals called me over to their table to drink beer Laos with them. So, I obliged. It was a nice way to finish off the day floating around in the Nam Ou river watching the sun set with a few Beer Laos with the locals.

View attachment 130451 View attachment 130452 View attachment 130453 View attachment 130454 View attachment 130455

Overall, this was a great little mini day trip. Spectacular scenery, friendly town, lovely little dirt road and an epic place for Beer Laos sun downers.