North again through the 'Auke' route

Jun 1, 2008
Havi,ng met with Auke the other day I told him I wanted a further trip North as I loved the top of the country. Auke advised me a border route which seemed like a good idea.

The plan was to do the border and stay over night in Fang, then on to Chiang Rai and North again the next day.

Bike is the ER6N and the team is me, myself and I.

Got an early start (well 7 am from home) and was having a lovely breakfast in Chiang Dao soon after 8 am. The weather was brilliant and I was totally energised like one of those duracell bunnies.

I have just gone to remind myself of the days happenings and for some strange reason, all my photos are out of order so Ill have to try my best to make this report from a shaky memory.

Looking at my track, I did a bit of a bypass of Chiang Dao on the 107 although I can't remember why. Carried on North after breakfast on the 1178. Hit the 1340 and ticky toured for miles around the most stunning area I have seen in my life.

I just did the track thing and will add it but to be honest I really haven't a clue where I went in the end. I am sure that with the photos and track and some commentary, someone else will assist in exactly where I went.

Anyway, specific points of note for this run. The bike is wonderful on the good roads, good speed and handling. I stopped plenty of times for photos and meeting locals who I have to say are all the most accomodating people in the world.

I visited hill tribe villages, sat in a hut and spoke english to a guy who spoke something else. We laughted a lot.

I played with kids and gave two a ride on the bike.

I found the army camp thing where they were clearly all on red alert, laying in hammocks watching the thai boxing on TV. I walked around and wanted to take a snap of the Myanmar side. I took a step back and fell backwards down a foxhole much to the delight of the soldiar laying in his bunk near by. I niftily jumped to my feet and did all I could to make him think it was an intended manouvere but I suspect he knew the truth. The rest of the day I had mud all up my back which was probably why Thais laughed at me.

Davids map clearly shows 'caution very steep', and also 'road collapse'. I don't mind road collapse and I don't mind very steep, but a collapsed steep road on a ER6 was not the thing for a tired Kiwi. The brakes had just about shit themselves by the time I got to the checkpoint at the bottom. The guys were good though, more interested in my bike than the passport. They asked for my passport and I tried to explain that Mrs POP Rental has it but that didn't work so I showed them my Gym membership card and got a salute and was allowed to carry on.

Fantastic ride to Fang. I have to admit to being pretty disapointed in Fang so decided ot carry on the extra 20 Kms to Chiang Rai.

Did I say 20? Yes, my mind had totally lost it by now so after about an hour I saw Chiang Rai 60 kms. Sheesh

Arrived at the same hotel, the same doorman ran over to me and started stripping the gear off the bike almost before i had stopped. Same room as before even, can you believe that.

Seriously, a wonderful day and the pictures may not reflect the joy this run brought me. I have no shame in admitting to stopping on the highest ridge, turning the engine off and soaking it all in. It was an emotional experience to see the world from this viewpoint, I feel honoured to have been lucky enough to do this run.

Into town and a chat with my lovely wife on Skype, followed by tea in Easy bar and a fairly early night.

Weather throughout was fine although light rain in the afternoon.

Sunday morning arrived and the weather was crap. I had planned a trip to Dao Mae Salong and Mae Moh but the weather truly took the shine of the plan. I changed my mind and rode home to Chiang Mai where i am now in my room. The ride home was 'interesting' with the heavy rain. The good point is that my left boot did not leak.....

I also found that riding at speed in cheaper wet weather gear is not perhaps going to keep all water out. There weemed ot be a collection point around the family jewels however at least the meat and two veg were water cooled. This has however given me a good understanding of a lot of things for the trip next week and I'll be well prepared.

Thanks Auke, the route was appreciated. If anyone has not done the route I do recommend it.

Pics to follow soon

ChiangRai2.jpg

ChiangRai2002.jpg

ChiangRai2003.jpg

ChiangRai2004.jpg

ChiangRai2005.jpg

ChiangRai2006.jpg

ChiangRai2007.jpg

ChiangRai2015.jpg

ChiangRai2017.jpg

ChiangRai2018.jpg

ChiangRai2019.jpg

ChiangRai2020.jpg

ChiangRai2021.jpg

ChiangRai2022.jpg

ChiangRai2024.jpg

ChiangRai2026.jpg

ChiangRai2027.jpg

ChiangRai2029.jpg

ChiangRai2030.jpg

ChiangRai2031.jpg

ChiangRai2032.jpg

ChiangRai2033.jpg

ChiangRai2034.jpg

ChiangRai2035.jpg

ChiangRai2036.jpg

ChiangRai2037.jpg

ChiangRai2040.jpg

ChiangRai2041.jpg

ChiangRai2044.jpg

ChiangRai2045.jpg

ChiangRai2046.jpg

ChiangRai2047.jpg

ChiangRai2048.jpg

ChiangRai2049.jpg

ChiangRai2050.jpg

ChiangRai2051.jpg

ChiangRai2052.jpg

ChiangRai2053.jpg

ChiangRai2054.jpg

ChiangRai2055.jpg

ChiangRai2056.jpg

ChiangRai2059.jpg

ChiangRai2060.jpg

ChiangRai2061.jpg

ChiangRai2062.jpg

ChiangRai2063.jpg

ChiangRai2065.jpg

ChiangRai2066.jpg

ChiangRai2068.jpg

ChiangRai2069.jpg

ChiangRai2070.jpg

ChiangRai2071.jpg

ChiangRai2073.jpg

ChiangRai2074.jpg

ChiangRai2075.jpg

ChiangRai2076.jpg

ChiangRai2077.jpg

ChiangRai2078.jpg

ChiangRai2079.jpg

ChiangRai2080.jpg

ChiangRai2081.jpg

ChiangRai2082.jpg

ChiangRai2083.jpg

ChiangRai2084.jpg

ChiangRai2085.jpg

ChiangRai2086.jpg

ChiangRai2087.jpg

ChiangRai2088.jpg

ChiangRai2089.jpg

ChiangRai2090.jpg

ChiangRai2091.jpg

ChiangRai2092.jpg

ChiangRai2093.jpg

ChiangRai2094.jpg

ChiangRai2095.jpg

ChiangRai2096.jpg

ChiangRai2097.jpg

ChiangRai2098.jpg

ChiangRai2099.jpg

ChiangRai2100.jpg

ChiangRai2101.jpg

ChiangRai2102.jpg

ChiangRai2103.jpg

ChiangRai2104.jpg

ChiangRai2105.jpg

ChiangRai2106.jpg

ChiangRai2107.jpg

ChiangRai2108.jpg

ChiangRai2109.jpg

ChiangRai2110.jpg

ChiangRai2111.jpg

ChiangRai2113.jpg

ChiangRai2114.jpg

ChiangRai2115.jpg

ChiangRai2116.jpg

ChiangRai2119.jpg

ChiangRai2120.jpg

ChiangRai2121.jpg

ChiangRai2122.jpg

ChiangRai2123.jpg

ChiangRai2124.jpg

ChiangRai2125.jpg

ChiangRai2126.jpg

ChiangRai2127.jpg

ChiangRai2128.jpg

ChiangRai2130.jpg

ChiangRai2131.jpg

ChiangRai2132.jpg

ChiangRai2133.jpg

Rhodie

Mar 5, 2006
Fang is v disappointing to stay in.
Tha Ton 25kms north is far more charming,
tho at this time of year a lot of places are closed.
557828098_FSJs8-X2.jpg

Jun 1, 2008
Well, having listened closely to Auke as to the route, it appears I did not go where he advised at all. I sent him my tracks and he tells me that I did the Nor Lae road rather than the one he recommended.

Probably best that no-one takes directions from me.

The route was pretty hard but an experience I'll remember forever.

T

Auke

Nov 10, 2003
Well, you followed the route almost to the letter. The only deviation you made was to take the Nor Lae road instead of Rd 1249.

The reason why I recommended to take the 1249 is that the Nor Lae road is very steep at places and there are more potholes than there is asphalt left. Coupled with the time of the year - rainy season - and knowing that you would ride solo I thought that it would be wiser to take the 1249.

Jun 1, 2008
Rhodie wrote: Fang is v disappointing to stay in.
Just in the process of planning some basic routes again for visit in June.

As I am coming at the same time of year, is Tha Ton a good spot to stay as an overnighter? It looks to be a nice place to visit. I can tie this up with the Thoad Thai and Doi Mae Salong trip I missed last time due to heavy rain.

Cheers

T

Jun 1, 2008
tonykiwi wrote: [quote quote=Rhodie]Fang is v disappointing to stay in.
Just in the process of planning some basic routes again for visit in June.

As I am coming at the same time of year, is Tha Ton a good spot to stay as an overnighter? It looks to be a nice place to visit. I can tie this up with the Thoad Thai and Doi Mae Salong trip I missed last time due to heavy rain.

Cheers

T
Any local comment please?

Jun 21, 2006
Tony, its really pretty simple to distinguish these 2 towns for an overnighter.

Fang is a better place for a beer, maybe a few pg girls, and a bit of a boogie. accomodation I use the Phumanee which has great, clean rooms for 300baht at the last time of knowing.

Tha Ton I would stay if you fancy dinner by the river, an early night and a possible trip to the temple on the hill in the morning.

Either way they are only about 25kms apart so you cant really make a wrong decision.

Good Luck.

Mar 15, 2003
www.daveearly.com
dirthonk wrote: Tony, its really pretty simple to distinguish these 2 towns for an overnighter.

Fang is a better place for a beer, maybe a few pg girls, and a bit of a boogie. accomodation I use the Phumanee which has great, clean rooms for 300baht at the last time of knowing.

Tha Ton I would stay if you fancy dinner by the river, an early night and a possible trip to the temple on the hill in the morning.

Either way they are only about 25kms apart so you cant really make a wrong decision.

Good Luck.
:thumbup: I can't think of a better summary. Nice one, DirtHonk.

Jun 1, 2008
Thanks Luke and Dave, appreciated

Last time the weather buggered me up for the ride so hopefully I can get two or three days around there this time. There seems to be a lot to see around that particular area. Not long now :) It should be a good warm up ride for my longer one planned down the laos border

Cheers

T

Kiwi Cruiser

Ben Kemp
Staff member
May 26, 2007
Thailand
Hi Tony

Personally, I'd rather stab myself in the eye with a screwdriver than stay a night in Tha Ton. :lol-sign:

Fang is a delightful little town for a night or two, with some nice restaurants, bars, disco etc. However, you've got to get onto the back streets to find the highlights.

:idea: If you get to Chiang Rai and want some company for a beer or a ride, PM me. All i need is an excuse to stop working... :angel: