Northern Thailand and Laos on a CRF250L - end of 2014

Wayne66

Ol'Timer
Subscribed
Dec 7, 2022
Chum Phae area
This was the first time I had done a trip report so please bear with it

When things change quickly in your life you have to adapt quickly. So much for the saying ‘always expect the unexpected’ Ummmmmm well never mind, just get on with life.
As most of you are aware 'No Plan Survives First Contact’. So a complete change of plan for the time being, out the window goes the Euro Russia trip and the Sth America trip. I need a quick fix, so SE Asia here I come. I will be spending a week in BKK with my daughter then taking the train to CM to pick up my hire bike. Which they say I can take across the border, time will tell.
The plan is to tour Northern Thailand then cross at some point in to Laos and tour Laos. If I get time I may go across in to Cambodia before going back to CM.

Sorting out the trip was not much of a problem.
I booked the bike through Rider's Corner Bar & Restaurant - Chiang Mai Bikers Hotel Thailand All detail on the site
Flights were booked direct with Emirates
My train from BKK to CM was booked through Royal exclusive travel and have an email address if anyone wants it. I found them really helpfull and my ticket was waiting for me at my hotel in BKK today
The only accommodation I have booked is my first week with my daughter in BKK, and I will be booking my first night in CM till I get myself sorted out.
I have also registered on Couchsurfing, so as well as staying in Hotels and hostel I may give it ago.

The bike I have booked is a CRF250 L with a rack on the back. I intend on using straps/bungies to fasten my bergan to the back. I brought all my own riding gear with me as I know I can get on with it. I also brought my own tools as there are non provided. But only taking the basics.

For photographing and videoing the trip I will be using my Nokia Lumia and my donated Apple 4s ( so I can use locals sim cards as well as keep my UK one going) (thanks Malc). I have also got the GoPro Hero 4 with I have used before on many occasions (quality I find to be good) but now I have the Apple I can remote operate it also, tried it and it was good.

I have got the Thailand maps downloaded on my Nokia but can’t get any for Laos. I do have paper maps of Thailand, Laos and Cambodia (in case I go) and I will be taking my Silva compass so there will be a bit of old school navigation.
Also got myself a Garmin Montana, using it with Free worldwide Garmin maps from OpenStreetMap which I have found to be great detail, time will tell when I am on the road.

WP_20141103_001 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

WP_20141103_002 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

I will update the RR when I can but no doubt there will be places where I get no internet.
Apart from my trip to Hamburg which I put on here this will be my first longer RR so please bare with me

7 days to go till I pick up the bike, more time relaxing in BKK with my daughter

Wayne

Last edited:

Wayne66

Ol'Timer
Subscribed
Dec 7, 2022
Chum Phae area
Day -2

Well my daughter has gone back home, she is in the air as I am writing this, had a good time in BKK with her but now it is time to get on with the trip
On the night train to CM later on today and get the bike on the 13th
I have got a rough route sorted out, so lets see if the plan survives first contact....doubt it

Arrived at the train station in good time as I need to get my ticket for the return journey back to Bangkok on the night of the 18 Jan 2015, managed to get the same type of compartment I have got for this journey. Whilst at the station I passed the time away talking to folk…as you do! Some German girls, but its been along time since I used any German and a couple from the UK. It was a good time and it passed the time

In typical Thai train times we set off late, but only by 20 mins so that was not too bad. The compartment was ok but a little cramped and there was no way to lock the door once you left. Once we set off I went to the restaurant car for some food and it was very nice, ‘seafood spicy platter’ had it with a coke and a smile. No beer allowed on the train due to an incident previous. If you need anymore info on trains in Thailand then I suggest The Man in Seat Sixty-One - the train travel guide...
as the website to use, its very informative. I went to sleep at about 2230hrs and was awake again at 0230hrs shaking like a rabid dog, what with the temperature drop further up north and the aircon in the compartment I was freezing, no way to turn aircon off so back on with the trousers and my fleece which I had on me with flying from the UK, problem sorted and eventually awoke again at 0650hrs. Coffee time!

I am sat on the train still as I am typing this in note form ready to do an update as and when I can, using the time wisely, how long will that last?! Looking out the window the scenery is great and I am looking forward to getting the bike tomorrow and setting off.
Arrived at Riderscorner, got my room 380Bht for one night with aircon
Time to chill and sort out the kit ready for tomorrow.

IMG_0248 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_0250 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_0251 by Wayne 66, on Flickr
Hua Lamphong Station, BKK

IMG_0252 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_0253 by Wayne 66, on Flickr
Japanese Rail carriage and my compartment

IMG_0254 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_0255 by Wayne 66, on Flickr
Rider's Corner Bar & Restaurant - Chiang Mai Bikers Hotel Thailand

Wayne

Wayne66

Ol'Timer
Subscribed
Dec 7, 2022
Chum Phae area
Day -1

I went to pick up the bike this evening so I could get it ready for the morning and I can get an earlyish start tomorrow
Its brand new, only of 500km on the clock.......Not a good idea just in case i drop it ...I can see the Baht signs now
Got him to swap out the fairing for some older stuff so it won't matter if I scuff it little.
Took the pics in the place where I got it from.
Roll on the morning and I am setting off for Phrae on my first leg
Also got all my paperwork to get into Laos

IMG_0257 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_0258 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

Wayne

Reactions: Dodraugen

Wayne66

Ol'Timer
Subscribed
Dec 7, 2022
Chum Phae area
Day 1 Chiang Mai to Phrae

Well, had a good if not long day today, although I did more miles than I had planned to do. Scenery was great and I travelled down some narrow roads through a National park. I got to the Ghost Canyon at about 1530hrs so it gave me time to look around before it closed at 1800hrs
Got to the hotel at about 1830hrs, showerd and out for some food, Hotel not too bad although it was 490 Bht which was more than I intended to pay. The hotel is the Namthong in the middle of Phrae, wouldn't say they were bike friendly as I had to leave it in the carpark with the rest of the cars, they did assure me that there is security on all night, we will see
The Canyon was quite good, the rock formation are a bit weird as you can see by the photos below
Only had about 6 near misses today so thats not too bad for a starter
You need eyes in the back of your head
Will try and get some video in the next couple of day also

Screen Shot 2014-12-13 at 17.35.28 by Wayne 66, on Flickr
The route taken from the Montana 600

IMG_0261 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_0262 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_0269 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_0272 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_0277 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_0281 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_0286 by Wayne 66, on Flickr
Ghost Canyon, Phrae

Wayne

Wayne66

Ol'Timer
Subscribed
Dec 7, 2022
Chum Phae area
Day 2, Phrae to Sukhothai

Sat with a bottle of LEO beer and relaxing whilst I am writing this. I didn’t know if I would be bothered to write a report every time i got chance but I am quite enjoying it. Got an early start today, up at 0600 and on the road for 0700 thanks to a bus load of Chinese tourists that were making a noise in the hotel I stayed in. As I was close to the dining area I could not help but hear them, never mind it gave me an excuse to get up and get going. Phrae to Sukhothai

Screen Shot 2014-12-14 at 17.13.54 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

I was a good trip and very scenic, I didn’t have breakfast, thought I would get some miles under the belt before I stopped to eat. Riding from one village to the next was good and all the smells of food which was cooking at that time in the morning was making me really peckish. So I decide to pull in, I was also thinking about fuel and lucky the place I decided to pull in to was also selling fuel, so what with the little bit of Thai I have managed to learn and a lot of pointing and gestures I got fuel for the bike and fuel for me….sorted.

IMG_0288 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_0290 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_0292 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_0295 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_0296 by Wayne 66, on Flickr
Breakfast

Time to hit the road again and get to Sukhothai, on the route I kept stopping to play with the Gopro and try and get used to using the app I have for my iPhone, it allows me the use it wirelessly

The route I took was a mixture of rolling hills and flat rice paddy fields with a few villages (towns) thrown in for good measure, so all in all it was a good journey

IMG_0297 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_0300 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_0301 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

I got to Sukhothai for lunchtime, about 1200 and stopped at a coffee house with wifi so I could look at RA and the HUBB to try and find some recommended digs. Found the Garden house on RA..coords N17.00484 E99.48989, very nice little bungalows, paid 300 Bht with a fan, you could pay extra for aircon…but being a Yorkshire man….

IMG_0302 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_0303 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_0308 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

Once I was sorted out and had chilled for a bit it was time to do a bit of sight seeing. I went a visited the Sukhothai Historical Park…coords N17.01816° E99.70673°, it was a really nice place and in my mind well worth a visit. It cost 100 Bht to get in and an extra 20 Bht if you want to ride round on your bike…so guess what?….The bike it was!

IMG_0320 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_0322 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_0326 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_0343 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_0345 by Wayne 66, on Flickr
Spent a bit of time talking to this lady using ThaiEnglish and gestures

IMG_0348 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_0350 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

This take me to now, sat here with a beer writing this to notes so I can cut and paste it later…once the photos have uploaded to Flickr, think I might have cobwebs before that happens.

My tea tonight, Chicken Panang Sukhothai style

IMG_0383 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

Wayne

Reactions: Ughetto

Ejeas

Nov 29, 2022
usa
www.ejeasmall.com
Great effort on your first trip report! Embracing change and adapting swiftly is crucial in life's journey. Remember, unexpected twists make it all the more exciting. Keep exploring and cherishing every moment!

Wayne66

Ol'Timer
Subscribed
Dec 7, 2022
Chum Phae area
Great effort on your first trip report! Embracing change and adapting swiftly is crucial in life's journey. Remember, unexpected twists make it all the more exciting. Keep exploring and cherishing every moment!
Thanks, I would like to think they have improved over time 555

shite marriage, even worse divorce, It was good to get out of the UK and do something I enjoy

Wayne

Wayne66

Ol'Timer
Subscribed
Dec 7, 2022
Chum Phae area
Day 3 Sukhothai to Tha Song Yang

Yet another early start today, was on the road for about for about 0745, stopped off at a petrol station which had a 7/11 shop, got a 6 litre of water and filled up my CamelBak and binned the rest so I could fill it up with petrol. Only got a 7 litre tank and was crossing some big mountains today.
So better to be safe than sorry, as it happens I didn’t need it.
The route to start off with was pretty long and mundane although the scenery was fine the road was not, then I got on to the 1175, now that was fun

Day 3 Sukhothai to Tha Song Yang by Wayne 66, on Flickr

Google Earth Elevation shot by Wayne 66, on Flickr

I did about 80 odd K’s then decided that I needed food so I stopped in Tak, food was great and cheap. That was the boring bit of the road done also.

IMG_0384 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_0385 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

Next up was Tak to Ban Mae la, don’t know why I went there? It was up near the Myanmar Border and it gave me a good route to do over the mountains on some more interesting roads, just what the Doctor ordered.

Saw some great sights/scenery on route and had some good roads to ride on. About 2 thirds in to the 1175 I was in need of a break so I just stopped off at the next little village I came across and went to the little shop, had a cold Nescafe out of a tin and a Red Bull type drink, what a pick me up

IMG_0415 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_0417 by Wayne 66, on Flickr
Refreshments

During the very early stages of the 1175 I saw a big white budda, had to go check it out, although when I got up there I could not find a way to get to the front to take a pic so had to make do with one from a distance but I got the Temple close up instead.
Even managed to get in a traffic jam of cows and a lone woman trying to keep them in check

IMG_0386 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_0393 by Wayne 66, on Flickr
Went over those mountains in the distance

IMG_0396 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_0398 by Wayne 66, on Flickr
The temple where the White Budda was

IMG_0404 by Wayne 66, on Flickr
White Budda in the distance

IMG_0412 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_0410 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_0419 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_0424 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_0427 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_0429 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

Eventually made I it to Ban Mae la and decide that I had been and seen and it was time to move on, nowt much happening. So I re-joined the 105 and headed for Tha Song Yang. Only a small town but had a 7/11 and some local eateries. Stopped off in one of the eateries and in my best Thai for hotel I was pointed in the direction of the place where I will lay my head tonight, which is the BP Resort, coords N17.24866° E98.21464°. Nice little bungalows, 400 Bht with aircon…because boy I needed it and the bike is parked right outside, sorted

IMG_0432 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_0433 by Wayne 66, on Flickr
The room for the night

Popped back into Tha Song Yang for evening meal and now to plan for tomorrow, a long boring route up to Mae Hong Son where I think I am going to stay of a couple of days and do a ride out.

Up to now I am averaging about 1000 Bht a day, give or take a bit, so about 20 quid, not too bad for fuel, food and bed.
Still got another 13 days or so before I head in to Laos

Wayne

Wayne66

Ol'Timer
Subscribed
Dec 7, 2022
Chum Phae area
Day 4 Tha Song Yang to Mae Hong Son

Wow what a day, long but great. So much for me saying that the road was going going to be long and boring….far from it. It was a brilliant ride, it was 200 mile of so off twists with a bit of loose stuff thrown in for good measure, it would be worth doing again another time.

Tha Song Yang to Mae Hong Son by Wayne 66, on Flickr

Tha Song Yang to Mae Hong Son1 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

Set off again at about 0745hrs and decide to stop on route for breakfast as per the norm. It was really misty for the first couple of hours and I was forever wiping my goggles so I could see where I was going. Also got to a point where i was thinking I needed some fuel and doing the gravel dirt road and going up and down the hills/mountains was zapping the juice. Came across a construction team who were working on the road (loosely speaking of course) and point at the tank, they looked blank at first then cottoned on, they pointed back the way I had came, Ummmm not a good move going backwards when you need fuel, anyway it was only about 2 k’s back down the road, I didn’t see it the first time due to mist and a lorry.

Some scenes from the day, although didn't stop much for photos, I was enjoying the road

IMG_0447 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_0450 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_0452 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_0454 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_0455 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_0457 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

Breakfast came about 1000 at a place called Sobmoei, food was the usual, fried rice with pork and veg, 'I will soon look like a bit of rice’, but hey if you eating local!

IMG_0456 by Wayne 66, on Flickr
Breakfast spot

The scenery was great, the road awesome, and after a couple more stops to refuel the bike and me I finally got the MHS at about 1415hrs
Found a coffee house with wifi, sat with a Expresso Frappe and looked on HUBB and RA for a place to stay.
Found the Friends House, coords..N19.30019° E97.96727°, talk about basic haha but at least its a bed, 300 Bht for the night, 6 quid so can’t grumble.

IMG_0465 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_0466 by Wayne 66, on Flickr
The room for a couple of nights

Probably going to stop a couple of days and do a ride out, want to visit Ban Rak Thai and some other places

Its getting near beer o’clock and food time. A nice curry with something else other than rice!

Wayne

Wayne66

Ol'Timer
Subscribed
Dec 7, 2022
Chum Phae area
Day 5 Mae Hong Son to Ban Rak Thai, staying local

Decided to stay local to Mae Hong Son today and visit a village I had planned to do and what people on here had said go visit. So off I went...
Thought I might get a lay in but the Cockerels were making a right racket at 0600 this morning...not amused 555

Day 5 Mae Hong Son to Ban Rak Thai and back by Wayne 66, on Flickr

Day 5 Mae Hong Son to Ban Rak Thai by Wayne 66, on Flickr
It was a good climb, glad i was on the bike

But it was still around 1000hrs when I set off, I just chilled in my 5* accommodation till then.
It was a good ride to the village of Ban Rak Thai which I a village of Chinese Decendents I think and they grow and do their own tea, very nice it was too, I tried the Ging Sing and the morning tea, all free which was nice, also had some grub. I purposely didn't order any rice but it came with it any way
But it was very nice, I had Yunnan style fried pork done in Chinese herbs and honey

IMG_0480 by Wayne 66, on Flickr
Tea and roasted almonds, Ging Sing on left

IMG_0481 by Wayne 66, on Flickr
Good Food

IMG_0484 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_0487 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_0488 by Wayne 66, on Flickr
The village market area

IMG_0490 by Wayne 66, on Flickr
Where I had food

Stayed there for a while and on the way back I stopped of at the Pha Sua Waterfall, quite disappointed actually as there was not much water.

IMG_0503 by Wayne 66, on Flickr
Think you can just see the water

From there I came back into Mae Hong Son and visited Wat Phrathat Doi Kong Mu (Temple on the hill in Mae Hong Son). There was a great view from up there over looking Mae Hong Son and the Airport

IMG_0506 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_0507 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_0508 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

Back to the room and out to the bar I was in last night for a well earned Beer and sit and do this report

Some other pics from the day

IMG_0504 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_0499 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_0495 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_0496 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_0494 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_0469 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_0471 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_0475 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_0473 by Wayne 66, on Flickr
Its not complete without a selfie

Wayne

Wayne66

Ol'Timer
Subscribed
Dec 7, 2022
Chum Phae area
Day 6 Mae Hong Son to Pai

Had a steady ride today from Mae Hong Son to Pai.

Day 6 Mae Hong Son to Pai by Wayne 66, on Flickr

Day 6 Mae Hong Son to Pai 1 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

Set off about 0815hrs and took it nice and easy stopping to take some photos and my daily on the road ritual at stopping somewhere on route and grabbing breakfast….bonus, no rice had noodles instead, it was really tasty. It was done with beef and spices :thumbup1:

IMG_0521 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_0522 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_0523 by Wayne 66, on Flickr
Breakfast spot and food

The roads were up to there usual standard of lots of bends and curves to keep you concentrating. Also lots of scenery and great views

IMG_0525 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_0529 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_0531 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_0533 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_0534 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_0535 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_0536 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

Got myself a room, like a little Chalet type thing, quite nice and managed to get it for 400 Bht with a fan a night, staying for two nights. Pichai House, coords from the Montanna N19.21421 E098. 26402.

IMG_0538 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_0539 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_0540 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

Going to ride local tomorrow as there are lots of things to visit in and around the area, Hot Springs, Waterfalls and Pai Canyon.
So I should have a good day

Wayne

Last edited:

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
Had a steady ride today from Mae Hong Son to Pai.

Day 6 Mae Hong Son to Pai by Wayne 66, on Flickr

Day 6 Mae Hong Son to Pai 1 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

Set off about 0815hrs and took it nice and easy stopping to take some photos and my daily on the road ritual at stopping somewhere on route and grabbing breakfast….bonus, no rice had noodles instead, it was really tasty. It was done with beef and spices :thumbup1:

IMG_0521 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_0522 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_0523 by Wayne 66, on Flickr
Breakfast spot and food

The roads were up to there usual standard of lots of bends and curves to keep you concentrating. Also lots of scenery and great views

IMG_0525 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_0529 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_0531 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_0533 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_0534 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_0535 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_0536 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

Got myself a room, like a little Chalet type thing, quite nice and managed to get it for 400 Bht with a fan a night, staying for two nights. Pichai House, coords from the Montanna N19.21421 E098. 26402.

IMG_0538 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_0539 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_0540 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

Going to ride local tomorrow as there are lots of things to visit in and around the area, Hot Springs, Waterfalls and Pai Canyon.
So I should have a good day

Wayne

What a great little cozy winner - superb value for money - Pichai House eh.

Wayne66

Ol'Timer
Subscribed
Dec 7, 2022
Chum Phae area
Day 7 Pai area

The second day in Pai, set off for a bit of a look round at about 0900hrs.

Day 7 Pai area by Wayne 66, on Flickr

Day 7 Pai area 1 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

On route I passed a Elephant Village on some back road, the village was a Karen Tribe village. I was good to see the Elephants out and about.
I took a few track on my route but some were dead ends and others were blocked by Elephant tours but it was good to get off road for a bit to have a play.

IMG_0550 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_0593 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

First stop was the World War 2 Memorial Bridge just to the south of Pai, it was a good sight to see and a little bit like the Bridge over the River Kwai.
Coords from the Montana, N19.17869 E098.27890

IMG_0555 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_0554 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_0556 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_0557 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

Then it was a sorted to Pai Canyon, very nice and scenic. There were some narrow paths to walk along with some very steep drops at either side of you. Good place to visit. Coords from the Montana N19.18283 E098.27185

IMG_0560 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_0561 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_0564 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_0567 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

After walking into the Canyon I was getting a bit hot with wearing my bike gear so it was off to Pai Hot Springs, as I pulled up I suddenly became very popular, 3 women accosted me in the car park, not that I minded, they wanted their photo taken with me, its not the first time but it was the first time I got them to return the favour

IMG_0569 by Wayne 66, on Flickr
Mr Popular, haha!

It was really good and once I had spent a bit of time walking around I went in the water for half an hour or so. The water was about 36 degrees C, very relaxing. I looked like a prune when I got out. Cost was 200 Bht, Coords from the Montana N19.18432 E098.2856.

IMG_0590 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_0572 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_0577 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_0574 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_0578 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_0582 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_0585 by Wayne 66, on Flickr
Allegedly you're not allowed to boil eggs in the water

Back on with the bike gear and back to Pai

I have spent a fair bit of time in the Pai Pub, which is about 2 doors down from where I am staying and is where I am sat now doing this report. Music food and internet are great
The bar is owned by a Aussie guy called Rowan, he has made me feel very welcome and would recommend to anyone. He also does rooms although I only found out after getting mine. He is a biker and easy to get on with.

IMG_0594 by Wayne 66, on Flickr
The Pai Pub

IMG_0595 by Wayne 66, on Flickr
Nice little 125 Cafe Racer, think he said it cost him about $60

Wayne

Wayne66

Ol'Timer
Subscribed
Dec 7, 2022
Chum Phae area
Day 8 Pai to Fang, but then a change of plan

Set off today with the intentions of going to Fang for the night before moving on to Chiang Rai
Things did not go according to plan.

Day 8 Pai to Fang, then on to Chiang Rai by Wayne 66, on Flickr

Day 8 Pai to Fang, then on to Chiang Rai1 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

I set off at about 0815hrs towards Fang. The road was up to the usual standard of twists and turns with great scenery. Some of the switchbacks were that sharp my Montana was having a fit and thought I was turning round therefore it was shouting in my ear ‘Recalculating, Recalculating’. There was a lot of mist this morning and it was cold, that clod my hands were going numb. As I climbed higher I came out off the mist and it to the sun, although it was warmer it was still a bit nippy.

As you can see from the photo the mist looked like a thick blanket of cotton wool in some place as I was looking down on it

IMG_0615 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

As I started to drop down a bit further I came a across a nice looking coffee stop. Had a Latte to warm me up and Strawberry fruit slice, very nice indeed. Then the woman behind the counter gave me a free cup of tea, she must have thought I need it……I did.

IMG_0622 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_0623 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_0624 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_0625 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

Once I got to Fang I had a ride round, because as I was riding in the first impressions were not good…my assumptions were good and it wasn't very good, I only saw one decent hotel and there was not a great deal in the town. I had a decision to make, stay in Fang or carry on to CR

CR it was, So I travelled about 5 clicks back in the direction I had just come from then turned onto the 108, straight on to a long straight road, I was hoping that this wasn’t it for the next 100 k’s give or take. I wasn’t disappointed, after about 5 K’s the bends started, it was one of the better roads I have been on

IMG_0627 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_0628 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_0631 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_0633 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_0635 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_0637 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_0644 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

Eventully got to CR at around 1500hrs and stopped for a drink and used the HUBB and Rideasia.net to find a room, Settled on the Red Rose from the RA site, they have themed rooms. Awesome, and all for the sum of 500 Bht or 10 GBP. Coords N 19.53601 E 099.49779
Staying here for at least 2 nights, maybe 3 as there are a couple things I want to do.

IMG_0649 by Wayne 66, on Flickr
The rooms

IMG_0650 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_0651 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_0652 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_0653 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_0655 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

Wayne

Wayne66

Ol'Timer
Subscribed
Dec 7, 2022
Chum Phae area
Day 9 Chiang Rai local

Stayed local round CR today and visited 2 temples

The Black House (Temple) or Thawan Duchanee is about 10 K’s north of CR, coords N19.59516 E099.51617
It is a bizarre temple but well worth a visit. It reminds me of more of an Occult Temple rather than one to worship a Budda. It was very interesting walking around, and you must look at the toilet! A bit strange I know but it was filled with Phalic symbols, brought tears to my eyes just looking!
I would recommend it anyone visiting the area, and considering its a Sunday it wasn’t very busy.

IMG_0675 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_0676 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_0678 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_0681 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_0685 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_0695 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_0701 by Wayne 66, on Flickr
The Toilet

IMG_0702 by Wayne 66, on Flickr
Phalic Symbols

IMG_0711 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_0714 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_0727 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_0747 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

The White Temple or Wat Rong Khun is about 10 K’s south of CR, coords N19.49447 E099.45766
Again I would recommend this if you are coming to CR. It is quite a new build compared to some of the other Temples in the area but the work that has gone in to it is very good.
The main hall has a budda in it but you cant take photos inside, and its shoes off before you go in.
There are also a lot of tourist type shops to look in as well as a very small museum, where at the end you can watch the craftsmen working.

IMG_0763 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_0765 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_0770 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_0772 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_0773 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_0785 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_0793 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_0796 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_0797 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

Going to chill for the rest of the day and go to the cinema

Wayne

Wayne66

Ol'Timer
Subscribed
Dec 7, 2022
Chum Phae area
Day 10 Chiang Rai local area

Had a good relaxed day today, but still went out for a bit of a ride. I did some tracks just to the NW of Chiang Rai. Just nice and steady, nothing too strenuous as I was on my own. All the same it was enjoyable.
Setting of for further up north tomorrow and passed the Golden Triangle area.

Day 10 Chinag Rai local area by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_0804 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_0803 by Wayne 66, on Flickr
Local views round CR

Also visited the Central Plaza again where I went to the cinema last night and had some good Japanese food

IMG_0805 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

Wayne

Wayne66

Ol'Timer
Subscribed
Dec 7, 2022
Chum Phae area
Day 11 Chiang Rai to Mae Sai

Had a steady ride to Mae Sai today.

Day 11 Chiang Rai to Mae Sai by Wayne 66, on Flickr

Day 11 Chiang Rai to Mae Sai1 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

I didn’t go straight up north on route 1, instead I took a more scenic route going north east on the 1232 the on to CHR 4013. I stopped along side the River Kok for a while.

IMG_0806 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_0808 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_0809 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

From there I crossed the River Kok and went on to the CHR 4050. This took me on to the 1209. Once I got on to the 1098 I came across a really nice Temple area, Wat Muen Budda Mettakhunaram
Coords from the Montana N20.16547 E99.99552. There was a massive Budda sat on top of a large mound.

IMG_0812 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_0813 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_0814 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_0816 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_0819 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

Where the 1098 meets up with the 1016 I stopped for my breakfast in Ban Nong Khrok, had a really nice noodle soup, noodles and offal in a soup mix, sounds disgusting but it tasted good.

IMG_0821 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_0820 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

Then it was on to the CHR 4001 heading in a northerly direction still I picked up the CHR 1009/1290 straight in to Mae Sai

All in all not a bad route and it was a lot better than sitting on a main road.

Once in Mae Sai it was coffee time and a chance to look for some accommodation. Looked on the usual sites and decided on Kong Kam House, from the rideasia site, coords from the Montana N20.44442 E99.88199, a nice room for 500 Bht

IMG_0823 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_0824 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_0825 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

General Pics of Mae Sai

IMG_0826 by Wayne 66, on Flickr
Looking at the border with Myanmar

IMG_0828 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_0832 by Wayne 66, on Flickr
The Border Gate

IMG_0833 by Wayne 66, on Flickr
Looking back from the border gate

IMG_0836 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_0835 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_0838 by Wayne 66, on Flickr
Just had to...it was waving at me

Wayne

Wayne66

Ol'Timer
Subscribed
Dec 7, 2022
Chum Phae area
Still in Mae Sai

Went out for a wander and came across Wat Phra That Doi Wao at the top of a lot of steps. It was worth going to the top and having a look. There is a good view once you get up there, so its well worth the climb. There is a road if you are on a bike or in a vehicle.

IMG_0839 by Wayne 66, on Flickr
The steps up

IMG_0840 by Wayne 66, on Flickr
Looking back down

IMG_0843 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_0845 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_0847 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_0853 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_0855 by Wayne 66, on Flickr
Myanmar

IMG_0856 by Wayne 66, on Flickr
Thailand (you can see the border crossing point with the blueish roof on the left)

IMG_0854 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

Wayne

Reactions: Gregthemagnificent

Wayne66

Ol'Timer
Subscribed
Dec 7, 2022
Chum Phae area
Day 12 Mae Sai to Chiang Khong Pt1

I have had a really good day today and seen some really great sights.

Day 12 Mae Sai to Chiang Khong by Wayne 66, on Flickr

Day 12 Mae Sai to Chiang Khong1 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

I didn’t go straight down the 1290 instead I took a lot of back roads and followed the Ruak River keeping it on my left, this was one a little road which ran between the CHR 1041 and the 1290.

IMG_0859 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_0862 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_0864 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_0865 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

Eventually I had to take the 1290 and I passed through a village called Ban Wang Lao, just through the village I climbed a hill to look at the view and take some photos

IMG_0867 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_0869 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_0870 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_0871 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_0875 by Wayne 66, on Flickr
The first view of the mighty Mekong River

Then it was on to the Golden Triangle area on the 1290, me and the trusty CRF made it after covering 2000km what a journey it been so far and the journey is still only half way through.

IMG_0878 by Wayne 66, on Flickr
Where the Ruak River meets the Mekong River

IMG_0883 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_0886 by Wayne 66, on Flickr
Laos

IMG_0887 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_0893 by Wayne 66, on Flickr
Myanmar on left and Laos on right

IMG_0894 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_0897 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

Wayne

Wayne66

Ol'Timer
Subscribed
Dec 7, 2022
Chum Phae area
Day 12 Mae Sai to Chiang Khong Pt2

Back on the 1290 all the way to Chiang Saen where I stopped and had some breakfast, a nice American Breakfast (as they called it), not a bad spread for a couple of quid.

IMG_0898 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

Once out of Chiang Saen I ended up on the 1129 for awhile before going on to the CHR 4007 following the edge of the Mighty Mekong River as close as I could over my left shoulder

Came across this Wat/Temple on a hill, couldn't find a name, but what a view from the top

IMG_0905 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_0908 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_0914 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_0917 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_0918 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_0919 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_0922 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_0932 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_0939 by Wayne 66, on Flickr
Getting the boots wet in the Mekong River

I stayed on the CHR 4007 till I got back to the 1129 and visited a Coffee House/ Restautant called The View, coords N20.34001 E100.3741,
and yes it was a great view. So I sat and chilled with a small Singar looking across the Mekong River looking into Laos.

IMG_0944 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_0943 by Wayne 66, on Flickr
A beer with a view of Laos

Once I had left there it was a 9km run into Chiang Khong

IMG_0927 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_0928 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

I had already done my research on places to stay and opted for the Nam Khong Riverside Hotel, from the Rideasia site, a room with a great view, sat on my balcony over looking the Mekong and looking into Houayxay in Laos and I think I can see the old French Fort that I want to visit when I get over there.

IMG_0949 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_0956 by Wayne 66, on Flickr
The view from my balcony for Christmas Day

Chilling here now for the rest of today and Christmas Day, moving on on Boxing Day to go to the Border Crossing for Laos. Then I will see if my paperwork works!?

Wayne

Wayne66

Ol'Timer
Subscribed
Dec 7, 2022
Chum Phae area
Day 13 Chiang Khong

The morning was spent sat relaxing, looking across the river into Laos.
Then it was out for Christmas Drinks

Had a great Christmas Day. I spent it at The Hub Pub, the Pub is owned and run by a guy from Liverpool called Alan and his wife May, as well as the pub they also have a hostel next door to the pub. It was a day when total strangers, including some locals just had a good time eating and drinking
I was made to feel welcome, the hospitality of Alan and May was great
If you are in the area I would recommend popping in for food, drink, or a good old cheap bed for the night

IMG_0976 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_0975 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_0977 by Wayne 66, on Flickr
Alan

IMG_0978 by Wayne 66, on Flickr
May

IMG_0979 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_0983 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_0981 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_0988 by Wayne 66, on Flickr
Coords

Wayne

Last edited:

Wayne66

Ol'Timer
Subscribed
Dec 7, 2022
Chum Phae area
Day 14 Chiang Khong to Thung Chang via Thoeng

Woke up to this, a good view before a good days ride.

IMG_0990 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

What a ride I had today through some great countryside and mountain climbs with lots of bends.

Day 14 Chiang Khong to Thung Chang via Thoeng by Wayne 66, on Flickr

Day 14 Chiang Khong to Thung Chang via Thoeng 1 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

I set off from Chiang Khong at around 0815hrs as I knew it was going to be a long day to get to my destination Chiang Klang, but I ended up in a place called Thung Chang
From Chaing Khong is took the 1020 then I went on to the 1155 which was a really good road through the mountains with some terrific views.

IMG_0991 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_0994 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_0999 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

I went into Thoeng to visit a guy from the Netherlands who lives in the area, I have been in touch with him from the Rideasia site, I had some very nice coffee and some Christmas bread and his hospitality was great, Thank you Brake034.
Once I has left his house I used the 1021 and then the 1148, again through the mountains, towards Chiang Klang,

IMG_1008 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_1012 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_1013 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_1020 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_1022 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_1023 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

I did my usual ride through the little town to see what was happening , not a lot, as I could not find any place to sleep in Chiang Klang or and good eateries I decided to push on a bit further and I needed fuel and I got a petrol station from the Satnav which was a bout 2 k’s away. After that was a place called Thung Chang which after sitting and having a Mocha Frappe and asking for hotels I managed to get the place where i am now, The Nice Bungalows in Thung Chang....coords N19.41831 E100.87993, not a bad room, got a bed and shower room with the all important Wifi.

IMG_1025 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

Tomorrow is the short journey to the border and on into Laos, fingers crossed. Going to get there nice and early as I don’t know how long it will take to cross.

Wayne

Wayne66

Ol'Timer
Subscribed
Dec 7, 2022
Chum Phae area
Day 15 Thung Chang, Thailand to Sayaboury, Laos

Up and out early this morning so I could get to the border sooner rather than later the ride from Thung Chang to to the Thailand/Laos border crossing certainly woke me up, it was really cold and covered in mist in the hills, route 101 which took me straight in to the crossing was a nice road with lots of ups and downs with the usual bends and twists.

Day 15 Thung Chang to Sayaboury, Laos by Wayne 66, on Flickr

Day 15 Thung Chang to Sayaboury, Laos1 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

Once I got to the border it was already very busy, there was a market there also and a lots of people buying and selling goods.

IMG_1028 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_1030 by Wayne 66, on Flickr
The Customs Building Thailand

I went straight to the departures window at the passport control and gave then my passport, arrivals card and the copies of the paperwork given to me by the rental people. In return he gave me some paperwork to fill out which was something to do with me being allowed back in with me taking one of there bikes out of the country. One of the guys behind the desk was f\very helpful and came outside to fill it in for me (sorted). Once that was done they stamped me out of the country and then sent me to customs with the other half of the paperwork I had with me. Again they were very helpful in the office and there was no messing about. I was given my customs paperwork, he pointed out that I have to be back in Thailand no later than the 25 Jan 15 or face a fine, and then told have a good trip.
So armed with my passport, Information of Conveyance letter from Immigration and my Customs form I went down the hill to leave Thailand.
No problems, I was waved through once they had seen all my paperwork.
Got to the Laos Border, the guy there looked at all my paperwork and pointed out that they had put the 26 Dec on the Information of Conveyance letter and the correct date in my passport, the 27th
So I was sent back to the Thai border to get it sorted.
Back at the Laos Border post, I was this time let through.
Went to the arrivals office where I had to get a visa on arrival, so after filling in an arrivals card and paying $35 I was given my Laos Visa for 30 days. Next up was customs, Gave them my passport and the Customs paperwork and Information of Conveyance letter from Thailand and in a few minutes I was given a green TIPV and parted with 200 Bht.

IMG_1032 by Wayne 66, on Flickr
Laos Customs in the wooden hut

IMG_1033 by Wayne 66, on Flickr
The Visa Office, Laos

That was it all done, off I went to the last Laos Border control point where they checked my paperwork and I was them allowed through. I left a parting gesture of a unopened packet of Oreo biscuits which he was quite happy with.

IMG_1035 by Wayne 66, on Flickr
The first photo inside Laos

First stop was to find somewhere for breakfast and sort out where I was going to end up this evening. Found a nice little place on the right just down the road, had some good food and sorted myself out for the ride to Sayaboury along the 4A

IMG_1036 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_1037 by Wayne 66, on Flickr
Breakfast

The 4A was quite a good ride, it stared off quite a big, wide road then as it progressed just after the big Power Station it went on to a narrow road all the way to Sayaboury. It was very enjoyable with some stunning scenery.
They do however like putting the stone chippings on the corners as I found out, it gave me a bit of a ar*e twitch the first time I came found the bend on to it. I was quite regular and you just got used to it. The villages I passed through high in the hills were great, kids and adults waving as you went through.

IMG_1038 by Wayne 66, on Flickr
Early 4A

IMG_1039 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_1043 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_1044 by Wayne 66, on Flickr
Later on the 4A

IMG_1046 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_1047 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_1048 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_1051 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

Got to Sayaboury at about 1430hrs, went to the bank to change some money, sat and had a cold beer with some spicy squid and rice while try to find some place to sleep.
I went for a ride round and after trying a couple of places I eventually picked the Makee Guest House N 19.16078 E101.42769, the bike is parked round the side of the building out of the way.

IMG_1053 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_1056 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_1052 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

Wayne

Wayne66

Ol'Timer
Subscribed
Dec 7, 2022
Chum Phae area
Day 16 Sayaboury to Luang Prabang

Had a nice and relaxed day today, I travelled from Sayaboury to Luang Prabang after spending a couple of hours trying to get to the Elephant Conservation outside Sayaboury. I could not find a track to get there, the only place I could find was a boat to take me across the lake but I was not willing to leave the bike overnight. So off I went to Luang Prabang.

Day 16 Sayaboury to Luang Prabang by Wayne 66, on Flickr

Day 16 Sayaboury to Luang Prabang1 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

I was a good ride and I took a leisurely pace stopping at quite a few villages on the way for a drink and a relax. Of course the breakfast stop was done, had a very good noodle soup with some rice and a plate of salad, tasty indeed.

IMG_1078 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

The route I took was straight up the 4 and I crossed the newish bridge over the Mekong River, then I went back across to try and find the ferry, I went down to the waters edge where you could see vehicles had driven and waited, hoping that one of the boats would come across from the otherside, after waiting for about 20mins I gave up and continued on my journey.
The road got a bit pole holed in places and there was even places where the road was completely gone. but it kept it interesting.

IMG_1061 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_1066 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_1068 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_1071 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_1073 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_1075 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_1076 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_1077 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_1079 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_1081 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

Finally got to Luang Prabang and found the town centre, once there I had a bacon sarnie and a Oreo and banana milkshake whilst trying to get some accommodation. That was to prove a task in its self, i looked the HUBB and RA sites and found some to go see, but everywhere was full, I took me over an hour to find a place, eventually I managed to get myself in to the Seng Phet Guesthouse N 19.53340 E102.07946, a nice clean place with aircon, tv, hot water and a nice outside sitting area so you can watch the world go past. The bike was parked outside on the road till the evening then I was bought in to the sitting area at night and the gates are closed. There is also someone on all night.

IMG_1083 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_1086 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

IMG_1087 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

Staying local till after New Years Eve now

Wayne

Last edited: