Offroad tyres for a 1200GS

Oct 30, 2009
Been on the same pair of road tyres since uk. METZLER tourance incredible tires i have to say. about 70% of my route involved crazy offroading and river crossings.

Done about 8000 miles on them and I think I have a slow puncture on the front tire . The back one still have good amout of thread.

Now is it possible to get a set of new tires in Chiang mai??? preferably Metzler or continental TCK 80 .

Sep 30, 2009
Continetal TKC 80' is the way to go in my opinion, I always had these on my GS Adventure.
Contact Barcelona Auto @ Changmai-Lampang road (BMW OEM replacement tires)

dzefro

Nov 24, 2009
hey guys,

i'm new to this forum. i'm heading to Bangkok this december and i'm thinking of visiting some dirtbike shops to get accessories/gears. i'm hoping Bangkok will have Zeta/asv perc/levers, or maybe a clutch assembly rebuild kit.

i'm riding a yamaha WR200 by the way. stickly for enduros. so i'm hoping to see/meet more offroad guys to show me around. I'll be coming with my wife this december.

Kev_O

Oct 28, 2006
backdoorphil wrote: i'm using contl TKC 80's which are tough to beat. I'm reading great things about the Mefo dual sport super explorers from Germany http://www.mefotyres.com/Mefomenue_uk.htm

im going to try them next
Hi, can you tell me where you got your TKC80's. I was asking around a few places in Bangkok before and was unable to find anyone who could source them from me. I'd like to get a hold of a set and try them out as I have also heard from others that they are great both on and off road. Any information would be great, cheers.

Muzz

Mar 27, 2007
Kev_O wrote: [quote quote=backdoorphil]i'm using contl TKC 80's which are tough to beat. I'm reading great things about the Mefo dual sport super explorers from Germany http://www.mefotyres.com/Mefomenue_uk.htm

Hi, can you tell me where you got your TKC80's. I was asking around a few places in Bangkok before and was unable to find anyone who could source them from me. I'd like to get a hold of a set and try them out as I have also heard from others that they are great both on and off road. Any information would be great, cheers.
Barcelona in Bangkok can get just about anything. Not cheap though

http://www.bmw.co.th/th/en/index_narrow ... rview.html

Good luck!

Kev_O

Oct 28, 2006
Muzz wrote: [quote quote=Kev_O][quote quote=backdoorphil]i'm using contl TKC 80's which are tough to beat. I'm reading great things about the Mefo dual sport super explorers from Germany http://www.mefotyres.com/Mefomenue_uk.htm

Barcelona in Bangkok can get just about anything. Not cheap though

http://www.bmw.co.th/th/en/index_narrow ... rview.html

Good luck!
Thanks, I had already checked with them and yes, they could get but would need to order from Europe they said, I stopped at that because of the price. Was wondering if anyone had managed to get TKC's locally in Thailand.

Rhodie

Mar 5, 2006
To answer your original question Tourances are easily available here in Thailand.
If you are in Chiang Mai speak to Khun Kampon @ VVP Barcelona CM
and he'll have them sent up for you in a day or two.

I have been trying to get TKCs since 06 for my GS.
Barcelona should be a source as the ADV GS originally came with them as OE.
The ADV version was the most popular choice of bike for Thais,
who immediately changed the tyres to Tourances
as they had no intention of taking these bikes off-road.

As a consequence there were a load of sets almost unused at Barcelona,
but try as I might I could not persuade them to sell them to me.
So I had to use Metzeler Karoos which are good, but noisy & don't last as long.
They also extend your braking distance and obviously not so good in the wet.
But I am very happy with them for dirt in Cambo & Laos.

Just another thing, going on a tip from Mr Chan
[see shops in S'pore for testimonials],
I changed Tourances for Pirrelli Scorpions which made turning lighter & quicker.
For road biased riding/part off-road like the Tourance,
I would recommend you try these in the future.

Last year I was fortunate to get a set of Metzler Saharas for my Scrambler.
Which, like the TKCs, are more of an intermediate tyre,
but they are not always available here in LoS.

Good luck & let us know what you choose.

May 25, 2006
HuaHin
Hi Friends,

The BMW 1200 GS Adv i received from the official BKK dealer in June 09 came with off-road Metzeler tyres as I ordered it.

In fact the model delivered in Thailand is the US designed model with all the US equipment and comes from the US plattform.

Easy to check through the serial number you receive.

For me and the few km I drove with it these are wonderfull tyres but no one should feel confident specially during the hot season on oily slipery bithum.

bard

Oct 2, 2008
If you liked the Metzler just buy new ones, they have them in stock at Paddocks tel. 02 692 7000

They have Endourance, and a bit more dirt friendly Enduro 3 in stock, plus they have end of year sale 30% off when you buy pair.

None of the tires mentioned above is offroad tires, they're dual sport. And depending of how much you do off the tarmac you choose.

90 or 80 Tar / 10 - 20 off, Typical Endourance
50/50 tires, Typical Continental TKC80 / Metzler Enduro 3
80-90/20-10 tires, Typical Pirelli MT-21 / Dunlop D606

Difference in them is a 80 - 90 tar is 80 - 90% as good as a full road tire on the road but only 10 - 20% as good as a pure offroad tire when you go offroad.
The rest goes by itself really, so as higher % offroad as crappier they are on tarmac and vice versa.

The better they are offroad as shorter they will survive tarmac, my Pirelli MT-21's do good surviving 3000 km on the road, they are so much cheaper it does not matter really in money. However when you ride fast in sand and crap or thump through mud I am glad I use them.
I do not like them on the road tho, still grip and still fine but I keep below 120 km/h with them, and you can see the wear as you ride. Off the tarmac they rock.

In a perfect world we would have several changes with us, anyway I think from seeing what Frank could do that the one you would enjoy the most would be the Metzler Enduro 3.