Old BMW bike value

Jul 17, 2005
On a recent trip to Esaan,I came across either a R25 orR27 BMW in great original condition and want to make the elderly Thai owner an offer with view to restoration project,would any BMW enthusiast have an idea of a reasonable cash offer to make.Many Thanks

wimpy

Jan 31, 2005
From Link removed

What is my R27 worth?
Without doubt, this is the most common question I receive from R27 owners.

The marketplace for vintage and collectible BMW motorcycles always is influx. Moreover, the value of a particular old BMW cannot possibly be estimated without examining it in person. Even then, there is no certainty as to what it might bring if it was put up for sale.

The Antique, Classic, & Special Interest Motorcycle Price Guide (1997 edition) lists R27s, regardless of year, as being worth from $2,000 to$5,300, depending entirely on condition. That latter is for an excellent R27 “close to a perfect original or a very well restored motorcycle.” The former (lower) value is for an R27 that, “starts, runs, and rides OK but needs some work. ... This is a complete motorcycle with most sheet metal and body parts being correct, [emphasis mine] but only in fair condition.” In my experience, the most valuable vintage BMW motorcycles,including R27s, are those that have all original parts, are in excellent condition, but have not been “restored.” No matter how pretty, a restored R27 is not worth as much as an excellent unrestored R27 — and this is true of any vintage motorcycle, in my opinion.

N.A.D.A. Appraisal Guides now publishes the Antique, Classic, and Special Interest Motorcycle Appraisal Guide. Regardless of year, this guide places the value of an R27 between $2,200 and $6,000 depending, again, on condition.Interestingly, this guide places the value of an R26 higher,even though many more were manufactured, and the value of an R25/3 lower than that of an R27. The N.A.D.A. guide is updated three times a year and may be ordered by calling 1-800-966-6232.You can also reach the publisher through its N.A.D.A. website.

So-called “restorations” vary widely in their quality and accuracy. Although I have seen a few, it is uncommon to see a “restored” BMW motorcycle that cannot readily be identified as not being original. I have also learned from experience that the least expensive way to acquire an excellent R27 or other vintage BMW is to spend enough money to buy the very best specimen you can in the first place. Bringing back a beater or a basket case is the most expensive way to go because of the enormous cost of original parts and labor.

Jul 17, 2005
Thanks for that info Wimpy,maybe the offer of a new honda Wave might be an enticement for him to part with the Beamer[:)]

BobS

Jan 20, 2003
There is a restored BMW thumper in Chiang Mai, at one of the small, nameless Thai motorcycle shops. He has other restored bikes as well.

Maybe he could give you some useful info.

E-mail me for directions.

BobS

"The true secret of giving advice is, after you have honestly given it, to be perfectly indifferent whether it is taken or not and never persist in trying to set people right."

wimpy

Jan 31, 2005
quote:

Originally posted by BobS

There is a restored BMW thumper in Chiang Mai, at one of the small, nameless Thai motorcycle shops. He has other restored bikes as well.

Maybe he could give you some useful info.

E-mail me for directions.

BobS

"The true secret of giving advice is, after you have honestly given it, to be perfectly indifferent whether it is taken or not and never persist in trying to set people right."

Are you talking about the shop near Nong Hoi market?

BobS

Jan 20, 2003
No, this one is on Sripingmuang Rd, Soi 4. Keep going straight south from Chiang Mai Gate, on Suriyawongsee Rd, and continue straight south on the small soi. When you get to a larger road a few hundred meters up, look across and slightly right. He is on a corner opposite a brand new hotel.

BobS

Jul 17, 2005
Thanks BobS,will have a look over the weekend if it stops raining,I also recall a restruant on the river at Lampang has a collection of restored Beamers.