On Phu Chi Fah, Pha Tang Roads, Great Panoramic

helbob

Nov 9, 2007
Phu Chee Fah 2013, Part 1

Hi

This year i had a great weather in december at Phi Chee Fah area. The temperature was not under 12 in the night, but when you drive it feels cold.
In this pictures you see the Pha Tang Mountain, Phu Chi Fah and the secret Phu Pha Sawan where i been alone.
I came there in the happy new year days where all people from bangkok come here. So it was not easy to get a room or there are very expensive (a old ugly bamboo bungalow 800-1200). But i had lucky with the Phu Chee Fah Lodge, 7km from Phu Chi Fah. 3 days including breakfast for 2000 and some add day for 600. Every day i had to change the bungalow, because booking. The lovely receptionist miss may speak a little bite englisch and take care me about food, room a.m.

Everything about 4000km was driven with a new Honda CRF 250, made in thailand. The longest daytrip with more than 400km goes from Mae Hong Son to Pai then via Arunothai to Chiang Rai.
The CRF 250 is a good bike, but same low power as the Kawasaki.

combi-1.jpg

combi-2.jpg

combi-7.jpg

More will follow
helbob

Attached files
286973=14447-combi-1.jpg
286973=14448-combi-2.jpg
286973=14449-combi-7.jpg

Dec 27, 2007
Wow, fantastic pictures and amazing views!! You are brave to have been on the road during the New Year madness! Glad you made it home in one piece! :happy1:

helbob

Nov 9, 2007
Phu Chee Fah 2013, Part 2

Back in germany now, a few more pictures and informations.
All thes pictures are a very big lucky because when i loose my first accomodation, the other resorts near Rom Fah Thai told me very high prices for old and ugly rooms. I thought, when i not found a cheaper one i will go back to Chiang Rai. First i ask the resort where i been 2 years ago, the Phu Sawan Resort, but they told me already on the phone 1000 baht per bungalow. But then i found near Phu sawan the Phu Chee Fah Lodge about 9km from Rom Fah Thai.

Phu Chee Fah Lodge Tel. 053-918322 or 084-9431960
http://www.phucheefalodge.com/index.php?mo=10&art=41932897 (Thai)
[email protected]

The way up to Phu Chee Fah
DSC03666b.jpg

I am on the top of Phu Chee Fah and look left
DSC03677d.jpg

The great panoramic to Laos in the early morning
DSC03911a.jpg

Pha Tang, about 25km from Phu Chee Fah
DSC04027d.jpg

Phu Pha Sawan Viewpoint. The Viewpoint is on the nose near middle of the pic. On this nose is a stone Thailand/Laos. The way up start from Phu Chee Fah Lodge ans is a small path.
DSC04058a.jpg

More will follow
helbob

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
Superb photos (as usual) Hellbob & many thanks for posting them

the Pha Tang ones are quite appropriate after the GTR Mekong boat trip.
Here's a view of Pratu Siam - Pha Tang from the Mekong.

288417=15145-img_0247.jpg

helbob

Nov 9, 2007
Phu Chee Fah 2013, Part 3

The map. For a better detail please klick the image and you will see the map in a high 2000 pixels resolution (different map)
nord-thailand-2013-esri-mini-thumb.jpg

My first accommodation was near Rom Fah Thai. This village is about 1500m sealevel and in the night of december/january sometimes under 10C.
The bungalows on the right side with the white roof.
DSC03455d.jpg

Inside 2 big beds, a place for cooking, tv, bathroom and a small balcony. The man there speak only thai and when i call him with mobilephone it was difficult to speak with him. Then his friend came to the resort and told me i can stay 2 nights for 500 baht each night, but next day he said sorry mistake today full booked :-( an gave me 500 baht back.
DSC03456b.jpg

A really nice place and the bungalows also nice.
DSC03469c.jpg

In the night
DSC03603c.jpg

So i start to look some resorts but all in Room Fah thai very expensive or very ugly AND expensive, most fully booked.
DSC03473c.jpg

A brand new one, maybe in the low season very cheap. Low season = monday to friday and no holidays (happy new year, christmas......)
DSC03513c.jpg

DSC03515c.jpg

So i thought it is the best when i go some kilomters away from this „expensive city“. About 8km in the south i came to the Phu Chee Fah Lodge, not easy to see from the street because on a stepy hill left. But on the right side i saw the restaurant with this sign and ask
DSC03732c.jpg

Here the view from the bungalows to the restaurant on the street
DSC03945c.jpg

For your information: In most resorts no one speaks english or only a little bite. At many resorts are no staff from monday to friday. If you want a room you must call them, but when you want stay only one night then they are lazy to come. Some resorts work like a family style and they are very friendly.

Note: All tours described here are included in the Digital Map Thailand and the tracks from Phu Chee Fah / Pha Tang are just inserted.

More will follow
helbob

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
Thanks for the accommodation run down. The Phu Chi Fah area is always a bit hit & miss. High season - packed & over priced, off season almost no one around to give you a room.

helbob

Nov 9, 2007
Phu Chee Fah 2013, Part 4

Phu Chee Fah Lodge.
I had lucky and Mrs Mai told me „ 3 nights incl. breakfast are 2000 baht“, but i had to change the bungalow after the first night. This was my bungalow for the first night:
DSC03736c.jpg

DSC03941c.jpg

A very big room with 2 double beds, TV, bathroom and balcony, nice but to big for me alone :)
DSC03860c.jpg

DSC03863c.jpg

DSC03861c.jpg

Next morning after a good thaibreakfast with coffee, tea, eggs and many others. It is a buffet and you can eat as much you want, also toast and jam available. But be careful with the small sausage What you see on the top of the pic, no not hot, this sausage is sweet :( . But the rice soup is authentic thai and very good. After the breakfast i had to change my bungalow and mrs Mai help me.
DSC04038c.jpg

Two nights later i want stay loger because it is not to cold and i like this place with the mountains. Mrs Mai check the bookings and said yes, but i must change the bungalow again. O.k. no problem, the next one was a small one, but i like it. Next day i want stay one more day and must change to the Ban Din Bungalow :). Mrs Mai said „we have 5 differt types of bungalow an now you tried 4 of them“, ha ha, yes it was a good experience because all bungalows were good and clean.
Phu Chee Fah Lodge, the Ban Din Bungalow. This bungalow was built of clay. On the day cool, in the night warm and silent, best feeling.
DSC04322c.jpg

DSC04316c.jpg

With TV and bathroom
DSC04318b.jpg

Phu Chee Fah Lodge, at the evening in the restaurant with beautiful sunset. Mrs Mai was very friendly and when i want order something to eat or drink the staff call „Mai Mai Mai“ and Mrs Mai come to receive my order :). I spok thai to the staff because i knowing they not speak english but when they saw i want something they are shy and call Mrs Mai, funny.
DSC04348c.jpg

More will follow
helbob

helbob

Nov 9, 2007
Phu Chee Fah 2013, Part 5

Evening at Phu Chee Fah Lodge:
Everybody got a hot-air-ballon and then we have to start it. My one goes nearly down but then start up as a rocket :)
DSC04357b.jpg

In the night near the resort
DSC03852d.jpg

Phu Chee Fah landscape
DSC04325e.jpg

2. day on the Phu Chee Fah summit, cold and cloudy
DSC03489c.jpg

So i look sunflower :)
DSC03500c.jpg

But later the clouds gone, sun came
DSC03679c.jpg

Phu Chee Fah landscape with the summit
DSC04326e.jpg

Phu Chee Fah summit
DSC04337e.jpg

The feeling in the morning on the summit is indescribable mystical.
DSC03696e.jpg

DSC03709c.jpg

More will follow
helbob

helbob

Nov 9, 2007
Phu Chee Fah 2013, Part 6

Thats a good thing, with the wheel chair to the Phu Chee Fah summit.
DSC03639c.jpg

I am on the summit in the early morning
DSC03650c.jpg

DSC03658d.jpg

DSC03628e.jpg

Rom Fah Thai, the way up to Phu Chee Fah
DSC04343b.jpg

Room Fah Thai in the night
DSC03858c.jpg

Many time on Phu Chee Fah i could see this sign „Sharp Curve“....
DSC04442c.jpg

....and this „Use Low Gear“
DSC04444c.jpg

Many dirt roads in this area, one of them to the Pha Lae Cave Forest Park, no fee. A small cave with buddha inside
DSC03739b.jpg

Nobody was here when i been there.
DSC03749b.jpg

More will follow
helbob

helbob

Nov 9, 2007
Phu Chee Fah 2013, Part 7

Pha Lae Cave Forest Park, no fee
DSC03757c.jpg

This place is north of Pha Tang
DSC03771e.jpg

This dirt road is only for motorcycle, a shortcut between 2 big asphalt roads over a mountain. In the village it was a asphalt road, then a dirt road through a jungle. Over the pass only a path.
DSC03778c.jpg

After the pass a bigger road....
DSC03780e.jpg

...with a big panorama, fantastic, i like this views.
DSC03782c.jpg

Pha Tang, Mekong River in Laos
DSC03822e.jpg

The way back from Phu Chee Fah to Chiang Rai.
DSC04156c.jpg

First to the small Laos Border, then to the border market and then to the Phusang Waterfall.
DSC04249c.jpg

Phusang Waterfall, no Fee and a good quiet place when you are not on saturday or sunday here.
DSC04254c.jpg

Border to Laos
DSC04311c.jpg

A nice resort near Phusang. Some resorts now here.
DSC04304c.jpg

Back in Chiang Rai for Happy New Year. The big road on the clock tower was closed for the happy new year celebration with 3 music stages and many food shops.
DSC04447c.jpg

Conclusion: I think the Phu Chee Fah area (or Doi Chang area) is a recommended destination much more than, say, the Doi Inthanon, which also suggests a high entrance fees and various impact.

END of this year
helbob

Rod Page

Subscribed
Jan 7, 2010
Like you hellbob I'm a big fan of the Phu Chee Fah & Pha Tang area where great rides are to be found by those prepared to adventure a little outside the well-worn routes. The area is also packed with history for those undertaking just a little pre-ride research. Many living in Doi Mae Salong fought the communists there on behalf of Thailand; a very close friend & GH operator in DMS known to many in the GT community saw his father killed there in the fighting whilst he as a boy of only 14 years fighting alongside his father. Such adventures by the way are not too difficult, nor requiring uniquely off-road bikes but are accessible to motards or correctly 'shoed' larger road bikes. That said, there are some equally good rides off the top/out behind Doi Inthanon & around the lesser used routes surrounding Mae Charm.

It just makes one realise how lucky are those able to be riding in the area, how much there is to see for those with an adventurous spirit.