paper work at customs Thai/Lao border

Discussion in 'Laos - General Discussion Forum' started by wunkel, Sep 3, 2007.

  1. Hi everybody with knowledge on that matter!

    In November, I will start working in a development project in Oudomxay. For this reason I have to move from Thailand to Laos.

    I would like to take my motorbike with me to Laos. Does anybody know how the procedure of paperworks is going?

    If you don't know about it in case of moving there then it would be anyway useful to learn what papers are needed to take the bike for a couple of weeks to make some nice tours.

    By the way, the bike is a small Honda Sonic 125 cc (custom-made for off road purposes), 2 years old and registered in my name in Bangkok.

    It would be nice if anybody could give me some input concerning this issue.


  2. Start with having a look at where you will find quite a bit of info bringing your bike into Laos for a short period. Not sure if you can bring it in for a longer period - probably difficult if not impossible unless you import it and even then it may be very difficult.
  3. Hi Wunkel,

    You need your greenbook and the international travel permit for the bike... This is basically the passport for the bike: purple in colour, same size as your personnal passport. You get it at the Land and Transport office near you(the office where you go pay your annual tax for the bike). Cost: 55 to 60 Bahts... However you can wait for a few hours, time they process it.
    In Chiang Khong Thai authorities allowed me to take the bike 1 months out of Thailand...
    Let us know if you can get more...
  4. Never had to use, and I do not have, an International Transit Permit for any of my bikes. It IS necessary for a car or truck.
  5. Yes, the International Transport Permit or "Passport Rot" is helpful and in most places obligatory when you are in a car. However, some time back when I traveled by car to Pakxe through Chong Mek, the Thai Customs did not accept the International Transport Permit but wanted to see the original Registration Document (the blue book).

    Having it definitely helps on the Lao side as otherwise a lot of time is spent on checking engine- and chassis numbers of the vehicle.
  6. On the times that I crossed with my truck they wanted to see both books. I have only done this twice with the truck and Auke has crossed many more times than I on 4 wheels.

    However I can only state my own experience, with many crossings on a m/c, and they have never asked for an ITP. There has been discussion before as to whether it is helpful or not and I believe most said it was not. I also have only had Laos Customs physically check my chassis numbers on one occasion and that was at Huay Xai.

    I would suggest if you can get the ITP for the motorcycle easily you have nothing to lose. However we have found in Chiang Mai that it is not easily obtained here for bikes (in fact they told me they could not do it for cars either but it was because the clerk didn't know how. 2 days later I got one). BKK may be different.
  7. Hi! Thanks a lot for the input.
    Will probably try to get this ITP, nothing to lose. Does anybody know whether it is needed to bring the bike to Land and Transportation office? Do they need to check it?
  8. Even though I have posted that I never needed one, I agree you have nothing to lose. Let us know how you make as it has not been easy in the north.

    They did not need to see my truck when I got one, but every office may be different and as I said I never got one for a bike. Interested in your experience.
  9. Nothing to loose getting the ITP, except a bit of time...
    I have got 2 different ones at the Chatuchak(Bkk) Land and transport office. However the staff was polite and displayed good will.
    First one it took almost the all day.
    The second time they politely told me To go have lunch... Coming back 3 hours later the book was ready with smiles.
    Better to take your passport with you. They wanted a photocopy of my current visa. They didn't checked the bike. Green book was enough.
    I feel the ITP smoothes the process at the border... It's my impression.
    Only once, the Lao customs checked the frame number on the bike... It was in Houay Xay, like SilverHawk.
    Sorry if I have mis leaded you; mentioning the ITP as compulsory...
    I feel some growing rigidity within the Thai environment and administration these days -beyond positive individual experiences.It's a time where it may be better to give ourselves the best possible circumstances.
    All the best,
  10. Thanks again, pee.
    Going to give it a try. The problem is that I have to be at work the whole day. Is there anything to sign personally? Or can I send my wife to do it?
  11. Hi folks!
    I just received a phone call from the Lao embassy and they told me that it will be no problem for me to get the bike permanently into Laos. BUT this works only because I will work in an offical project of bilateral development cooperation (Lao-German). Therefore, it fits only my case.
    thanks a lot!!
  12. That sure makes it easier! Can you get me a job??[8D]
  13. Indeed, it makes the thing easier. I hope, finally, everything will work out. However, I actually have no idea what kind of papers I need from the Thai side. Do I need kind of export papaers?
  14. Watch out!. As an expat working for an organization who has a tax-exampt status in Laos its expat staff are allowed to import a car/bike taxfree.

    However, when you leave Laos at the end of your contract you may have problems importing your bike back into Thailand so better check out what the implications are at that point in time (import tax to be paid in Thailand?, etc.). Maybe you can keep your bike registered in Thailand but not sure if this is legally possible.
  15. Auke/Wunkel,

    do you know if this lovely little loophole for employed ex-rats also covers motorcycles greater than 250cc?
  16. Not 100% sure but I have seen expats riding on an Africa Twin with special number plates indicating that it is a tax free bike. So probably possible but in Laos much seems to be possible if you know the right people who know all the inns and outs. Maybe your employer (Phu Bia?) can check this out.
  17. Good inputs. Thanks.
    1. I have no knowledge on over 250cc is ok but I will ask if I have contact with the guys from Laos again.
    2. Is it possible to send wife to get the ITP?
    3. Taking for granted that the Lao side is doing cool: Does anybody know what kind of papers I need to get the bike out of Thailand (export?)into Laos. I try to get the ITP. What else is needed?
  18. Auke,

    have seen those same big bikes around and have been enviously wondering how they managed to get them registered. My Boss has just told me that he thinks that if you can convince the authorities that you need a bigger bike for ahem..... work related purposes.... then it should be possible to import it tax free. Only problem I can see if this is true is whether the bike has to be registered in the company name and whether this will cause dramas trying to cross borders.

    I shall pursue this line of enquiry further!
  19. As far as I know you will have to sign the form yourself. According to my wife who takes care of these things (the car is in her name), she needed to sign the application doc, bring the original registration book, her ID card and her house registration doc. Not sure what you would need to bring.

    However, as far as I know, travel agents in Nongkhai with the right connections can arrange the ITP locally even though the vehicle may be registered elsewhere so there should be some flexibility.
  20. Auke,

    two more.
    -Do you know whether the Land Transport Dep is open on Saturdays?
    -Do you have an idea where these potential travel agencies with right connections are located?
  21. Wunkel-

    Just dug through my old name cards. For my truck's ITP I used Tongwiset Tour in Nongkhai. They are located just before the friendship bridge on the left side as you approach the bridge. 188 Friendship Bridge Rd. 042-467578. I don't recall the cost but it wasn't bad.

    Be advised that this was about 4 years ago however. The government officers were closed on the weekend.
  22. BobS indicated that the topic of ITP's had been discussed before. Have a look at ... ort,permit for some more info on what is needed and what is possible.
  23. SilverhawkUSA,
    thanks a lot contact info. I will check it out if I don't have the time to do it in Bangkok.

    Thanks to Auke for the reference to BobS.
  24. I was yesterday at the Transport Department at Chatuchak in Bangkok in order to find out what paper work is needed to get the bike out of Thailand. I can't tell you what it meant translated into English because I spoke Thai with these guys.
    At first, it is obviously not possible (?) to keep Thai registration when using the bike mid- or long term in Laos. So, it is needed to delete the registration in Thailand. For this you need the license plate, passport, visa, green book and residence document. Further you have to fill 2 forms in Thai und pay some tax (nobody could tell exactly how much). Finally, I did not follow this procedure because it automatically means that the bike has no more registration in Thailand. So, how could I get the bike into Laos if not driving. So decided I will drive the bike to Vientiane (on the basis of 2-4 weeks) when I start working there in November and try to clear all the paperwork in Laos. If this will be ok, I will take the license plate and necessary documents to Bangkok to de-register. Maybe it is also possible in Nong Khai.
  25. Good info. Keep us posted.

Share This Page