Possible to buy motorcycle on tourist visa?

Discussion in 'General Discussion / News / Information' started by NepalIndiaTraveller, Jul 19, 2011.

  1. NepalIndiaTraveller

    NepalIndiaTraveller New Member

    I want to buy a Thai motorcycle and tour Thailand, Laos, Vietnam, Cambodia, Malaysia ans Singapore (and maybe Indonesia if possible).
    I am a tourist, so I have a tourist visa. Here comes the big question: is it possible for me to buy a Thai motorcycle and register it in my name. I have read that it is for foreigners who are living in Thailand difficult to register a motorcycle in their name. So what about a tourist who doesn't even has a local adress proof?

    If the bike is in my name I will have less trouble crossing the borders, so I have heard.
  2. Loading...

  3. bartomeer

    bartomeer Ol'Timer

    You need at least a 3 month visa when you're buy a new bike. This is what Kawasaki in Pattaya tells me. I suspect that a second hand bike is impossible to register in your name
  4. Tubber

    Tubber Ol'Timer

    Depends on the local office. Mine will only do it with a 1 year non imm and it must still be valid for a certain length of time. I was refused once as I only had a few weeks left on the visa. Best ask your local office or if anybody knows where you can get it done with a tourist visa.
  5. HIKO

    HIKO Ol'Timer

    Yes You can.

    You can buy a new bike or an used bike and have it registered in Your name even on a tourist visa. If You want up to a 15 month Non-immigrant visa, it can also be arranged here in Pattaya. To register a new bike you will need about one month from Mityon.
    A used bike can be registered in one day. If you need help you can contact me on e-mail [email protected].

    If You need a used bike I have a few (approx 35) which I probably must start to sell off due to health reasons. I have everything from Harley Night Train 2009 to several Africa Twins, Yamaha TDM:s, Thailands only 650 Transalp (Italian made), BMW 650:s, Honda XR400, Suzuki DR650:s, DR400:s to 13 ER6 Kawasakis.

    I don't want to sell them but I assume that You have to be realistic. I still try to make a trip with the Harley in November when I turns into 60, after that I assume it is Yamah Nuovo that rules.

  6. TonyBKK

    TonyBKK Ol'Timer

    ^ +1

    It all depends on the DLT Office where you register the bike. The law says you need a visa that is valid for more than 3 months, but TiT, in practice there are some DLT offices that do not enforce this rule. Pattaya seems to be one of them.
  7. Pgt066

    Pgt066 Ol'Timer

    If you are buying a bike new, you should not have a problem.

    Last year I bought a new Ducati, and a new Kawasaki on 30 Day tourist visa in BKK. All documentation is in my name (Green Book, Insurance, License Plate).

    You just need a form letter from your embassy saying you are who you are, and you live at such address. If you are a US Citizen they don't even check any housing documents. You could just put whatever address you wanted on there.

    You also want to make sure that your 30 Day stamp is one you just got a few days prior. That way by the time it gets presented by the dealer to the GOV, your 30 Day stamp is still valid. If it runs out during that process, you will have to get another one.
  8. Bert on the bike

    Bert on the bike Ol'Timer

    Hi Hiko

    I know it has nothing to do with the subject but I might be interested in the XR400, assuming that it is registered. Please give me some more details.
  9. NepalIndiaTraveller

    NepalIndiaTraveller New Member


    Thank you for the information!

    I did tour India and Nepal, and it is very convenient if you can get parts of the bike everywhere easily. Big bikes would be a problem, seems to me. Imagine slipping in Laos. Bending your front fork. Or even as simple as breaking a the glass of front or back lights. Yeah, I hear you: do not slip! But in 100000 km (!) I did, one time (without sleep for 48 hours) it happened. Difficult to find a decent bike. Parts of which available in all the countries in this area. A scooter? Really?
  10. TonyBKK

    TonyBKK Ol'Timer

    Perhaps you need to buy something that's nearly impossible to break, like a KLX250? :happy2:
  11. Azoulay

    Azoulay Ol'Timer

    Hi Friends,

    In fact, the availability to buy a bike is diverse;

    -If you don't need to have plate and Green Book, you can buy qany kind of bikes where ever you like in East Asia, you can say it' s to decorate the garden even...
    -if you need a plate and a Green Book under your name, in Thailand, you will need to have your name registered onto a Tabien Ban (House Book); now to have registered on such Tabien Ban, that's depend of the easy acceptance of the City Hall...Generally a 3 month visa could fit, but most preferably a one year visa is better.
    -Please don't fail into some tricky way by registering under an other name or the Pattaya system, which could end up by a scam...

    Hope it helps

Share This Page