proposed trip to siem reap

Mar 30, 2008
my apologies if this is covered but i couldnt find a search box!
I have just got a new yamaha fz6 and have always wanted to go to siem reap. I live in chiang mai.

my questions:
is 3 weeks enough time to go have a good look round and come back?
what is the best route with no offroad bits?
having read about the flat tyre saga, what tools/spares should i take with me? i am especially concerned about getting a flat as the tyre is tubeless - how easy is it to do?

thanks a lot

HIKO

Nov 7, 2005
HI SIMON

Yes 3 weeks is enough. The only border for you is Had Lek in the south. Very good paved road either to Sihanoukville or Phnom Penh. Paved roads all the way. I recommend Sihanouke, Phnom Penh, Siem Reap and back to Phnom Penh either on the west side of Tonle Sap over Sisophon and Battambang or the same way back as you came. If You decide to use the west version you will have some 80 km partly bad road but drivable with your bike.

Punctures is always a problem but not so big in Cambodia. If it is in the rear you can probably drive to the closest repair shop and they will fix it for you. If it is tubeless and the tire is loose from the rim you must get a shop with a good compressor, normally a shop for trucks. Normally they fix tubeless from the outside with a plug, supposed to be a temporary fix but they work for long.

If it is in the front try to drive, if you find any shop that just have air put more air and stop at a place with good compressor. If not possible you have to work yourself and take off the wheel and pay somebody to bring you to a shop. If you are lazy you just pay somebody to bring you to a workshop and take the work shop with you to the bike. Nothing is expensive.

If you want to be on the safe bring two inner tube with you one for the front and one for the rear, and use them if they cannot fix an tubeless. No other spare parts is needed.

There is only one person in the world who is so close to the sun (about two meters from the ground) and has so much money but is still too "kinioy" (cheap charlie) that he exercise how to repair KTM tires in Cambodia with out any beers in the neighborhood and always make a new hole to repair. A few exercises more and he will succeed at the first time....

Guess who... Rhiekel

HIKO

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
simoncm wrote: my apologies if this is covered but i couldnt find a search box!
I have just got a new yamaha fz6 and have always wanted to go to siem reap. I live in chiang mai.

my questions:
is 3 weeks enough time to go have a good look round and come back?
what is the best route with no offroad bits?
having read about the flat tyre saga, what tools/spares should i take with me? i am especially concerned about getting a flat as the tyre is tubeless - how easy is it to do?

thanks a lot
Simon
How's your bike?
Did you get to go to Cambo or not?
Any news?

Mar 30, 2008
The bike is great i've got used to the weight now.
I was advised by the guys at Yamaha not to go because of all the thai cambodia tension so maybe next year

shadow

Jun 27, 2007
simoncm wrote: The bike is great i've got used to the weight now.
I was advised by the guys at Yamaha not to go because of all the thai cambodia tension so maybe next year
What a load of shit now is the best time to ride weather wise. You will have no problems at the borders unless you want to got Preah Vihir or the Emerald trianlge, or at any time within the country. Grow some balls and just do it.

Aug 3, 2004
While I might use less colourful language, I agree with Shadow that the likelihood of a problem at the border is remote.
We regularly cross at Chong Sa Ngam, about 60 KM to the West of Khao Phra Wiharn for Visa purposes and there is never a problem. It is by the way the closest crossing in Thailand to Siem Reap.
A riding buddy would be a good idea though for other than security reasons.
Cheers,
Peter

shadow

Jun 27, 2007
The day after the skirmishes broke out at Preah Vihir. The guys couldnt have been nicer and more helpfull with the paper work. On the Cambodian side they just dont give a shit what you bring in. This border is as close to the dispute as your going to get for an international border crossing.

There is a new road made across the border but you cant use it yet as they cant agreee on where the line should be.

At the old crossing the Thai side is nice and clean as you can see on the Cambodian side you might as well be in a rubbish dump. Either way on both sides of the border there is nothing worth fighting over other than empty land full of rubbish.

IMG_1610R.jpg