PTT to stop national sales and distribution of 95 March 27th

Oct 17, 2006
PTT the biggest petrol retailer today announced they will stop all sales of regular 95 gasoline nationwide following the lead of Chevron and JET .

Announcement made in national press and on Thai TV .

Anylysts also say that sales of 95 will be affected at other outlets as PTT is the biggest local refiner and distributer.

Nov 11, 2006
Only in f...n Thailand where vested interests overule sanity.
BTW the word sanity has no Thai equivalent.
Not related - looking at a US website showing the 10 best countries to retire for Americans - only one in Asia was Malaysia whre they do have 98 and 95 Octane ( and much cheaper than LOS) and where they are not homophobic.
I hope the country grinds to a halt so that the other half of their brain ( assuming there is one) is jolted into life.

Marco

Oct 15, 2006
Khuang Nai
JohhnyE wrote: Only in f...n Thailand where vested interests overule sanity.
BTW the word sanity has no Thai equivalent.
Absolutely correct.
Here PTT stop selling 95 more than year ago, now one can only get it from ESSO,, after that will be stoped,, one must pack away bike and car.

Maybe this is Gov's try to force every one use bussess and trains :wink:

Feb 5, 2007
Quote of the year from Chakrit Charuchinda, VP for Retail Marketing, PTT

"For owners of cars older than 12 years that need premium petrol. we are sorry about that"

By the governments own calculations there are 500,000 Thais, including owners of brand new cars like Ferraris for example, that are a tad sorrier

Nov 11, 2006
And I just saw yesterday that a new Ferrari importer is about to be appointed for Thailand.
If they don't know something wouldn't that be a most stupid and futile investment at this time? Unless they can run on 91 or Gasohol!
If anyone's going to the motor show this "new" distributor is going to be exhibiting there and a few questions about real 95 might be worthwhile.

Feb 5, 2007
Note that the government has made it very clear that 91 will be replaced by gasohol.

Also note that the 500,000 non-compatible vehicles are older cars, and does not include bikes, 2 stroke outboards, weedwackers etc, and new non-compatible vehicles.

Marco

Oct 15, 2006
Khuang Nai
Captain_Slash wrote: Wow you have got good eyesight Ally, I noticed my reflection on the tank but had to look again for the tape on the finger, dont worry its nothing serious and I will be back on the road again tomorrow
Matey,, you did not answer the lady's question...... :p

May 25, 2006
HuaHin
Hi Friends and Jerry,

Since a while you are pointing this out but practically what to do when you own a Ducati Monster 1000 S2R ?

I would say that on a Suzuki DRZ-400, no problem, I can use what ever (of course except diesel) it runs more or less the same.

What does it dammage ? Is it only a performance loss or more than that ? Does someone could explain it clearly ?

Thanks Mates !

Nov 11, 2006
They make very good stickers in Thailand and you can make any sticker you want.
If I was a grey market dealer and wanted to sell my old stock of non gasohol compatible bikes I know what I'd do!
The world is full of the gullible and TIT!

E3L0

Sep 17, 2006
JohhnyE wrote: ...only one in Asia was Malaysia whre they do have 98 and 95 Octane ( and much cheaper than LOS) and where they are not homophobic.
Muslim Malaysia less homophobic than LOS where blokes wear dresses in the street?

Nov 14, 2006
CBR 1000 -04.
Can i use 91 then?? Or do i need to add something like those small bottles of "boosters"?

Jun 21, 2006
should be fine tom, ive put 91 in the suzuki numerous times with no ill-effects.
coming up to chiang mai for that ride anytime soon?

Nov 14, 2006
Ok thanks. Umm, not sure about when i'm coming, just got my legal reg, so i can go anywhere now. But today my bike didnt start, a warning light is on, so i gotta have it checked up tomorrow.
U never come down here then? :)

Oct 17, 2006
Azoulay the Ducati will run on Gasohol but not as powerful and You have to cchange fuel filters more often.

May 25, 2006
HuaHin
Hi Friends and thanks Jerry,

In fact I have no way out than to try this famous "Gasohol" with the S2R Monster DUCATI, let's see what'll happen...

Being in Europe at present I will however query the Maker, to check if they have any advise or opinion on the issue. Anyway I'll let you know.

If the engine is a bit less powerfull, that's not a drama, specially with the tuning I did.

Issue is I would like to avoid to brake something (valves, seals ?), anyway, I have to try...

Jerry, if you cruise around Paris before mid-June give me a call at my French mobile number I have already PM, we could have a lunch or a diner together in Paris.

Pikey

www.tbbtours.com
AZOULAY wrote: Hi Friends and thanks Jerry,

Issue is I would like to avoid to brake something (valves, seals ?), anyway, I have to try...

Jerry, if you cruise around Paris before mid-June give me a call at my French mobile number I have already PM, we could have a lunch or a diner together in Paris.
There seems to be a lot of confusion here regarding the different types of petrol and suitability and the effects on motorcycle engines. The very knowledgeable HIKO made an excellent post in another thread but as I am at home on my crappy GSM dialup connection I can't try to find it.

Basically, petrol has an OCTANE rating and the higher the compression engine you have in your bike, the higher octane fuel you need to get the best out of it. LOS has 91 & 95 Octane fuel and either should be fine for most bikes unless you have a high comp race engine where you might need a booster or even a more combustable fuel.

Now, gasohol ALSO comes in 91 and 95 Octane ratings BUT has a percentage of alcohol (ethanol) in the mix to satisfy the Tree-Huggers, reduce global warming and make farmers rich by growing ethanol producing crops. So far as I can tell, most bikes will run happily on gasolhol, albeit with a slight power loss and increased consumption - and to answer Azoulay, there is absolutely no risk of damage to metallic engine parts such as valves! IMHO, what has NOT been proved is the long term effect on the fuel system, particularly the rubber elements. We have heard and speculated that it will do damage to carb diaphragms e.t.c but I've not seen proof. If this does happen, it will be an insiduous process and topping up your bike with a few litres of gasohol is not going to kill the beast!

I stand to be corrected, but that is my semi-educated view at this point in time. (and no, I am not an engineer or a petrol company rep, just an avid biker of many years with a half-sensible head on my shoulders ;))

Cheers,

Pikey.

May 25, 2006
HuaHin
Hi Friend Pikey,

Thanks for this very clear explanation, anyway I'll try when in Thailand again around mid June, and happy that it won't dammage anything. Even if by education I am an engineer, the emotional has taken the lead for me in this issue and I was afraid of braking my favorite toys.

As said previously I triel Gasohol with my SUZUKI DRZ 400 and no problem (yet) but I was fearing with the DUCATI S2R 1000 Monster as it's a more sophisticated bike.

On an other hand, I won't imagine that this combustible could be sold only compatible with part of the car and bike park.

Thanks again for your detailed answer.

Pleasure to meet you once in the Land of Smile.

Sep 19, 2006
www.chiangmai-xcentre.com
My Neighbour here was just up from Bangkok and called in this Morning to Show me His New "Mitsubishi Evolution Lancer" He Brought 2 one for Him another for His Son. Standard 300 HP, He is on His way back to Bangkok and is putting it in the Shop to Get worked on so it will increase Output to 420HP!!! He has a Fleet of Cars so this is a Toy. Anyway he was showing me around it and Lifted the Boot and Here was a 5 Gallon Container so He can carry extra Fuel. Seems this 4 Million Baht Car is recommended to Run on 95 to 97 Octane only and NO Gasahol so everytime he sees Real 95 for sale He has to Top up including the Container in the Boot. Most of the High Performance Cars are the same so they will be Pretty Unhappy if this Post happens end of this month as Reported!!! Lots of Expensive Cars no one can Use??? Pretty Stupid Eh???

Marco

Oct 15, 2006
Khuang Nai
Ian Bungy wrote: My Neighbour here was just up from Bangkok and called in this Morning to Show me His New "Mitsubishi Evolution Lancer" He Brought 2 one for Him another for His Son. Standard 300 HP, He is on His way back to Bangkok and is putting it in the Shop to Get worked on so it will increase Output to 420HP!!! He has a Fleet of Cars so this is a Toy. Anyway he was showing me around it and Lifted the Boot and Here was a 5 Gallon Container so He can carry extra Fuel. Seems this 4 Million Baht Car is recommended to Run on 95 to 97 Octane only and NO Gasahol so everytime he sees Real 95 for sale He has to Top up including the Container in the Boot. Most of the High Performance Cars are the same so they will be Pretty Unhappy if this Post happens end of this month as Reported!!! Lots of Expensive Cars no one can Use??? Pretty Stupid Eh???
Ian

Good again good point,, who about all those rich guys drifing toys,, 95 only on most of them,, + all sport cars,, i dont see thai gov really going to stop 95 totally,,,

On the other note,, as we droven now from ubon to trat and today we are in pattaya, noticed along the road that 99% statios having 95 in they selection but in Ubon we have it only in few stations, so i think Thai Gov's plan is to get rural area ppl to use any other alternatives and leave 95 for major cities as the consumption and profit there is much higher.

Feb 5, 2007
Wake up guys, the government has made it very clear that they intend to promote gasohol at any cost. The refiners are stopping/stopped production, and the stations are at an economic disadvantage in selling petrol vs gasohol. There is a surplus of ethanol and more plants due to come on line.

91 petrol will be next

Pikey

www.tbbtours.com
I've been advising customers to put 91 in our rent bikes if they can't find 95 and telling them that the pump colour is red. Today I was at PTT just past Wualai Rd on the moat (CNX) and they were serving Gasohol 91 out of the regular (red) 91 pump. No non-gasohol fuel to be had at all at that station. :evil:

Cheers,

Pikey.

May 25, 2006
HuaHin
Hi Friends,

At this stage of the discussion I 'ld like to know if someone knows about a simple quick test we could carry on the oil to check if it's really a 95 or not. I fear the cheat threat in few stands....