Ride To Angkor Wat And Battambang

Chantony

Subscribed
Oct 21, 2016
Chanthaburi
Part 1

Sa Kaeo Province
1.jpg

We made two short trips recently into Cambodia and can report the following including border experiences.
August we exited at Chong Chom / Osmach, very straightforward, usual tm2 and tm3 which they entered into the system then printed their copies for me to sign, as well as passport photo and green book copies. On the Cambodian side got visa on arrival, presented thai vehichle export docs and were issued with the temporary customs permit and no fees to pay, no mention of being restricted to any province, off we went happy days.

Nice new coffee shop betwwen Osmach and Siem Reap
2.jpg

roadside refreshments
3.jpg

4.jpg

near to Tonle Sap
5.jpg

Tan Kang Angkor Hotel, 1 minute to river, 2 minutes to Walking Street, 20 usd walk in rate, double room with balcony and pool view no breakfast (average buffet plenty better choices nearby)
6.jpg

Photos speak for themselves
7.jpg

8.jpg

We exited at Phsar Prum/Baan Pak Kad, simply returned paperwork and were on our way no fees again at either side.

9.jpg

footnote- None of the banks in Surin town held any usd dollars on the day we went to exchange, not a major issue but worth bearing in mind.

Part 2
In November having previously exited at Baan Pak Kad/Phsar Prum we decided to try things the other way round, this is a very modern building here, more so than the more well known Ban Laem, also the last 30 odd km's are brand new 6 lane highway to the border.
The staff on the Thai side were very helpful though things took a bit longer than I'd expected, I imagine not a lot of big bikes enter there, however presented same paperwork as before and were soon heading to Cambodian Customs, again it appeared he'd not seen many (if any) big bikes enter here but with calm patience and respect shown on my side the gent worked his way through my documents and asked for how many days I wished to visit then issued my temporary import papers, no cash was asked on either side of the border, no restrictions were mentioned about where i could go, and no documents of mine were retained by anyone, happy days again.

Baan Pak Kad
1.jpg

Sovannphum Hotel, walk in rate for deluxe room with balcony and river view was 700 baht without breakfast, very acceptable indeed.
2.jpg

3.jpg

Bagels
4.jpg

Phnom Sampov Mountain and temple, a sad history, stunning views, and can ride own bike to the top or pay a dollar or two for a truck ride up, worth the visit, plenty info/photos online.
5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

Again, very straightforward to exit at Phsar Prum / Baan Pak Kad, no fees at either side and took around 30 minutes to be sitting in 7/11 on the Thai side.
Ride safe folks.

8.jpg

Reactions: ZCM and DavidFL

ZCM

Subscribed
Jun 23, 2011
cm
This report will help me a lot, as I am planning to cross over into Siam Reap for a few days when burning season starts in the North.
Brilliant find on the hotel and will most likely be the one I will choose to stay at, as I prefer off-street parking. Your report makes it look to be nice an easy. Thanks!

As an aside, does anyone have recommendations for temp insurance options to cover third party (or more) motorbike travel I could take out via online.? I usually take out additional personal accident insurance when on longer trips, but with no insurance options available to purchase at the border, wondering if there is an alternative option to cover me for just for a few days whilst in Cambodia.