Riders wanted 22-11-05

jonny

Oct 31, 2005
I'm looking for people to ride with from Chiang Mai. i arrive on 22 of Nov for about one week. I will rent a motorbike and tour northern Thailand. Anyone interested?

BobS

Jan 20, 2003
Jonny - I would suggest that you post some info about yourself, your riding experience, bike rental plans, and what loops you want to ride. That will make it easier to hook up with riding partners.

There are lots of bikers that come to the area during that time. But they range from round-the-world travelers to beginners on rented scooters. All of them have their own idea of what motorcycling is. You should try to find a riding partner whose plans match your own.

BobS

"The true secret of giving advice is, after you have honestly given it, to be perfectly indifferent whether it is taken or not and never persist in trying to set people right."

jonny

Oct 31, 2005
Thanks for the advise, Bob. I have about 40 yrs experience riding motorbikes. This last winter I drove my F650GS Dakar from Minneapolis, MN USA to Ushuaia, Argentina. It was a six month 20,000 mile trip. This trip is for two weeks so I will be renting a motorbike in Chiang Mai. I would like to do some offroad and get to places most aren't able to. I'm guessing the best routes require staying in more rural areas. I am game for whatever as long as the chances are pretty good that I will live to tell the tale.

Jade

Feb 25, 2003
Hi Jonny,

It doesn't really matter what kind of "riding" you're anticipating in Thailand. I'm sure you would'nt be making a post if you didn't know how to ride. What is utmost important is to have your feet touch the ground when you come to a stop...tip toeing won't do...well maybe for some....

I will be passing through Chiang Mai during the time you said and will be doing the Mae Hong Son loop from there. You are more than welcome to join up with me if your dates match.

~Jade [;)]

BobS

Jan 20, 2003
"I'm sure you would'nt be making a post if you didn't know how to ride."

Yeah, right. There are quite a few people posting on this board that don't know what they are talking about. It takes a while to learn to separate the facts from the bar talk and the bullshit.

BobS

"The true secret of giving advice is, after you have honestly given it, to be perfectly indifferent whether it is taken or not and never persist in trying to set people right."

Jan 22, 2005
Hi Jonny,

If you find your way over towards Chiang Khong - top right corner of Thailand on the Mekong and a major cross over point into Loas, give us a call 01 9902096. This is our home base and we ride as much as possible; good roads, off road, and what what ever we find in between.

Cheers,
David and Mai
1150RT & 650GS

helenk

Mar 26, 2005
Hello Jonny and Jade,

Helen and I are currently TDMing in the North; Mae Sei at the moment. We'd be happy to say hi and ride along for a day or two, TDMs don't go off-road, though. We are doing DavidFL's book in reverse (Golden Triangle) and will then probably pick up the Mae Hong Son loop as well as going to Laos at some point. And Cambodia and we have to meet our parents in Ko Samui mid Jan.

Erm... about ourselves... we ride two-up and smoothly; brakes are only for stopping with. We're 37 and 41. We drank far too much in Chiang Khong and... erm... BobS's comments are making me nervous, I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be saying about us.

There's a gallery of our trip here:
http://daveandhelen.freewebspace.com/
last two pages are Thailand with TDM.

Be cool all,
Dave Kelly

Mar 15, 2003
www.daveearly.com
quote:

Helen and I are currently TDMing in the North; Mae Sei at the moment. We'd be happy to say hi and ride along for a day or two, TDMs don't go off-road, though.

TDM's don't go where?

TDM%20Water.jpg

Bent%20Pipes.jpg

As for BobS comments; Don't worry. I had lunch with Davidfl today and he definately confirmed EVERYTHING about Chiang Khong as fact
[;)]

Hope to meet you guys when you reach Chiang Mai. Leaving for Laos with DavidCK on the 29th, this time taking a 250 (not the TDM).

Dave Early

Ever notice that "What the Heck!" is usually the right answer?

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
quote:

Originally posted by helenk

BobS's comments are making me nervous, I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be saying about us.

Dave Kelly

Spill the beans just like you did at the Lomtawan Bar the 1st night in Chiang Khong. I had a great night there in animated non-backpacker conversation with you guys. Helen you sure know how to pound 'em down.
Dont worry about BobS we know how to handle him in Cnx.

Davidfl
Keep The Power On

jonny

Oct 31, 2005
Dave Early- where is a good place to find you? I arrive 11-22. Should I lug a helmet to and through Thailand? Is it easy to rent a helmet? Thanks to all for the info and invitations.

Mar 15, 2003
www.daveearly.com
Jonny-

Re: Helmet, YES!. Re: Finding me, NOT POSSIBLE.

Just kidding. Yes you should bring your own helmet. You can "search" RIDING GEAR on the message board and find a number of posts (4 pages) related to this. The rental bike shops will give you a cheap plastic helmet with and unknown number of "things" possibly growing inside. You can buy a "fair" helmet available in limited sizes in the neighborhood of 1000bt. I use one sometimes around town but they are not of the quality you are used too.

It is possible to buy good helmets in Bangkok. Try this post Link removed. If possible I would bring my own. When I go south and plan on renting a bike, I take mine with me.

As for finding me, just drop me an email when you arrive Chiang Mai, I am usually at The Kafe at sometime or another (many times with David U). I am leaving for Laos around the 27th or 28th Nov.

(P.S. I just noticed you posted this same question before and Davidfl gave you an answer.)

Dave Early

Ever notice that "What the Heck!" is usually the right answer?