Riding a Maxi Scooter to MHS

Dec 20, 2007
Hi,

I'm planning to ride (2 up) on my Silverwing 600 from Singapore to MHS... maybe into Laos... and even to touch the boder of china.

Do you think my scooter can take this challenge?

2005Silverwing600.jpg

HIKO

Nov 7, 2005
HI

Easily done except maybe some part of the road from Luang Prabang to the Chinese border.

JUST DO IT!!!!

HIKO

Dec 20, 2007
Thank you for your confirmation.

Which border should I be using..... Chiang Khong to Huay Sai or the friendship bridge?

Leaving Singapore on 4th Jan 2008 and back on 19 Jan 2008.

Mar 15, 2003
www.daveearly.com
2_wheeler wrote: Thank you for your confirmation.

Which border should I be using..... Chiang Khong to Huay Sai or the friendship bridge?

Leaving Singapore on 4th Jan 2008 and back on 19 Jan 2008.

I guess it all depends on where you are going and how much time you will actually spend in Laos. It looks like you may be a little short on time.

Dec 20, 2007
Ya, I know that 15 days is abit short. So I may consider taking a train back to Hatyai and rider back to Singapore in a day.

I may consider one night in Laos or in China.

what is the distant from Thailand to China border; which China border?

Which Laos border is better for my scooter?

Need some info on train as well :D

mikerust

Subscribed
Nov 5, 2003
I'm planning to ride (2 up) on my Silverwing 600 from Singapore quote]
Pico has a 600SW he is in Phuket.

Trains north from BKK leave in the late evening and arrive the next morning. 750-ish Baht one way. Trains going south to BKK leave early evening and arrive early morning.
Trains going south from BKK, I think leave mid afternoon and arrive Georgetown at lunchtime the next day.
http://www.railway.co.th/english/index.asp

Mar 20, 2007
2_wheeler wrote: Ya, I know that 15 days is abit short. So I may consider taking a train back to Hatyai and rider back to Singapore in a day.

I may consider one night in Laos or in China.

what is the distant from Thailand to China border; which China border?

Which Laos border is better for my scooter?

Need some info on train as well :D
I hate to say it, but you need to be a bit more resourceful. All the information you are looking for is readily available on the internet.
Now if you are loking for a good beer bar in Bangkok or a decent mechanic in the Thai/Laos area, you undoubtedly came to the right place.

There is an absolute ton of information in archive on this website. Just click on the search button at the menu on the top of the page.
There is an old GT-Rider board and the search link is here Link removed
The information on this board is only a few months old, all the previous posts are located in the link. Much more info is there.

As I am sure many folks don't mind answering questions, but time and again I see the questions asked, the responses given and no comeback from the poster.

Just my opinion and not meaning to ruffle feather's. If I offended you it is not intentional.

I hope your trip goes well and keep the board updated with your trip.

Mar 15, 2003
www.daveearly.com
I could never be travel agent! I would go crazy answering the same questions over and over.

#1 Look at a map. You will see that the closest China border is Boten. You would cross at Huay Xai. This used to be an arduous and difficult trip, but the new road is now almost complete and recent travelers say it is quite easy. You are still talking two days up and 2 days back (allowing for border crossing to/from Laos). This would be a waste of time as you would want to do the loop through LPB and back to Vientiane I would imagine.

Why are you so set on the China border? You cannot cross.

All this is covered in many areas if you search the board a little. Time is still going to be your worst enemy unless you do some more advanced planning and prioritize what you really want to do.

Dec 20, 2007
My apologies as I am left with only a few days due to unexpected hiccups before my trip, I wish to get the answer fast.

Being on a scooter for this trip, I do not wish to go on the dirt road as most of you are interested of.

Since Huay Sai to Boten and back using the same border is not feasible, I think I would have to skip and stay in Thailand.

I’ll need 3 days riding up to Chiang Mai and another 3 days back. So I’m left with only 9 days in Chiang Mai. As I do not wish to waste my trip in Chiang Mai, where are the places you would suggest? Kindly note that my scooter cannot ride on dirt road.

This is my rough guide:
- Mae Hong Son loop
- The Long Neck village
- Thailand's Highest Peak
- Thailand's most Northern Point
- Beautiful Campsites
- Golden Triangle
- Nan's Ghost Pillar

Pikey

www.tbbtours.com
Stop stressing, ride up here, aim to complete SOME of your itinery, look at one of David's maps and enjoy your holiday. When it is over, think "damn that was fun" and then make more intuative plans for your next trip - coz you will have the bug! :lol:

Cheers,

Pikey.

Pauche

Mar 2, 2006
2_wheeler wrote: My apologies as I am left with only a few days due to unexpected hiccups before my trip, I wish to get the answer fast.

Being on a scooter for this trip, I do not wish to go on the dirt road as most of you are interested of.

Since Huay Sai to Boten and back using the same border is not feasible, I think I would have to skip and stay in Thailand.

I’ll need 3 days riding up to Chiang Mai and another 3 days back. So I’m left with only 9 days in Chiang Mai. As I do not wish to waste my trip in Chiang Mai, where are the places you would suggest? Kindly note that my scooter cannot ride on dirt road.

This is my rough guide:
- Mae Hong Son loop
- The Long Neck village
- Beautiful Campsites
- Golden Triangle
- Nan's Ghost Pillar
9 days is not enough for you to see all of the above + laos + china..... but if you can do it, you probably wouldn't be enjoying your ride.

going to any of the karen long neck villages in MHS require u to do some offroad riding + river crossing(S). take your time and spend all your 9 days around north/northeast thailand rather than trying to cover all of thai/laos/china.

you may want to save time on riding/accomodation on the hatyai's night train to bangkok, and/or continue on another train to chiangmai from hualumphong station. all these info can be found on www.seat61.com. however, prepare for some ROUGH handling of your bike when its strapped onto the train especially since you have more fairings than most other bikes.

take a look at the loops consolidated by the wonderful people here on this forum from chiangmai and these should keep you easily occupied for 9 days in north/northeast thailand.

Dec 20, 2007
Thanks everyone for all your info....

new updates:

I'm not going there only my own now... there is another Fat Boy coming along with me. He too has not been to MHS and we'll take our ride one step at a time.

Guy, if you happened to see a Silverwing and a Fat Boy riding together, that would be us! Kindly wave or just give us a horn. :D

Dec 20, 2007
Pauche wrote: [quote quote=2_wheeler]My apologies as I am left with only a few days due to unexpected hiccups before my trip, I wish to get the answer fast.

This is my rough guide:
- Mae Hong Son loop
- The Long Neck village
- Beautiful Campsites
- Golden Triangle
- Nan's Ghost Pillar
9 days is not enough for you to see all of the above + laos + china..... but if you can do it, you probably wouldn't be enjoying your ride.

going to any of the karen long neck villages in MHS require u to do some offroad riding + river crossing(S). take your time and spend all your 9 days around north/northeast thailand rather than trying to cover all of thai/laos/china.

you may want to save time on riding/accomodation on the hatyai's night train to bangkok, and/or continue on another train to chiangmai from hualumphong station. all these info can be found on www.seat61.com. however, prepare for some ROUGH handling of your bike when its strapped onto the train especially since you have more fairings than most other bikes.

take a look at the loops consolidated by the wonderful people here on this forum from chiangmai and these should keep you easily occupied for 9 days in north/northeast thailand.
Hey Pao Che,

we've decided not to go into Laos and China due to the time needed (2 days up and 2 days back).

I've read your latest trip to Chiang Mai. Did you go along? At 1st I thought you rode up on your wave, then after reading it then I know :D :D

burnjr

Dec 28, 2005
just ride bro....i will ride to eastern thai from kuala lumpur on
2/2/08~16/2/08..any taker and input..
changmai/changrai/Nan/Udonthani/nonkai/poipet/Petaya/bkk :D :arrow:

Pauche

Mar 2, 2006
2_wheeler wrote: [quote quote=Pauche][quote quote=2_wheeler:24f2mak0]My apologies as I am left with only a few days due to unexpected hiccups before my trip, I wish to get the answer fast.

This is my rough guide:
- Mae Hong Son loop
- The Long Neck village
- Beautiful Campsites
- Golden Triangle
- Nan's Ghost Pillar

Hey Pao Che,

we've decided not to go into Laos and China due to the time needed (2 days up and 2 days back).

I've read your latest trip to Chiang Mai. Did you go along? At 1st I thought you rode up on your wave, then after reading it then I know :D :D[/quote:24f2mak0]

yeap.... i went alone.
due to time constrain, i flew there..... faster and cheaper.....

Dec 20, 2007
burnjr wrote: just ride bro....i will ride to eastern thai from kuala lumpur on
2/2/08~16/2/08..any taker and input..
changmai/changrai/Nan/Udonthani/nonkai/poipet/Petaya/bkk :D :arrow:
Hope can meet up with you :wink:

burnjr

Dec 28, 2005
2 wheeler,

yap we will be in changmai on 4th or 5th of febuary and meet with david..hope can c u there bro..happy and safety riding.... :D :D

Dec 20, 2007
burnjr wrote: 2 wheeler,

yap we will be in changmai on 4th or 5th of febuary and meet with david..hope can c u there bro..happy and safety riding.... :D :D
wrong timing burnjr. :(

I moved off from Singapore on the 4th and moved off from hatyai on the 5th.

Need 3 days to reach Chiang Mai.

Oct 17, 2006
saw your post only now,
as Mike said I ride a SW600 with 100kg side car attached, plus 48kg passenger plus luggage some 20kg.

I enjoyed my Trip Phuket - Chiang Rai over 5000km very much, even rough dirt roads.

Because your taking along a fat guy just be aware of 2 risks=

slippage of the transmission belt on very steep hills.
If your transmission has not been modified with different weights, then keep rpm around 2800 rpm.
Otherwise the belt may slip and heat up,, consequently losing all traction. No harm , just cool it down. But you may be stuck for a while.

Because the SW is such a silent scooter, make sure that when going downhill over extended time that your engine is still running.
I had a long stretch downhill on a gravel road. The motor died on me. Didnt notice until I stopped to take a photo. Came back to the bike. Dead. Battery
very dead, had been eaten up by the lights, which I cannot switch off.

I trust you know how to change the back tire. Dont expect help,. take tools

Hace fun, it´s a great scooter
Pico

Dec 20, 2007
PICO-PICO wrote: saw your post only now,
as Mike said I ride a SW600 with 100kg side car attached, plus 48kg passenger plus luggage some 20kg.

I enjoyed my Trip Phuket - Chiang Rai over 5000km very much, even rough dirt roads.

Because your taking along a fat guy just be aware of 2 risks=

slippage of the transmission belt on very steep hills.
If your transmission has not been modified with different weights, then keep rpm around 2800 rpm.
Otherwise the belt may slip and heat up,, consequently losing all traction. No harm , just cool it down. But you may be stuck for a while.

Because the SW is such a silent scooter, make sure that when going downhill over extended time that your engine is still running.
I had a long stretch downhill on a gravel road. The motor died on me. Didnt notice until I stopped to take a photo. Came back to the bike. Dead. Battery
very dead, had been eaten up by the lights, which I cannot switch off.

I trust you know how to change the back tire. Dont expect help,. take tools

Hace fun, it´s a great scooter
Pico
Thanks for the great tips!

I do know how to change the rear tire however, I do not have the correct tools for it..... I was thinking of bring only my spares parts (belt etc.) and if I really needed it, guss any bike shop should have the tools, right?

Dec 20, 2007
PICO-PICO wrote: tools ? I guess they will always have something which with the bike can be ripped apart :)
OHHHH NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll better bring the tool to open the nut for the wheel :)

BTW, what different rollor's weight you using? is it better?

burnjr

Dec 28, 2005
2 wheele..
just for ur info thai machanic /people is very nice with forigner..
if they cant do..they say no..and they will borrow u the tools u needed... :D
it my experience in thai... :D