Riding Gear

Nov 17, 2008
Hi all,

I'm looking to spend a few weeks riding a hire bike in Laos this December, nothing too extreme but would like to explore down some of the lesser visited spots with some spare time.

My riding experience is mainly sportsbikes on the road with some trail riding on lighter bikes.

So... in your opinion is it worth me bringing all my kit out with me, (budget mx helmet and goggles, gloves, jacket, trousers, sport riding boots) or hiring out there?

Is a lightweight riding jacket good enough or would you recommend more MX oriented protection? Looking at some of the photos people seem split on this one?

Any other thoughts/opinions?

Cheers

jimoi

Nov 17, 2004
It's hard to say but depends on your level of comfort/safety. If you are riding up mountain area, it may be a bit on the cool side but the lower elevations are warm. For a lightweight jacket, I use a Joe Rocket with shoulder/elbow/back protection for mixed road/light off road and for full dirt tours, body armour with MX shirts.

There is next to nothing in Laos to purchase so if you want it for a long time, buy it abroad. My rental items are here and I price them low - I want people to use protection and if it's too expensive, no one takes it.

For deeper looking about, you should do a bit of training on sand/mud/ruts in Vientiane to get a feel for it. I'd be happy to run you over the stuff, it's in downtown Vientiane believe it or not and will put you through your paces to get the feel for track and dirt riding.

Jun 1, 2008
Is the dirt track gear (body armour etc) available for hire in Chiang Mai?

I found the thread which shows where it is available for sale but not maybe for hire

T

Jul 28, 2007
I rented a 250 Honda from James "Jimoi" Barbush at Remote Asia Nov. of 2007 for 18 days and it was a very good experience. Jim is an excellent connection for all things about Laos. I would recommend you make the effort to bring all your own gear. Nothing fits like your own stuff.