Riding this week flood alert

ray23

Oct 14, 2005
DANGER OF FLOODING
25 provinces on high alert
By THE SUNDAY NATION
Published on September 14, 2008

Meteorological Dept warns of more rains, floods in coming days

Khao Yai National Park in Prachin Buri yesterday stopped people from going to waterfalls or forest trekking for fear of landslides triggered by downpours.

Park chief Narong Mahannop said heavy rains and flooding in much of the park had forced it to issue the warning.

Meanwhile, Ayutthaya declared all districts flood risks as water in the Rama VI Dam continued to rise.

In Ban Mor, Saraburi, a girl is missing, while two boys were rescued from torrents in a canal.

In Wang Thong, Phitsanulok, 100 millimetres of rain flooded buildings, including a women's prison.

Residents of Noen Maprang evacuated to a local temple, fearing a recurrence of 2007 flooding.

Heavy downpours in Lop Buri caused floods that affected 23,500 families in Muang, Khok Charoen, Chai Badan, Nong Muang, Ban Mi

and Sa Bot districts. They have been declared disaster zones.

Some 3,000 houses in Ban Mi were submerged. Irrigation workers have delivered 20 pumps to help drain floodwaters.

The floods might also force Muang district schools to close tomorrow.

Forest floods from the Khao Khor range hit some 200 homes in Phetchabun's Muang district. A 700-metre stretch of Highway 21 was

impassable.

In Nakhon Ratchasima, residents of some 200 flood-hit homes in Muang district were still waiting for food and drinking water.

The Loei River is about to break its banks and riverside villages are on 24-hour alert.

The Meteorological Department warned of more rains and flooding in the next two days over most of the country.

It said Chiang Mai, Lamphun, Lampang, Tak, Sukhothai, Phitsanulok, Kamphaeng Phet, Phichit, Phetchabun, Loei, Chaiyaphum, Khon Kaen, Kalasin, Maha Sarakham, Roi Et, Nakhon Ratchasima, Nakhon Sawan, Uthai Thani, Chai Nat, Lop Buri, Sara Buri, Nakhon Nayok, Prachin Buri, Chanthaburi and Trat were at particular risk.

Dec 5, 2006
Hi Ray..Thanks for the efort you put in that post......
how bad is it in thailand at the moment.....
got a few thai friends here..and they are a bit worried......
keep the update coming...
Cheers..Kev

Sep 4, 2007
Here in Khon Kaen there is a fair bit of rain, and minor flooding of local roads but no threat to health or life, more like minor inconvenience.
Popped into the countryside and was suprised that the river not too high, and not flooding the roads as last year.
However it is worse in other parts, you may want to check this link from The Nation Newspaper today.
http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2008/09 ... 083436.php
Seems it will gradually calm down over the next few days, dry by the weekend.

ray23

Oct 14, 2005
Udon not much at all, went to Nonh Khai today and got about 10 Klms of real fine mist. just enough to cool you off.

We cancelled this weekend because of the area we were headed to Loie and there abouts. It seems to eb the area from Ning Bua Lampho north that are haing he problems at the moment.

I wouldn't get to concerned this is pretty normal stuff for this time of yewar. Next Month it should be pretty much gone.

What I watch is not only flood water, but new pot holes and sand on the road.

ray23

Oct 14, 2005
The latest I've seen:

North and northeast deluged
By The Nation
Published on September 15, 2008

Missing Pack Chong man found drowned; stranded saved

Twenty provinces in the North and Northeast are still at risk of flash floods over the next few days because of foreฌcast heavy rains.

Elsewhere, more than 1,000 families in two districts in Phitsanulok province in the lower North have been affected by floods, while more than 600 in Prachin Buri province in the east have been stranded by flash floods from Khao Yai National Park in neighbouring Nakhon Ratchasima.

More than 1,000 residents of Muak Lek, Saraburi and Pak Chong, Nakhon Ratchasima have received medical care from mobile teams at the initiative of HRH Crown Prince Maha Vajiralongkorn. There have been no reports of injuries. One in 10 suffers from insomnia.

A total of 5,000 firstaid kits and 2,000 pairs of waterproof boots have been provided.

A total of 100,000 firstaid kits are being prepared for disฌtribution, the Public Health Ministry said.

Muak Lek Hospital has been closed to all but emergency cases because of the worst flooding in 25 years. Its 12 ICU patients were sent to nearby hospitals, the ministry said.

The body of a man who went missing in Pak Chong last Thursday has been found.

Around 380 locals have been affected by flood, district chief Khaneethip Bunyaket said.

In Mukdahan province, three days of rain have submerged four long sections of a major road under a metre of water, makฌing it impassable. A school in Dong Luang district is under 1.5 metres of water.

In Phitsanulok, Wang Thong and Noen Maprang residents blame a new irrigation canal saying it has changed the nature of drainage in the area.

Soldiers from a local unit have helped move residents of two isolated villages to safety.

Muzz

Mar 27, 2007
I'm taking the bike on a trailer down to Thong Song next week. I've done that boring bastard ride so many times now, I prefer to be in the pickup in comfprt. I'll then leave the pick up and the trailer with friends and take the bike down to Singapore to get fixed up by M-tecknic before next years RTW...

Muzz

Franz

Jun 28, 2007
Eastern Thailand is experiencing heavy rains, these fotos are from the No.3 highway next to the flyover Bowin-Sriracha, I just wonder how they missed the road on such a short distance or maybe they floated off......................
monsun1.jpg

monsun2.jpg

monsun3.jpg

monsun4.jpg

Anyway, helping hands they were not short of..........

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
Franz
Love the photos. They really make me laugh & remind me of riding in the Chiang Mai floods in 94. I was taking my son Jason around for a ride through the floods for a bit of a thrill. It was over in Nong Hoi, where the road was supposedly closed due to the deep water & as the pickups were going through "we" decided to follow closely behind. The logic being I could see how deep the water was & the pickup in front would be "clearing" the way with a nice bow wave & so it would not be so bad. All good clever farang logic so I thought, until the pickup passed over a huge hole & I promptly dropped into the hole, almost completely submersing the bike. I somehow managed to keep hold of one handle bar & grab Jason by the scruff of the neck & drag him back up to where he was able to grab hold of the Gearsack rack on the back & not be washed away in the strong current! What an experience. Jason will never forget it & always reminds me of his old man’s brave foolishness.

Pic below outside the TAT office on the Chiang Mai - Lamphun road in the 94 floods.
304081963_JJu8y-M.jpg

Anyway the moral of the story: beware riding in floodwaters as you never know where or how deep the holes are!

Franz

Jun 28, 2007
Hahaha.............David a very brave man !!!! Just look at you, not even afraid a little bit of an uncovered drainage hole, amazing !!!! I love it really !!!! Just imaging your engine to fail and water running into your exhaust, carbs and as easily with 2 strokes into your engine the one or the other way....I once met such currents in India, I was on the way on foot and dropped into a drainage hole down to my hip, locals pulled me out, was just scared about all the nice little bacteria that were floating in this mess. Luckily didn't get any scratch.......will look up my old slides and scan some nicies for posting........come rain or shine, we don't care we keep on riding our bikes............

ray23

Oct 14, 2005
I think what we are experiencing is later the usual rainy season, the flooding problems seem to be somewhere every year. But this one does seem more difficult then the usual.

Trains to Northeast suspended as more flooding forecast
By The Nation
Published on September 20, 2008

Due to heavy flooding, train services to many destinations in the Northeast have been suspended indefinitely and people are advised to call the 1690 hotline to check which routes are still open.

As of press time, Udon Thani and Nong Khai were not accessible by trains.

"We are repairing the tracks where possible," the State Railway of Thailand's public relations chief Pairach Rojjaroen-ngarm said yesterday.

At present, flooding has wreaked havoc in many parts of the country, with a low-pressure ridge hovering over the lower North, upper Central and lower Northeast regions. The Meteorological Department has forecast more downpours in many provinces.

People living in the flooding-prone areas of Sukhothai, Phichit, Phitsanulok, Phetchabun, Chaiyaphum, Khon Kaen, Nakhon Ratchasima, Buri Ram, Surin, Nakhon Sawan, Saraburi, Lop Buri, Nakhon Nayok, Prachin Buri, Rayong, Chanthaburi and Trat have been warned of flash floods.

Many of these provinces are already reeling from damages caused by inundation.

Several villages in Chaiyaphum are submerged in metre-high floods and at least four schools have been closed due to inundation.

In Phitsanulok, two men were swept away early yesterday while they were standing by the banks of the Kwai Noi River. One of the victims was identified as Ngern Thongsuk, a relative of an executive with the UBC Joint Venture, which is constructing a dam in the province. The other victim was identified only as Ball. Rescue workers are still trying to retrieve the bodies.

In Nong Bua Lamphu, the body of a fourth victim, 33-year-old Utai Housewan, was found yesterday afternoon.

In Maha Sarakham, more than 70,000 rai of paddy fields are inundated.

The situation in Lop Buri is critical, with the worst hit areas submerged in up to 1.7 metres of water.

HRH Princess Srirasmi and HRH Princess Somsavali had their representatives distribute food and relief items to victims in Lop Buri yesterday.

Bangkok Metropolitan Administration is on alert as concerns that upriver run-offs may flood the capital.

"Directors of riverside district offices are instructed to be prepared," Bangkok city clerk Pongsak Semsant said.