Road safety

Mobaan

Apr 10, 2005
Am planning on a 2-3 week trip to Laos. I considered to use the trip suggestion as found on www.dirtbikeasia.com for Northern Laos.
Then a friend who lived for 10 years in Laos and still works there in the community development area , suggested to go to Southern Laos ,because of safety issues and potential raod banditery in Northern Lao.
What is the experience of all the frequent Lao travellers on this board? Is there really an unusual degree of danger ?

jimoi

Nov 17, 2004
No problems in the north but some concerns. Roads are all open as of now.

Some issues are around the Xaisomboune area as well as the Nam Et Phuy National Protected Area.

Not a big deal - common sense prevails.

Tab

Nov 3, 2009
My sister and I did a 7 day trip in Laos in march this year from Thailand - Pakse - Vientien - Van Vieng - Luang Prabang - Oudon Xai - Luang Namtha - Huaxay - Thailand, we had a great time and were never worried being two women alone, we stopped in most of the villages and on roadsides to take pictures and found everyone very friendly. People always seem to tell you it is too dangerous to go places. I don't know about the rest of the country but where we were it was fine. Enjoy your trip. Tab
:)