Road test 13 tooth front sprocket KLX - D-Tracker

Apr 22, 2003
Finally got my hands on a 13 tooth front sprocket for my D-Tracker and i like it.
My Theory: Even de restricted you cant get one of these bikes to rev much over 8,000 rpm in top gear they just dont make power in the high end rev range and struggle to get over that hump, my theory was that if i reduced the gearing it would allow the engine to spin up a bit more and allow the bike to get a bit more top speed.
My Findings: I was right, Now my D-Tracker on the flat tucked in tight would do 136 kph @ just over 8,000 rpm, with the 13 tooth gearing i cracked 141kph @ 10,000 rpm. in top gear.
What I really like about it though: Now if you normally cruise on a trip around the 100 - 110 kph range and because these bikes make their power between 6,000 - 8,000 rpm having the slightly lower gearing sits you in that power range at your cruising speed, so it pulls a little better when you come to a bit of a hill and is more responsive when over taking.
I have hardly noticed any reduction in fuel economy but their must be a reduction running lower ratios but it is very little.
For KLX owners doing off road, this is a must do, makes a big difference in the narly stuff.
Disadvantages: 1st gear runs out a bit quick around town, so you just short shift a bit more.
ONE MORE TOPIC. "Snorkels"
Kawasaki are selling larger snorkels for about 200 baht, now they do make a difference but it depends on what you want your bike to do.
If your into off road or want to be the king at traffic lights then go the larger snorkel.
It alters the power curve to the lower rev range but reduces the power at the top end scale.
If your into touring and more road riding stick with the stock snorkel and dont drill holes in your air box.
By the way Im still doing de restrictions for KLXs and D-Trackers for 2,000 Baht. contact me through this website.
John

Aug 29, 2008
so where do you get the 13 tooth sprocket?
would it be feasible to get a batch made up?
It seems very hard to obtain them in chiang mai

Apr 22, 2003
Probably wouldn't hurt to get some made up, dont understand why Kawasaki dont stock them.

Apr 22, 2003
My friend imported a couple from the states, through some website but i dont know who or what site.

Ally

Dec 13, 2007
Interesting news Jon, thanks for your clear explanation.

There is a sent message in my out box to jonadda since 19 june 2009. Would you mind receiving it Jon so that it clears, thanks.

Ally

Apr 22, 2003
Cheers Ally
A message, just goes to show how long its been since ive been on this site.

Nov 2, 2008
Ally wrote: Interesting news Jon, thanks for your clear explanation.

There is a sent message in my out box to jonadda since 19 june 2009. Would you mind receiving it Jon so that it clears, thanks.

Ally
You have me beat there Ally, my oldest message - to Jonadda - is only from January this year.

Do you ever ride any more Ally? :lol:

Ally

Dec 13, 2007
Typical fisherman !!

Yes I ride cos I have a bike but sadly not as much as many others do.

Glad to see you are getting out now & whats more, with a camera !;)

Ally

Sep 20, 2010
Just a post about the 13 tooth front sprocket. I found this website where you can order parts directly in Thailand:

http://www.motosport.com/dirtbike/categ ... /Sprockets

But don't know if they would fit the klx 250. There is a big list of compatibility, from the klx300 to the kx250, kdx 250, even klx250 (but only for model of years 96).

Anyone knows if any of those would fit on the klx250 2010 thai model?