Road Trip 002 - Phuket to Hua Hin - March 2023

Apr 3, 2023
Hi guys,

As part of the Farangbowl Magazines road trip series, my brother, his friend Les and I road from Phuket to Hua Hin on a Honda CBR 650F, a BMWR1250GS Adventure Triple Black, and me on my Suzuki Hayabusa 2010 Gen II. I have attached the following videos with the blessing of DavidFL as I think any rider who is thinking of or who loves riding in Asia will find these not only entertaining but also really useful.

I hope you enjoy,
Best wishes
James

Phuket to Hua Hin Pt. 1

Phuket to Hua Hin Pt. 2

Reactions: scotty007
Apr 3, 2023
I hope you enjoyed it :joy:. Ad and I have just got back from a trip from Ao Nang to Koh Samui. This will be uploaded next month.

jimboy

Ol'Timer
Subscribed
Sep 28, 2010
South-East Asia
www.asserogear.com
The wide-angle on the 'Busa looks superb. More of that, please! It's a long, straight road and dang hot. Not surprised you felt the effect of the heat.

On the technical side, you are over-compressing the video. Perhaps look at your output settings? And upload a 4k version if its not too boring to get done. Overall the video quality could do with more contrast. A colour grading pack would give a consistent feel.

Apr 3, 2023
The wide-angle on the 'Busa looks superb. More of that, please! It's a long, straight road and dang hot. Not surprised you felt the effect of the heat.

On the technical side, you are over-compressing the video. Perhaps look at your output settings? And upload a 4k version if its not too boring to get done. Overall the video quality could do with more contrast. A colour grading pack would give a consistent feel.
Hi Jimboy, thank you for your comments. On the technical side, I did notice the compression myself as this wasn't apparent in Premier Pro. I have read that YouTube can over overcompress large video files. The GoPro 7 and 9 are set to 2.7k and the Insta 360 4k. I was thinking of pulling them back to 1080p as I never have a problem with that normally.

With regards to colouring, I do 'Colour Correct' and 'Grade' with my own LUT (Look Up Table). However, the LUT I use is for my DSLR Canon 90Ds, but this always caused an issue for the Go Pros. I decided to drop the LUT on this last Road Trip and the colours looked better, just not as good with a decent LUT. I was watching a YouTube tutorial last night on 'Colour Correcting' and 'Grading' different cameras (as this is a common issue) and this guy mentioned a cool product called 'CineMatch'. First you set up the LUT on top of the camera you want to use as a benchmarch, and correct and grade. Then you click on the following clips you want to match shot on different cameras, open up 'Cinematch' and tell it what camera you want the clips to copy (it lists all makes from Canons, to GoPros, to even Iphones), then tell it the LUT you are using and with one click they are nearly perfectly in syncs. This will seriously speed up workflow.

Best wishes, James