Round the world on an R80G/S - looking for a place to work on the bike in Chiang Mai

Discussion in 'Northern Thailand - General Discussion Forum' started by Malindi, Jun 21, 2013.

1. Malindi

Malindi Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi all,

I'm traveling around the world and am in Chiang Mai at the moment. I am looking for a garage/shop space where I can do a few minor maintenance items to the bike (change gear box oil, drive line oil etc.). I also need to replace the final drive O ring (it’s a BMW R80G/S). I have a new seal and need a flat seal puller (edit: I bought one and will leave it behind for whoever can use it). I am more than happy to pay (beer?) for shop time. I’d probably want to borrow a hammer and a few nails (to indent the oil seal) and sundry items like an oil pan and funnel. I have all the tools I need, I think.

I do all my own work on my bike so I am hesitant to ask a local shop for space as inevitably they’ll want to jump in and help out.
    Does anyone have any suggestions as to where I could go to find some space?

The other thing I would like to find is a high-pressure self-serve car wash (edit: found one across from Suandok Hospital but they didn't want to wash my bike... ), if that exists here … It’s been since Arizona (I am from Canada) since the bike’s had a wash …:shifty:

Thanks for any info.

Is there a monthly get-together per chance?

Kevin 0901032991

2. johngooding

johngooding Ol'Timer

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    Hi Kevin,
    To answer you last question first, next Friday is the monthly dinner, from 7pm on 28th at Franco Thai restaurant, which is in a small soi behind Icon Square, the computer centre on the North side of the moat.
    Secondly I have covered space behind my house with tools where I maintain my bikes and you are welcome to use that. Luckily for you I do not drink beer, so one bottle of water will do the job. I am about 5km from the town centre just outside the second ring, the 3029 and well inside the outer ring or 121.
    If interested to come and have a look ring me on 0818825122.
    Cheers
    John

3. Malindi

Malindi Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    John,
    Thanks so much for the reply and the offer of help. I'll come hang out with you guys next Friday. As to the bike, I'm going to visit a gentleman named Marc, about 20 kms out of town, who seems to have a full shop, lift and tools and also rode a BMW R80G/S at some point. I hope to get everyhting squared away tomorrow.

See you next Friday.

Kevin

4. johngooding

johngooding Ol'Timer

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    Glad you got sorted, I hope the work all goes smoothly.
    Will look forward to seeing you next Friday
    Cheers, John

5. burnjr

burnjr Ol'Timer

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    hope everthing fine if u drop by malaysia just sms me +60122568742 or email me [email protected] c u malindi