Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 Twin & Continental Gt 650 Twin Revealed

Discussion in 'Royal Enfield Motorcycles in Thailand' started by GTR-Admin, Nov 8, 2017.

1. GTR-Admin

GTR-Admin Administrator
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -0
    royal-enfield-650-twins.

After a year of speculation, hints and motorcycling press snapshots of drab test bikes, Royal Enfield have officially shown off their long-anticipated twin cylinder motorcycles at the Milan EICMA Motorcycle Show. The Interceptor 650 Twin and the Continental GT 650 Twin are planned for release in September 2018.

Royal-Enfield-650cc-parallel-twin-engine.

The two bikes will have a brand new 650 cc parallel-twin engine, marking the first time in half a century that Royal Enfield has such a bike on it's product line. Both the Interceptor and the Continental GT 650 are modern classics with a delightful profile evocative of the 1950's and 60's.

royal-enfield-650cc-twin-engine.

The new Interceptor 650 shows its bloodlines clearly, harking back to the original Interceptor Mark I. The Interceptor and the Continental GT 650 use the same chassis and the engine.
    RE-650-Interceptor.

The Interceptor is more of an old-school roadster style motorcycle

gt_slide2.

The Continental GT 650 is a full-blown café racer

According to Siddhartha Lal, the CEO of Royal Enfield;

The bikes are in last stage of production. We expect to launch in some markets starting April next year and then through the year across various global other global geographies. Royal Enfield aims to lead and expand the mid weight (250 cc -750 cc) motorcycle segment globally. These two new bikes would help grow this segment.

Interceptor-Ravishing-Red-1.

The Royal Enfield Interceptor and Continental GT 650 are powered by an all-new air and oil-cooled 648 cc twin-cylinder engine that generates 47 bhp of power and 53 NM of torque.

Continental-GT-Black-Magic-1.

Developed at Royal Enfield’s UK technology centre in Leicestershire, the engine is intended to carry the classic Royal Enfield legacy and styling into a 21st century context.

interceptor_slide2.

2. Ian Bungy

Ian Bungy Ol'Timer

Ratings:
    +111 / 0 / -0
    I think they Look Fantastic! The Interceptor looks a lot Nicer than the GT, Shame it is such a low HP Engine but Looking forward to seeing one in the Flesh and the Thailand Prices!!!

3. GTR-Admin

GTR-Admin Administrator
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -0
    The new 47 BHP 650cc "low HP engine" is actually pretty grunty compared to the latest;
    • 900cc Triumph T100 and Street Twin has a very modest 54 HP - approx 15 HP less than a Versys
    • 1200cc Triumph Speedmaster is only 77 HP - approx 8 HP more than a Versys...
    I think the focus has been keeping the Royal Enfield's performance just inside the EU / UK motorcycle license rules; Age 19-20 - 47 bhp max: the A2 licence.

That's quite a large market segment, and it makes perfect sense not to exclude the bike from that market.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Ian Bungy

Ian Bungy Ol'Timer

Ratings:
    +111 / 0 / -0
    If the Price is right they should sell lots of them!

5. jimboy

jimboy Ol'Timer

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    2018_0101_075848_431_1600.JPG
    A detailed review, "Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin," is available on the Indian forum Team-BHP.com. From November 2018 customer bikes have been delivered within India. So far, the bikes have been met with relatively few criticisms and quite a bit of astonishment. A vibration free Royal Enfield? It can't be!

The Interceptor 650 looks like competition for the basic Triumph Bonneville. Royal Enfield in Chiang Mai is expecting the 650 twins to arrive in March. It will be interesting to ride the bike to see how it compares to more expensive competition.

The launch bike featured in worldwide press had an orange tank - "Orange Crush" - which evokes a Seventies feeling. Personally I like the look of the standard "Mark Three" black, and the special "Glitter and Dust" chrome finishes.

Interceptor_650_black-1.

Interceptor_650_black-2.

Interceptor_650_black-3.

Interceptor_650_black-4.

RE appear to have captured the essence of a classic twin. According to reports RE's acquisition of the UK's Harris Performance has paid off since the Harris team were involved in engineering the majority of the bike. There have been exemplary reports about the frame and geometry, the gearbox, and the engine.

Interceptor_650_chrome-1.
    Interceptor_650_chrome-2.
    Interceptor_650_chrome-3.

Interceptor_650_chrome-4.

As for the price of the 650 Twins in Thailand, they are very competitive. It's tempting to trade-in a PCX as a deposit for a 650cc.
    RoyalEnfield_RepaymentSchedule_2019.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Dodraugen

Dodraugen Ol'Timer

Ratings:
    +51 / 0 / -0
    Thats a very reasonably price for those models! Im tempted...:yum

7. Ian Bungy

Ian Bungy Ol'Timer

Ratings:
    +111 / 0 / -0
    I think they are a fantastic Bargain! I am Tempted Myself for that Price! Beautiful looking! I should of made My Shed Bigger! Bugger!

8. GTR-Admin

GTR-Admin Administrator
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -0
    I've been closely watching the 650 Twins story unfold since the first rumours started circulating online. Whilst I'd love a vintage bike, I lack the technical expertise of guys like Ian Yonok which is essential to keep such a bike running. I'd like a retro-styled bike and the Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 ticks all the boxes in terms of the marque's authenticity, historical appeal and close reproduction of an earlier model etc. And as Ian Bungy states - the price is "a fantastic bargain!"

Unlike Ian, my shed is probably big enough to fit one in... I came awfully close to buying a RE Classic 500 a year ago. The Rebel 500 won on the day because of the extra horsepower - and I could not bear to wait another 18 months for the release of the 650 Interceptor!

In terms of kerb appeal, the 650 Interceptor is a lovely looking bike. The reviews I've pored over are, with few exceptions, very positive in all respects. Like jimboy, I like the look of the standard "Mark Three" black, and the special "Glitter and Dust" chrome finishes and would be hard-pressed to make the choice between them! ;)

9. David Learmonth

David Learmonth Ol'Timer

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I think these new ones "should" be quite reliable. The one thing that puts me off is that the dealership is so far away from where I live. 235 kms to travel for purchase servicing etc is a no/no now.