Rumor: BMW to build F800GS in Thailand

Nov 7, 2007
I know there were some previous rumors that BMW is building a factory; but they seemed vague and talking about small displacement bikes.

Now I've heard from unnamed sources that the F800GS is going to be built here. I imagine if true it means assembled here, like the Ducatis, not actually made here like Kawasakis.

Nov 7, 2007
I noticed that on the Ducati price list, there's two kind of models: CKD and imported. CKD means completely knocked down - AFAIK it means that all parts are imported, it's assembled here, and there's still some percentage of import tax to pay on the parts. I think that's 30% but not sure.

Kawasaki and some Hondas are built here with many parts sourced locally so they don't have to pay this tax.

How it works exactly, what percentage of bike parts needs to be from Thailand or SE Asia to count as locally made, I don't know.

To me the difference is in the price: Locally made bikes cost the same as they do in the USA; CKD locally assembled bikes cost 30% more. That's more or less true for Kawasaki, Ducati, Honda.

Sep 19, 2006
www.chiangmai-xcentre.com
The Quality is the Same no matter where they are Assembled! The difference is the Price! Which up to now Triumph has Failed to Capitalise on and will get Swamped By top Quality Reasonably Priced Bikes like the Ducati Hyperstrada! Now if I could By a F800GS for around 500.000 Baht that would be a Major step in the Right direction and Hard to Resist!!! There are NO Adventure Bikes currently being Sold that are much use accept as a Long distance Cruiser! They are all To Big and Heavy! The KTM 690 Enduro is the Closest to a Real Adventure Bike but Way Over Priced and most KTM are Unreliable!!!

Nov 7, 2007
Three kinds of prices:
- Locally made, no import tax (prices comparable to U.S., especially Honda, Kawasaki seems to add a bit)
- CKD locally assembled, imported parts, taxed at at least 30% (if somebody knows the exact figure plz let me know)
- Imported, taxed at 100%. Possibly less if imported from Japan where there is a FTA in place.

All bikes regardless of where they're made then get hit with a cc-based excise tax, and VAT.

Oct 17, 2006
Triumph , Kawasaki , Honda and Ducati all have the same deal according to the BOI and finance ministry , for sale of big bikes produced in THAILAND over 85% of the parts for Z800 and ER6 models are sourced in Thailand or ASEAN bloc ,Ducati 795 has over 73% of parts sourced locally or in ASEAN bloc only the engine is from italy , the frames are made in Taiwan now.

Thats why they are sold at reasonable prices 375,000 for the Z800 and 410,000 for the monster

Triumph are now the odd one out 690,000 for Basic Bonneville 895 cc is crazy its actually got more local & ASEAN components than the Ducati at 78% although the engine comes from UK ,its performance is way less than rivals ......as are the sales .