Sai Yok Trails, Kanchanaburi

Jan 4, 2014
Over the past few weeks I've been exploring the trails to the west of the Kwae Noi River in the Sai Yok district, close to the Burmese border.

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

On Saturday I reached the Police checkpoint close to the border that leads to two interesting border points, the trail straight ahead for the Tao Dam Temple, with an Italian abbot, and the lefthand trail for Khao Pla Noi, a 1,060 m mountain peak near Myeik, Tanintharyi, both about 10kms away.

attachment.jpg

The temple is nothing special in terms of it's building but the location, next to a hill over which lies Burma and the trail to it, which is a scenic ride through bamboo forests with evidence of wild elephants and the crossing of many (currently dry) streams, makes it a worthwhile destination.

attachment.jpg

At the Police outpost at Khao Pla Noi the Burmese army huts can be clearly seen (in the photo below they are on the top of the hill between the building legs). The wind is cool and refreshing 'up there' at a relatively high altitude and again the ride is scenic and challenging in parts due to the rocky trail. This is a popular destination for Thai 4x4 drivers and Enduro riders. The policeman on duty initially didn't want me travelling there, quoting safety concerns but once a convey of off-road vehicles arrived he let me go off ahead.

attachment.jpg

Below is a selection of photos taken from a GoPro attached to the front of my bike to give you a sense of the area and trails.

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

Mar 30, 2010
Nice one and great photos.

Love that border run track... absolute ripper.
Has to be one of the best in the area.

Pretty steep getting up here.
attachment.jpg

We also had a baby elephant run on to the track up ahead..
Which was a concern as an angry mother will not be far away..

We didn't hang around and got away quick.

Cheers
Brian

Jan 4, 2014
I agree about the steepness. I got caught a few times and ended up falling over with the bike onto my side. My chain needs changing after almost a year of abuse so tomorrow I'll be at the Dirtshop getting on a larger rear sprocket installed too. The CRF is geared too high and I really felt it on these tracks at the weekend. Should help.

Öhlins got a good workout though!

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
Wow. That looks like real adventure riding - especially alone - out there
You wouldn't want to come unstuck & break a few bones I reckon.

Incredible how "close" to Bangkok it is & how good it is though.
Makes life here really enjoyable alright - so easy to jump on the bike & go bush in the wild with no real restrictions.

Glad you're enjoying yourself + posting it on GTR - many thanks.

Mar 30, 2010
CraigBKK;305453 wrote: I agree about the steepness. I got caught a few times and ended up falling over with the bike onto my side. My chain needs changing after almost a year of abuse so tomorrow I'll be at the Dirtshop getting on a larger rear sprocket installed too. The CRF is geared too high and I really felt it on these tracks at the weekend. Should help.

Öhlins got a good workout though!
555 I remember thinking as it got steeper and steeper.. Will this ever end, where is the top.
The lose soil too.. So if you did stop.. Hard to get going again with out digging a hole . Not to mention narrow with long drop down.

Do they still have the barbed wire across the smaller tracks that lead to Burma.. Nearly didn't see it laying on the ground.
Would not have been fun to get a puncture up there.

Glad the Ohlins is working out for you.
Made such a difference on the KLX.

Cheers
Brian

Jan 4, 2014
brian_bkk;305461 wrote: 555 I remember thinking as it got steeper and steeper.. Will this ever end, where is the top.
The lose soil too.. So if you did stop.. Hard to get going again with out digging a hole . Not to mention narrow with long drop down.

Do they still have the barbed wire across the smaller tracks that lead to Burma.. Nearly didn't see it laying on the ground.
Would not have been fun to get a puncture up there.

Glad the Ohlins is working out for you.
Made such a difference on the KLX.

Cheers
Brian
No barbed wire. Rode to the foot of the hill where the Burmese army are based. Too hot to walk up and say hello!