Security of belongings

Jun 1, 2008
HI again

From a practical day to day viewpoint, what do you guys do regarding safety and security of your personal stuff when touring. As an example, I know that there are waterfalls and other places to visit on the various routes and presume that you would park your bike up and walk to wherever. By definition, riders need helmets and maybe protective clothing which would be cumbersome to carry around with you.

I wondered what you do when leaving your bike. Do you find a local food vendor or something like that and ask them to look after your stuff. Do you lock it somehow or do you just take the risk. I am imagining riding alone for the most of my time there so leaving one of the 'team' may not be an option.

Maybe this isn't an issue but I wonder what the seasoned travellers do.

Thanks

T

Sep 4, 2007
I have two bikes with hard lockable panniers, one also has a Topbox. The Topbox is ideal for storing a helmet, and a relatively small rucksack can accomodate the clothing. Never thought of leaving it at a foodstall, I think you would need to speak pretty good Thai to make sure what you were doing was well understood.

I keep a small wire lock on the bars for the helmet. If there is no room in my boxes then I either leave the jacket on or under the bike, hide it in the bushes (a short distance up the trail) or leave it with the ticket sellers. Many waterfalls, etc. are in national parks and as a farang you pay through the nose, so I make them look after my stuff. I don't speak Thai, but this was never a problem.

Thais don't normally wear bike gear, so it's probably safe to leave on the bike.

Marco

Oct 15, 2006
Khuang Nai
Like in Johns bik we have 3 lockableunremoveble banniers on Beemer + extra top bag what is tight down by clamps, helmets are going in to tob box and have to say nothing is left open air,, but would not left anything unlocked here,,,,even one dont need something they alwasy wanna take it for sale...

Dougal

Dec 18, 2007
The sad thing is is that if you leave something lying around and not tied down then there is always a good chance it will disappear.

Like the guys have already said a top box or fixed luggage is the best solution. That's why I have one now.

That said, your suggestion of having a vendor take care of it is a good option; just make sure they know that they will receive something for it.

mikerust

Subscribed
Nov 5, 2003
I nearly had a psychic girlfriend once, but she left me before we met.

Dougal,

I heard that you were once declined membership to an on-line dating service. When asked what you liked most in a woman. Your answer of "My dick" was deamed inappropriate. :p

May 25, 2006
HuaHin
Hi Friends,

Watching your posts at present from Old Europe , where I am at present, I would say that I would much care about "belongings" in the bank than belongings around the bike.

For me, all the times I went out with my bikes, it was safe and very friendly, vendors keeping an eye on "the Farang's bike" which is much more as an OVNI for them than a bike they use to see.

Now what would be your bank trust ranking in LOL ?

Jun 1, 2008
HI guys

Maybe it is a small issue and not something to be concerned about. I guess it is less about the potential value of losses but the idea that I may be somewhere and have my helmet nicked, potentially leaving me stranded and at the mercy of the cops.

I presumed that hire bikes don't have lockable boxes hence the question.

I appreciate the answers and will use them when planning what to take with me on trips and when deciding the duration of the trips. Have been goven the phrase 'Kho Fark' which (unless I am being wound up) means 'may I leave this with you' more or less.

Politeness is a world wide thing. I am sure that a smile and respect to others will make it all work out.

Cheers from NZ

T

Dougal

Dec 18, 2007
MikeRust,

I hate it when people suss me out. Just to add there was more than one agency involved!!

If all else fails I always fall back on a response from Groucho Marx to an offer of membership to one the most exclusive mens clubs in New York:

"I regretfull have to decline your offer on the basis that I refuse to belong to any club that would have someone like me as a member."

Jun 1, 2008
Thanks again

If anyone is interested I have been given the following phrase to use. I will print it out and laminate it and carry it in my wallet in case.

Kho Fahk Noi Khrap ขอฝากหน่อยครับ

Cheers

T

Jul 18, 2007
tonykiwi wrote: Thanks again

If anyone is interested I have been given the following phrase to use. I will print it out and laminate it and carry it in my wallet in case.

Kho Fahk Noi Khrap ขอฝากหน่อยครับ

T
Boy, this is ripe with comedic potential. Your phrase is correct, though I would add one word: Khong (R): ขอฝากของหน่อยครับ.

That would then be: Kho Fahk Khong Noi Khrap. The additional word means "thing".

In either case, you'd be wise to rely on your printout. If you get the vowels or tones wrong, you could be:

Asking for a squash or pumpkin...

Asking for a testicle...

Asking to be bruised...

And best of all, in case the word Fahk is mistaken for English, asking for...well, you figure it out...

Good luck, and happy riding!

Jun 1, 2008
When I was originally given the words in English, all I was given was Kho Fark, and naturally suspected that someone was having me on.

I still gonna have the thing printed and keep it in my wallet in case it is needed. Sounds safer than telling a vendor I need a bruised testicle

Cheers

T

Jul 18, 2007
tonykiwi wrote: When I was originally given the words in English, all I was given was Kho Fark, and naturally suspected that someone was having me on.

I still gonna have the thing printed and keep it in my wallet in case it is needed. Sounds safer than telling a vendor I need a bruised testicle

Cheers

T
Actually it could get worse, I only played with the word "fahk". If you mispronounced the first word, kho, which is likely, you could be saying "cow testicles", or "cow f**k". Thai is the most fun language in the world, and Thais love to play with it, but it is perilous terrain for the farang... Stick to your printed paper!

Sep 4, 2007
I know the Thais like to have fun and those of us with some Thai are often perplexed when we are not understood, but I do think if you wander up to ticket desk or food stall with helmet and coat in hand, and make a motion to hand them over, that even mischiveous Thais are not going to think you are chatting about cow testicles, but of course TIT.
If you never have a go, you never learn any more. Go on say the words and see what happens.

Jul 18, 2007
johngooding wrote: If you never have a go, you never learn any more. Go on say the words and see what happens.
Fully agree, it is fun to learn the language - and as it is said: you cannot learn a language and look intelligent at the same time!

I suppose the best course of action would be to go ahead and ask for cow's balls, or worse, and then clarify with the paper! Thai people are wonderfully forgiving of farang mangling of their language - but trying to get something specific done can be a challenge. It can be a challenge even if you say it right! :roll:

Jun 1, 2008
johngooding wrote:
If you never have a go, you never learn any more. Go on say the words and see what happens.
Whilst my 'Thai' is extremely limited I do try to make the effort as much as possible and have found that when I make the effort, Thais in turn make the effort to correct me and help me out. Taxi drivers have been particularly helpful.

It seemed to be a great source of entertainment on a bus to Bkk from Kanchunaburi once when I proudly asked in Thai for some of those deep fried bananas.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained aye