Moto-Rex

Subscribed
Jan 5, 2008
Soppong - Wat Chan - Chiang Mai

Riders.
Pee.
Chiangmairich.
Moto-Rex.

After two good nights in of being spoilt in The Soppong River Inn, and enjoying the festivities of the Lusi new year, Pee, chiangmairich and myself decided to head back to Chiang Mai via Wat chan.

As you can see, the dirt section of the ride is like most of the dirt roads in thailand now, dusty, rocky and very slippery.

Pee avoiding the ruts.
PICT0336.jpg

Chiangmairich having no trouble on the big African Twin.
PICT0335.jpg

Pee was on a DR400, with road wheels and tires, which made the road a little tricky.
Not that you'd know it. Check the aggressive riding style.
PICT0337.jpg

PICT0339.jpg

Chiangmairich...coming, and going.
PICT0344.jpg

PICT0341.jpg

Pee.
PICT0345.jpg

Chiangmairich, having flash backs of the bar he visited the night before. :roll:
PICT0346.jpg

On the road again.
PICT0349.jpg

Pee on the tarmac.
PICT0350.jpg

Just out of Sameong.
PICT0351.jpg

Get days ride, and a great alternative to the main road to Pai.

Ally

Dec 13, 2007
Seems like you 3 had a good ride!

Where is the smiley groups shot ?

What sort of time did you complete the journey in, including stops?

Ally

Moto-Rex

Subscribed
Jan 5, 2008
Ally wrote: Seems like you 3 had a good ride!

Where is the smiley groups shot ?

What sort of time did you complete the journey in, including stops?

Ally
My two riding companions may update with a few more photo's soon.

Cheers Rex

pee

Mar 10, 2006
To Ally:

We left Soppong around 11 am and reached the X Centre at 5 pm. This includes fuel stop and drink, cigarettes and pictures.
On the way up to Pai Moto Rex rode this route alone and did Chiang Mai-Pai in about 3 hours... I 'd say he hasn't wasted time! My riding style may look "aggressive" but his was much more efficient. He had plenty of time setting his camera to catch good spots while waiting for me. Thanks mate.

Overall it's a good SuperMoto itinerary. Nice mix of curvy tarmac mountain road and dirt without much difficulties... Just keep focus and watch for sandy bits. Not many, not very deep and not very long. However the dirt section might not survive many years. We spotted Thai road "engineers" taking measurements along the way. I guess tarmac is not too far away. Better enjoy it now the nice way it is.
This route is longer that the main road to Pai but it's more pleasant. Mostly because one doesn't get the traffic of the 1095 with mad minivans drivers always keen to cut blind corners.
I don't use GPS but say that it's about 200kms from Chiang Mai to Pai through Wat Chan.
Petrol is available along the way. So no worry for those relying on small dirt bikes tanks.
When I get back to Bangkok I will post a few pics.
Cheers

pee

Mar 10, 2006
Not much to add to the previous comments I have made about this route... Just a few pics as promised:

As always humility lesson: this route can be done on a moppet easily
popuang.jpg

Even with a plastic case under the arm for the most competitive
Basketinhand.jpg

So Rex, why do we prefer these machines?
P1000203.jpg

Rex and Richard
forest-1.jpg

This itinerary displays a comprehensive panel of road surfaces from dirt to tarmac
KLX-1.jpg

And also old style paving stone
souslespavs.jpg

Burning was going on
P1000224.jpg

It was on March 3rd.

Oct 12, 2005
Great to see you boys having fun. Love the variety of bikes on the trip.

Pee - Did you source your light for the DRZ400 in Thailand? Looks like it helps a bit at night.

pee

Mar 10, 2006
Hi Big 'n Tall,
Sorry for the late answer... I was away in the land of smelly cheese trying to avoid Songkran and fulfill my tax return duties.
About the headlight. I got it second hand from Fuarck in Vientiane. I believe it's a Djebel headlight. A Yamaha Raid headlight would probably fit as well. I add a halogen bulb.
Indeed it greatly helps at night... especially for people who often run late because of too many stops during trips...
Cheers