Source For Shinko Tires In Thailand?

highonthai

Displaced desert racer
Feb 20, 2007
Hang Dong, Chiang Mai, Thailand
download.jpg
Looking for a new set of Shinko 705's
One shop (Big bike tires and service/Chiang Mai) Has told me the supply from BKK has dried up.
Anyone have a source for tire shop that might have stock of the 705's?
Any info or recommendations would be appreciated.
Thanks
Scott

Sep 19, 2006
www.chiangmai-xcentre.com
My Friends rented 3 Honda CB500X and they were fitted with those Tires! They thought they were good in the Dry but Treacherous in the Wet! One had a massive slide and the others said they could spin them in a Straight line, and for a 500X to do that they can't be much? While they are Cheap and great for the dry season I suggest for wet season if You can afford a better Tire go for it! By Comparison I had My Ducati Desert Sled fitted standard with Pirelli Scorpion STR Rally. 11.000 kms on them so nearly finished and with quite a bit more HP yet I had no slips or spinning!

Reactions: Eoin Christie

highonthai

Displaced desert racer
Feb 20, 2007
Hang Dong, Chiang Mai, Thailand
Ian,
Thanks for the info.
Not being one that usually would buy on the cheap,I understand the importance of good tires. Although it would be interesting to know what tire pressure they were running (Thai bike shops seem to always over inflate).
Might have to bring my durometer with me. Just curious on the compounds. Browsing some of the 500x forums, many riders seem to like the 705's. But then again it seems like a large percentage of them are new riders.
Where in CM did you purchase you STR's from and what was the cost?
Thanks
Scott

Dodraugen

Subscribed
Aug 19, 2012
Lampang
I have run through set of Shinko 705 on my Tenere 660 on a RTW trip. Amongst others I did The Gibb River road (an 800 km outback road in northwestern Australia, which more than 650 kms is gravel/sand/mud including some challenging rivercrossings etc) And the Shinkos also were on the bike through the last half of Indonesia on the same RTW trip - and the tyres did perfectly well for what they are, a 80/20 on/offroad tyre. In the roughest part of the Gibb River road I wished I had something more knobby-ish but except from that they were totally ok, I had no issues in the wet with them.

I think paved roads in Thailand for some reason or another get very slippery when wet, much more than other places in the world. Just look at the amount of cars in the ditches during or right after a rainshower in Thailand. Thaidrivers are maybe not all that great but they cannot by all means be that bad either...
Maybe the mixture of stuff thats used in asphalt in Thailand are a bit different compared to asphalt used other countries so that the roads get more slippery when wet? Maybe the heat does something to the asphalt when it get wet so it gets slippery? I dont know, but thai roads get very slippery when wet. Personally I think thats the problem your mates had when riding the Cb500Xs with Shinko 705 tyres, not the tires themself.

Then again - something I have learned about tires and choice of tyres is that it is very personally. Just like what music people like or what food people like. When it comes to tyres its exactly the same.

Last edited:
Reactions: Eoin Christie

Eoin Christie

Ol'Timer
Jul 16, 2019
Thank you for the 2 (conflicting) experience reports, Ian and Dodraugen. Conflict is where opportunity tends to reside in that, by describing 2 sides of a coin, we get to see the coin.
I’m looking at a set of E705’s for my Interceptor (very few 70/30 > 80/20 offerings to suit 2.50 and 3.50 18” rims). The reports and reviews tend to be along the lines of capable in the dry (on- and off-Asphalt), high on the longevity property, and the above suggests to take care in the wet. I think I can live with that (assuming I get a positive response to a query I sent to Shinko regards rim suitability).
I know the Gibb River well, Dodraugen. I spent 2-1/2 years working up there in the 1980’s. At that time I was driving a LWB Series II Landrover, and riding a Montesa Cappra VB 250. Fun times, and freedom to be stupid... :)

Reactions: DavidFL