Southern Laos 10 days with the GF – “Madam Champa.”

Yuri Orlov

Nov 13, 2018
Very informative report, David. Great pictures.
I have been to Xe katam falls just yesterday. The way down does not exists anymore, however there are still signs indicating the trail. I did it on foot only hundred meters. After that no way further. From the view point it is possible to distinguish some roofs of chinese buildings of another new hydroelectrical project very close to the falls. The road to this complex is not accessible. But...
Riding towards Sekong, just few kms after the falls there is a bridge. Soon after the bridge there is a tough trail ridable only 600-700 metres. Further only walkway. Locals told me this is a way to the bottom of the falls. Distance is about 3 to 4 kms. I was not sure to venture so faraway on walk living my bike in the forest. I walk only one km and decided to turn back. I suppose it is possible to reach only chinese buildings and not the falls.

Reactions: DavidFL

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
Very informative report, David. Great pictures.
I have been to Xe katam falls just yesterday. The way down does not exists anymore, however there are still signs indicating the trail. I did it on foot only hundred meters. After that no way further. From the view point it is possible to distinguish some roofs of chinese buildings of another new hydroelectrical project very close to the falls. The road to this complex is not accessible. But...
Riding towards Sekong, just few kms after the falls there is a bridge. Soon after the bridge there is a tough trail ridable only 600-700 metres. Further only walkway. Locals told me this is a way to the bottom of the falls. Distance is about 3 to 4 kms. I was not sure to venture so faraway on walk living my bike in the forest. I walk only one km and decided to turn back. I suppose it is possible to reach only chinese buildings and not the falls.

Not surprised that the trail down doesn't exist anymore after last year's big wet in Laos.
Shame you couldn't get to the bottom of the falls, as that would be quite a sight, but I understand your concern about the bike & gear on the bike.
Thanks for the little update - much appreciated; and glad that GTR has been a help to you.

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
An interesting update for some waterfalls we did not get to:

Attapeu plans to pimp up waterfalls to entice more tourists

(Unusual headline from Vientiane Times)
Attapeu provincial authorities plan to build facilities around the Tad Huakhon and Tad Fead waterfalls, hoping to attract more visitors and generate more income for local residents.
Deputy Director of the province’s Information, Culture and Tourism Department, Ms Bounthong Bouphasavanh, told Vientiane Times there are ambitious plans to build restaurants, resorts, guesthouses, a hotel, shops selling local products, and a park.
PKK Inter Company has been awarded a 30-year concession for the project.

Developments are planned on a 2-hectare site at Tad Huakhon waterfall and a 2-hectare site at Tad Fead waterfall, as well as a 67-hectare site in Meun Huameuang village, Samakkhixay district, at a total cost of around US$2 million.

A Memorandum of Understanding on the project was signed on September 23 between representatives of PKK Inter Company and Attapeu provincial authorities.
The construction of new facilities is aimed at turning the waterfalls into landmark visitor attractions in Attapeu province and providing opportunities for people in the area to boost their incomes.
Since the government reopened the country to foreign tourists in May, the Information, Culture and Tourism Department in Attapeu province has been making decisive plans to revive tourism.
Standards have been upgraded to ensure safety at all tourist destinations, such as restaurants, bars, guesthouses, hotels and other places frequented by visitors.
Provincial authorities have also improved facilities at tourist sites and evaluated businesses to ensure they meet the required standards, issuing Clean and Safety certificates to those that fulfill set criteria.

Attapeu takes pride in its waterfalls, which including Tad Xepha, Tad Samongphak, Tad Xeponglay and Tad Phapong, and Nong Fa Lake, which is famous for its depth and the bright blue colour of the water.
During the first six months of this year, 24,265 tourists were reported to have visited Attapeu province, generating more than 8 billion kip in revenue.

Source: Vientiane Times

Tad Hua Gan
1664183338283.png

Tad Faek Waterfall
1664183445758.png

Tad Ya

Tad Xepha
1664184099120.png

Tad Xae Pong Lai
1664183031339.png

Tad Oat?

See also