Successful Entry into Vietnam!!!

Nov 15, 2007
burnjr wrote: yempaul,
nice story u getting in to vietnam..but must have the guide...
Yes you need the guide at the entry point. Had a long chat with my tour operator about this arrangement and he informed me that the entry point is a must but not when you're in Vietnam itself. The so called "mandatory" is actually made cos tour operators do not want to lose business. SO most of them claimed it's mandatory.

I had a Singaporean group who did this and they left Vietnam whithout any problems.

Cheers

Nov 8, 2010
Mark-Nikki wrote: ...Many said it could not be done on a Harley (being technically illegal in Vietnam)....we instantly gather a crowd of on-lookers that stand around, point and prod at our "humungous machine". The biggest street-legal motorcycle in Vietnam is 175cc, most being 100cc or 125cc...
Great story but this part isn't true. You can buy and ride motorbikes bigger than 175cc in VN but the driving licence is difficult and expensive to get. Bikes bigger than 175cc are also crazily expensive because they are all imported and there is a stupid amount of tax on imported vehicles, which in effect doubles the price of any motorbike: so a $10K bike in the USA would cost at least $20K here. Big bikes in Vietnam are strictly the domain of the very rich. The roads here are totally unsuitable for big bikes anyway, you can't drive fast because the speed limit for bikes is 40km/h and with the road conditions you'd have to be foolish to try drive too much faster (although I have got my Honda up to 140km/h).

Feb 2, 2011
Highly informative thread I must say, mighty thanks to all who have contributed to this. I am planning to ride to vietnam myself with two or three other motorcycles, all Indian registered Royal Enfield Bullets (or Electras) 350 cc Motorcycles. We plan to enter Vietnam via Laos through the border crossing into Dien Bien Phu on a sponsored trip sometime in May 2012. Considering this takes time I suppose I will have to begin inquiries and initiate the process slightly early on.

A query however, the price that mark and nikki have posted (USD4500 for 21 days), is that a fixed rate for all sorts of motorcycles from all countries? any information on this would be of great help, thank you.

I will duly post my progress as and when it is done. Cheers.

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
Mark & Nikki's book is out
http://www.youmeandahd.com/book.html

270639=4911-markbookcover.jpg

The Book About Our Journey
You, Me And A HD is a travelogue and story about a six-month journey covering 20,739 Kilometers in a select group of countries in South East Asia propelled by Razoo. Our journey began in Singapore on 6 July 2009 making our way through Malaysia, Thailand, Laos, Vietnam and Cambodia. The return leg took us back through Thailand and Malaysia a second time where we concluded in Singapore on 9th January 2010.

A motorbike is a great way to see most countries, but our axe, Razoo, is one of the heaviest and most cumbersome Harley Davidsons you could imagine. It's the biggest Harley model of its era. Razoo is great for luggage and the open highway, but hopeless on the dirt, gravel and muddy stuff. Most would have chosen a more practical vehicle, like a semi-off-road Honda Africa Twin or BMW GS-1200. But no, we stayed true to our baby, and in the end, he stayed true to us.

Although a travelogue and memoir, the book contains many strange and funny stories that are sure to amuse any reader. The detail is as true to life as we could recall it. Sorry if we offend anyone in the process, but this is the way we saw things. At the end of each country, we have written a small commentary on a quirky element of the nation, sometimes tongue-in-cheek, others in stark reality, but all with a point.

The final chapters of the book contain some crucial information, if you want to embark on a similar journey of your own. You will find details on the logistics and paperwork necessary to get started, as well as most of the processes involved in crossing borders with your own vehicle. These rules should apply equally to most motorcycles and cars registered outside of the ASEAN region, and to most registered within.

King of Jars

Subscribed
Feb 27, 2008
Nong Khai
shriram.vishnu;266096 wrote: Highly informative thread I must say, mighty thanks to all who have contributed to this. I am planning to ride to vietnam myself with two or three other motorcycles, all Indian registered Royal Enfield Bullets (or Electras) 350 cc Motorcycles. We plan to enter Vietnam via Laos through the border crossing into Dien Bien Phu on a sponsored trip sometime in May 2012. Considering this takes time I suppose I will have to begin inquiries and initiate the process slightly early on.

A query however, the price that mark and nikki have posted (USD4500 for 21 days), is that a fixed rate for all sorts of motorcycles from all countries? any information on this would be of great help, thank you.

I will duly post my progress as and when it is done. Cheers.

The road from Moang Khoa (after having crossed the Ou river) to the border is some 60 kms of previously non-existing road. They are working on that leg now; some five little rivers and creeks need to be crossed and the very last part to Sop Houn was the most gruesome one. You better recheck, if the road construction on 2E (road from Oudomxay via Mouang Khoa to Sop Houn/Lao PDR) - leading into 279 (Vietnamese numbering) is "Harley Davidson" worthy. Some friends of mine did the trip some 18 months ago on cross-country bikes.

Best wishes and keep fingers crossed; shall revert if I have news - Peter

Sep 15, 2012
Border crossing into Vietnam by motorbike

Any bike up to any size cc

Update 30th September 2013: This is the latest legal requirements to enter Vietnam by a border crossing on a motorbike registered outside of Vietnam

.What riders have to organize:

[list type=decimal]
[*]Copy of original & international drivers licence
[/list type=decimal]
[*]Copy of Passport and complete visa.

[*]Photo of the bike

[*]Copy of the registration papers of the bike/ownership papers.

[*]Organized packaged tour through a tour agent with a complete itinerary including a tour guide

What Flamingo travel will organize:

[list type=decimal]
[*]We will send all your details to the military police and Transportation Minister ‘s office to conduct your tour, who will process the application to ensure you are completely legal to drive in Vietnam

[*]We will send a member of our staff 3 days before to the border to prepare the documents for your arrival (This is the legal requirement)
[*]At the border we arrange the required temporary number plates and registration papers for your bikes. Please note when crossing back over the border you will have to give back any number plates and registration documents.
[*]We will organize your packaged tour to meet all the requirements.
[/list type=decimal]

If you have any question you can leave a comment and I’ll do my best to answer you or email me directly: [email protected]
-
FLAMINGO TRAVEL
Head office in Hanoi
Add:# 66 Dao Duy Tu Str, Hanoi , Vietnam
Tel: +84.4 3926 0938 Fax: +84.4 3926 0938
Hand phone: +84.912 214 554
Email: [email protected] Website: www.flamingotravel.com.vn