Sunflower Season

Rhodie

Mar 5, 2006
Sunflower Season

Well they are out now.
SunflowerHillLR.jpg

Sunflower Hill near the Viewpoint marked on MHS Loop Map.

SunflowerPano1LR.jpg

An extraordinary riot of colour - go if you can.
FlowersLR1.jpg

CoupleLR2.jpg

A young couple capturing the moment

CoupleLR1.jpg

AphirakLR1.jpg

I came across noted Chiang Rai artist Aphiruk Panmoonslip, painting away.
Adding colour is not necessary in the fabulous landscape.
He was expecting 50,000THB for this.

AphirakLR2.jpg

Warning These flowers fade fast

SunflowerWiltingLR1.jpg

They are not expected to last beyond the end of this month.
Rains two days ago had the locals worried that they may not even last that long.
If you want to see them this year go as soon as possible.

Various accommodation is available.

SchoolHomstayLR.jpg

This school has been converted into a "home stay" location.

Or A-Frame huts are dotted along the roadside

AFramesLR.jpg

The road north off the 1263 [12kms east of Khun Yam] is a delight.

GTBkgRdLR.jpg

Though the scenery is so spectacular the accident warning signs are permanent!

AccidentSignLR.jpg

Opposite the school is a hot air balloon operation.
Operated by a Dutchman Wouter [based in CM] his 100THB "flights" are between 0730 & 0900 and 1630 onwards.
Wind at other times prevent safe tethered "flights".

BalloonLR.jpg

Note - tho the pix have largely managed to avoid the legion of Toyotas that are migrating here this season, inc white pimp Moby's,
do be careful as the vistas are stunning.
But so is a head-on with a Spacevan.

Mar 15, 2003
www.daveearly.com
Wow, I somehow missed this post when it was put up. Great photos as usual John. What luck meeting up with the artist and an excellent photo composition. We went last year about this time and, as you say, everything was fading quickly. Snooze you lose. Good Job John.

daewoo

Dec 6, 2005
SilverhawkUSA wrote: Great photos as usual John.
Yep Rhodie... makes the rest of us complete amateurs look, well, amateur...

When I get my report up the photos won't be nearly as impressive, although I do have the advantage of Miss Elle's smile to distract the viewer from the poor composition...

Cheers,
Daewoo

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
Originally posted by tropicaljohno
[br]Hi Rhodie, just got back in town after the baloon ride this morning, Doi Inthanon this arvo, at least I dont have to post fotos of the flowers yours are fantastic, will post fotos of us balooning later, rained up there heavily again last nite, and as you said, flowers fading fast
Yeah the weather's been amazing the last couple of days eh? Pouring with rain.
I was due in MHS Wed, but both Joko & Sub-Tropical John kindly sent separate SMS messages warning me of heavy rain.
So I took a chance, reversed direction & headed for Mae Sarieng first. Left Cnx 3.30pm Wed, arrived in Mae Sareing at 6.15pm & NO rain gear necessary.
Joko says heavy rain Pai-Mae Taeng, TJ says pouring on Intnanon, & all I got was a sprinkle before Hang Dong, a wet road between Sanpathong & Chomthong, then a lovely dry thrash to Mae Sarieng.
Only the last 16 kms descent into MS the road was again wet, but NO rain. Talk about a lucky GT Rider. Absolutely perfect weather in MHS now.
The sunflowers at Doi Mae U-Khor might be a bit suspect becuaee of the rsain now, but at Mae Ho 16kms out of Mae Sarieng they were absolutely magnificent when I flashed past yesterday.
You can check them out as a day ride from Cnx even - as it is only 180-190 kms west of Cnx.

Kenny

Nov 29, 2007
Greetings from Singapore.

I must have been lucky to missed the rain. I was up there last Tuesday.

Had the privilege to meet David (Silverhawk) and Ian along the way to Chiangrai.

Northern Thailand is very beautiful indeed. I will post pictures of the blooms when I have my pics up on flickr.

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
Not the sunflowers, but Piya Guesthouse on the same trip (for me.)

225693026-L.jpg

Piya's had a paint job & rebuild, with old rooms at the back now all bungalows - bigger, airier & brighter - both inside & outside.
I reckon that Mr Piya must have had a night on grog & magic mushrooms before deciding on wat the new lairy colours should be.
Piya also says free wifi is next on the menu!