super-simple way to derestrict Kawa 250 single (?)

KZ25

Nov 19, 2011
What would you say the mod does, in your opinion?
Does it let the bike rev all the way in the top gears only?
Or is there a better low/midrange, an overall improvement over the whole rec range?
Maybe a higher fuel consumption b3ecause of more power?
Guess that's too early to say, you have to do a few hun dred miles to get a result...

Aug 29, 2011
KZ25;275192 wrote: What would you say the mod does, in your opinion?
Does it let the bike rev all the way in the top gears only?
Or is there a better low/midrange, an overall improvement over the whole rec range?
Maybe a higher fuel consumption b3ecause of more power?
Guess that's too early to say, you have to do a few hun dred miles to get a result...
There would have to be more fuel consumption even if the clutch trick did not change the fuel MAP, as the bike is able to rev to 10000rpm in the upper gears.

I remember riding with the restricted ECU & I could feel the ignition timing retarding in 4,5 & 6th gears when reving over 7000rpm. I doubt the injection is getting more juice, I think the ignition timing is just how it should be when de-restricted.......i'm dying to try it out but it's high season in Phuket & i'm just to busy with work to play with ECU & clutch :-(

Lakota

Subscribed
Oct 10, 2011
I've done about 600 kms on this mod. no significant increase in fuel consumption noticed. although I do ride like an old woman and only use that extra power and revs occasionally.
I just think the bike is now doing as it was designed before the botch was made to get it though the fuel emmisions test here. if you ride the bike to within an inch of its life then clearly much greater fuel consumption will result along with that familiar smell of burning plastic :)

KZ25

Nov 19, 2011
I'm trying to find out what the mod actually does; one change would be that the rev limiter gets eliminated which would let the engine rev out in the higher gears, another would be that a different map is activated which changes power over the whole rev range.
If you don't feel any difference whatsoever in the first three gears and don't rev over 7,000 in the upper three gears, you may as well put the plug back in.
Since you wrote that you ride like an old woman (what do you think how she got that old?) I assume the above which would mean no different map.

KZ25

Nov 19, 2011
Joelthailand;275193 wrote: ...i'm dying to try it out but it's high season in Phuket & i'm just to busy with work to play with ECU & clutch :-(

Well I may be able to help you out there... :)

Lakota

Subscribed
Oct 10, 2011
KZ25, I just think it runs as it was designed. standard mapping .
it does feel better in all gears although i can't explain it. its unrestricted.

your gonna have to wait for more input I guess from others . really, really don't think we can expect anything else, different mapping !? highly unlikely.

Aug 29, 2011
KZ25;275200 wrote: Well I may be able to help you out there... :)
Hey KZ25, i'm already running the programmable performance API ECU unit, which has slightly advanced ignition timing & 5% more fuel injection than the standard API ECU, which i did myself on my laptop! And my bike goes a lot quicker than any other D-tracker that I have got to ride. There's lot's more to fiddle with on the API but it's to complicated for me to understand fully so injection was an easy place to start, with the instructions crudely translated from Thai to English. One day I will be able to tune it properly!!!

It would just be fun to plug my old ECU in & do the clutch thing & then plug in the programmable ECU & blast the bike round the block for a scientific seat of pants test.. lol.

KZ25

Nov 19, 2011
Lakota;275201 wrote: ...it does feel better in all gears although i can't explain it...

... different mapping !? highly unlikely...

If your bike runs better in all gears up to 7000rpm now it must be the result of a different map! Or ammarong?

Lakota

Subscribed
Oct 10, 2011
I'm not in the lower gears much to be honest , why not try it and see for yourself !? ...... someone mentioned the computer thinks your in neutral similar to the 'snip' mod.
only done a couple of small trips and wasn't really analizing it too much, just having fun. and why would they give us different mapping for free, they just restricted the damn or darn thing to pass emissions test. it was probably a pain for them to fix, and a quick fix was to restrict the revs

hopefully someone will be along soon who's into analyzing this sort of sh&t ;-)

KZ25

Nov 19, 2011
I've got a reply to my email from Svenja, on whose site I first read about this simple way of making the Kawasaki 250 single run better.

She just turned 50 on the 11th and posted a long blog here, in German: http://www.mysvenja.blogspot.com/

She wrote that she rode several thousand km with this modification without any negative indication of any kind.

No overheating of the ECU, the bike revs to redline in any gear, and even at the German Kawasaki dealership she was told that this mod has no negative effects.

She had discovered that if you pull the clutch in neutral while the bike is idling, the idle speed changes, so she got curious, discovered the switch and bridged it.

Now I remember one of the reasons why I left Germany a long time ago - the women are too smart!! :)

Nov 7, 2007
KZ25;275252 wrote:
Now I remember one of the reasons why I left Germany a long time ago - the women are too smart!! :)

Even those who used to be men! Svenja has quite a story to her, she used to be Sven. Sven was married and had a house, a dog, and 5 kids. Quite the character!

Amazing she discovered this simple trick...

Lakota

Subscribed
Oct 10, 2011
I hope I don't discover that simple trick any time soon ! :D

So she actually discovered it herself. Quite a find. Its making much more sense now.

Thanks very much Svenja ;)

Aug 29, 2011
Ok, I had a quiet morning & got the tools out!

Plugged in my old ECU & went for a ride round the block....boring:(
Did the clutch trick & went for another spin & it is a lot better:) but for me it only seems to be ignition timing! My bike was doing a lot more deceleration exhaust popping & running really hot......which makes me think the bike is running way leaner than normal.

Plugged back in my programmable api ecu & phew what a relief:thumbup:. Front wheel is lifting in 1st, less popping & my legs are getting half the heat from the engine....much richer fuel MAP.

BTW my bike has a fmf q4, megabomb header & boss snorkel fitted.....this would make a bike run leaner than stock without re-jetting or in our (EFI) case getting more fuel injection!

Now I know why the competition can't keep up with me on the mountain roads........my D-tracker feels about 10-15% more powerful than the clutch trick & revs way more freely above 9000rpm...yeehaa

I'm NOT going to keep the old ecu or the clutch wire trick on the bike, it's back to the api for me.

275264=7984-api%20vs%20kawa%20ecu.jpg

Aug 29, 2011
Sorry folks, I seemed to have killed this thread stone dead!! Oops....

BTW the clutch switch idea is a great invention, maybe Svenja is wasted riding a motobike & should be working on the space program!! :wink:

KZ25

Nov 19, 2011
Don't worry, I think responses are slow because not many KLX/Tracker owners have read this thread yet.

Of course, if you have a Power Commander which alters the whole fuel program plus snorkels, masks and megabombs, there's no sense in trying this little trick.

But it seems to be a cheap and simple improvement over the stock version.

Sep 17, 2012
KZ25;275436 wrote: Don't worry, I think responses are slow because not many KLX/Tracker owners have read this thread yet.

Of course, if you have a Power Commander which alters the whole fuel program plus snorkels, masks and megabombs, there's no sense in trying this little trick.

But it seems to be a cheap and simple improvement over the stock version.
Guys,
I had repalced my stock exhaust with Full system FMF Q4 with mega bomb header and installed Juice Box for better Fuel Controller, and I am not sure whether this trick will improve my engine performance?, please advise..... and secondly, is there any negative impact to my Jucice Box if I derestrict my bike ? Thank you in advance for your expert reply .

Aug 29, 2011
Lone Rider;282635 wrote: Guys,
I had repalced my stock exhaust with Full system FMF Q4 with mega bomb header and installed Juice Box for better Fuel Controller, and I am not sure whether this trick will improve my engine performance?, please advise..... and secondly, is there any negative impact to my Jucice Box if I derestrict my bike ? Thank you in advance for your expert reply .
Is your bike easily revving to 10000rpm in 4th 5th & 6th gears? If struggling to get over 7500rpm in those gears do the clutch bi-pass.

There is no negative impact on your bike....The DTX is notorious for running lean when tuned & this is harmful, your juice box should help your bike to run more rich. This is good!!
Make sure you are using the 02 sensor eliminator plug supplied with the juice box. It tricks the ECU into running at max richness. The 02 sensor is only there to help with passing the emissions test NOT for performance.

Sep 17, 2012
hi Joe, thank You for your prompt response...
My bike doesn't seems to have problem reaching up to 7.500 but haven't try to go to 10.000 rpm. I will try to test it on this coming weekend and i alo wagnt to check the impact of derestrict for my bike, i hope it will give me another performance improvement. Will update You the result.:)

Sep 17, 2012
Lone Rider;282641 wrote: hi Joe, thank You for your prompt response...
My bike doesn't seems to have problem reaching up to 7.500 but haven't try to go to 10.000 rpm. I will try to test it on this coming weekend and i alo wagnt to check the impact of derestrict for my bike, i hope it will give me another performance improvement. Will update You the result.:)
Joe, with the current setting of my JB, my bike can easily run over 7.5k rpm to 10k until 4 gear with top speed around 129 kpj in 5th gear, and on 6 the speed reach 130-131 kpj. (i guess with standard tyre i can reach higher tops speed) but I found from 1-4 gear the engine quite responsive.

I tried to derestirct too but I found that this mod did not increase the performane , and on the 5 gear the engine response was not improve, and I alos noticed that the deacceleration indicator in my JB (the green and red light were not flashing) only two green light indicatior flashing instead..... and i do not know if i should fine tune the JB setting after derestrict.

Jul 15, 2012
Lone Rider;282837 wrote: Joe, with the current setting of my JB, my bike can easily run over 7.5k rpm to 10k until 4 gear with top speed around 129 kpj in 5th gear, and on 6 the speed reach 130-131 kpj. (i guess with standard tyre i can reach higher tops speed) but I found from 1-4 gear the engine quite responsive.

I tried to derestirct too but I found that this mod did not increase the performane , and on the 5 gear the engine response was not improve, and I alos noticed that the deacceleration indicator in my JB (the green and red light were not flashing) only two green light indicatior flashing instead..... and i do not know if i should fine tune the JB setting after derestrict.
Sorry i am having a hard time following you. In 4,5 and 6 gear what is your max rpm not max speed?

Sep 17, 2012
yankee99;282838 wrote: Sorry i am having a hard time following you. In 4,5 and 6 gear what is your max rpm not max speed?
The Maximum rpm In 4th gear is around 10k, In 5th down to around 9.5k, and 6th gear around 9-9.3, and the response In 5-6 gear were relatively slower.

Feb 20, 2014
JoelThailand I need some help. I have a 2009 klx250 here in Ghana. The ecu is blown and i need a replacement. I looked everywhere and i cant seem to get one. I have read many threads and i see that i would easily get one in Thailand. Aint got nobody there tho to do the round for me. Im thinking u could hook me up with the older one u replaced. Im ready to make a deal. Let me know what u think.