Taking bike to Thailand (transit to China and Russia)

Apr 20, 2009
Hello!
I want to take my Suzuki DL650 to Thailand from Australia for a long ride and then get off to Laos and China then Russia.

What is the legal way to do it? Bike will be brought by sea and will stay it Thailand about a month or two. Is it going to be costly? Is it possible at all?

Any potential customs problems?

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
AlexKrKr wrote: Hello!
I want to take my Suzuki DL650 to Thailand from Australia for a long ride and then get off to Laos and China then Russia.

What is the legal way to do it? Bike will be brought by sea and will stay it Thailand about a month or two. Is it going to be costly? Is it possible at all?

Any potential customs problems?
Suggest you take a look here first
https://www.gt-rider.com/thailand-laos-c ... sings.html

Apr 20, 2009
Thanks..
As for China - I have read that one Russian traveller crossed Mongolia - China border but had to pack the bake in a truck as they refused entry on two wheels.

But it was quite remote crossing afaik

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
AlexKrKr wrote: Thanks..
As for China - I have read that one Russian traveller crossed Mongolia - China border but had to pack the bake in a truck as they refused entry on two wheels.

But it was quite remote crossing afaik
Yeah some guys seem to be able to sneek into China from the other Russian / 'Stan side, but from Laos you're limited to Boten - Boten - Boten - Boten = no way unless you pay for the "full package."

ray23

Oct 14, 2005
That was great David anwered a lot of my questions about riding into Malayasia. I knew I need an english tranlstion of the Bike book but had no idea what it was called.

It would seem the only way your going to ride China is if you can find a travel company that can put everything together for you and meet you as as guide at the border

Hope to ride Malayasi next season we will see. :roll:

Book marked that and will spend som time on that

Jul 6, 2004
Hi ALEXkrkr,
I have done the Oz, Singapore/Malaysia to Thailand twice now.
1st time in 2004, I shipped my bike by container from Darwin to Singapore. The place is a pain in the arse for paperwork etc. I had a Carnet, which saves a lot of hassle getting into Singapore and Malaysia.
It even worked in Thailand...then.
Fast track to 2008, sent the same bike in a box to KL, Malaysia via ship.
The bike was a week late arriving, so I missed riding to the MotoGP.
Then I got to the Thai border, the Carnet is not void in Thailand anymore, I guess I was lucky before. The customs give me 30days then I needed to do a border run. However I had a 90 day multiple entry on my visa. Note: Thai customs will not attach your bike to your personal visa.
Now my bike is in Thailand illegally, I will get fined one I leave again.
As far as China goes, read HU as David suggests, very difficult.
Cheers
Tom

Jul 6, 2004
Thanks Col,
I have been using Sadao,
I have the other complication of an Aussie registered bike, what do you reckon?
Tom

HIKO

Nov 7, 2005
HI,

I,ve crossed that border more than 10 times and never had any problems. The bikes have had Khmer plates, Finland plate, Export plates and Thai plates. When you come with Thai plates and want to take a compulsory Malaysian Insurance they will not issue it if it doesn't have on official English translation but on the other hand they will let you through because nobody asks for the insurance.

But when you come from Australia to Thailand with Aussie plates you better fill up the T2 Temporary import form, even if the Thai immigration normally never ask for. That is because when you leave Thailand without having the T2 form some other Thai Borders can make big problems if you don't have it.There is also some police districts now in Thailand who tell you to show the T2 when they stop you,

HIKO

Jul 6, 2004
Thanks guys,
Don't you love the GT Rider site, all you got to do is ask!
Travelling by bike in Asia is full of suprises, there is no subsitute for experience.
Cheers
Tom