Thai Dealer - KTM Press Release

Oct 17, 2006
I would never buy a modern BMW as they may be functional but I dont like the dynamics and they are ugly , also I have seen so many quality issues with the newer models unlike the BMWs i loved in the 70s and 80s.

but a KTM DUKE would get my vote at the right price ,KTMs are quality products for sure.I hade a 640 in UK

gobs

Feb 8, 2007
Monsterman wrote: "I have seen so many quality issues with the newer (BMW) models"
I agree with you... But like good wines, the trick is to wait 3 or 4 years after the first releases to buy a brand new BMW 8) Usually it is the delay BMW needs to "correct" its "mistakes"...

And as far as I know (see Craypot notes above and elsewhere on the Internet) KTM is not exempt of these "first sales failures"... So maybe better to wait 3 or 4 years too... :wink:

About dynamics and "ugglyness", all tastes are in nature! For my part I do appreciate KTM dynamics and design, but I know bikers who can't even imagine to only seat on a KTM as they hate the design so much...

Apart this, I just have a doubt... If a new KTM owner is settled in, let's say, Chiang Rai or Puket, what about the bike servicing and guaranty? Must go back to Bangkok for that or is there some "relays" here and there in Thailand?..
:roll:

Snail

Subscribed
Nov 2, 2005
Cnx
If you're in any doubt, click the link below:

http://www.ktm950.info/how/wotf/wotf.html

backdoorphil wrote:
you're clueless

Snail wrote:

The 950's are way too big and while they might have more prestige being bigger and better the 690 would be more suitable for LOS.
I may be 'clueless' as you claim but at least I understand English which you obviosly don't.

My point was the 690 would be suitable for the local market since most Thai people are somewhat smaller and (very often) way less experienced riders.

No doubt 990's will sell to those with ego's as big as the bike even if they can't ride, or understand Engislh :lol: :lol: :lol:

Snail

Subscribed
Nov 2, 2005
Cnx
DO YOU UNDERSTAND ENGLISH OR DO I NEED TO TYPE R E A L L Y S L O W L Y so you get the meaning ?? :lol:

Feb 23, 2003
First off, Craypot it is a bit cruel of you posting pictures of your lovely 690, something not yet available to us poor souls here in LOS.....
I have owned a BMW 1150GS Adventure, as well as a KTM 950 Adventure at the same time. I did nearly all the maintenance work on both bikes myself, including rebuilding both bikes back from major crashes. ( Except for that tricky valve adjustment Snail did on the KTM ). Overall I found the KTM to be more user friendly, and overall better engineered. In four years of beating it around Asia, it never failed to make forward progress unless the tires were flat or it had a tank of bad gas......
I do not want to piss off the BMW guys, but I had many problems with service on my BMW. The dealer network here is simply a joke. There were design flaws in the bike with parts failing. Guess that was my foolishness of buying a first year model. The bike was simply too complex to be worked on by Thai mechanics that had been trained in Germany for a few weeks. After I swore to myself I would never buy a BMW again.
To me the KTM would be far more suitable for the Thai market, as it is much simpler, and more rugged. I test rode the 690 SM at the dealer in Penang, and thought it was the best bike I had ever ridden. Light as a feather, and the front end was coming up on each gear shift...
So if we are casting votes, put me down for a 690 Enduro or better yet the Adventure model if it ever comes out !!!!
To me pricing is a bit of an issue. Because basically BMW was here first, they have a bit of a sweetheart deal on the import tax enabling them to sell their bikes at a price not that much higher than in the west. My friend Peter has a Yamaha R1 he brought over here from America. He said the price that Yamaha here sells the same bike for is almost exactly twice as much. I am not exactly a cheapskate, but it does seem a bit painful to pay twice as much for the privilege of riding a big bike here in Thailand........

Oct 17, 2006
unfortunately BMW do have issues with quality, usually electronics ,and cost cutting issues with stainless steel parts that go rusty, have a careful look at new exhaust systems in BMW showrooms and you may be suprised .On a recent ride out to Chantaburi with 16 bikes of which 11 were HD ,one Ducati and 4 BMWs 2 of the new BMWs broke down with electrical faliures and had to be trucked to a dealer as the faults were not fixable roadside.and one HD ran out of fuels even though he had a massive tank.....idiot!

Jun 21, 2006
doesnt matter what ktm bring in, they are all crap.
however, if the opportunity arises i wouldnt be disinterested in a 450 of some variation, or a 690, or a 250 enduro bike.

The only bike worth owning in north thailand at the moment is a DRZ400.

don't let the size of your balls rule your head people.
the 990 should be avoided like the plague!

p.s snail you are clueless! you left thailand!

Dec 22, 2009
Why spend 1 million odd baht for a BMW or KTM when you can buy a grey imported Honda Africa Twin for 140k and add a plate for 40k and if you still feel you are missing something "paint the damn thing orange"
for the change left over you could have a different motorcycle for all 4 seasons.

Rhodie

Mar 5, 2006
You know, you just might be on to something.

There's one A/T rider who has been round the clock a few times,
so is now showing remarkably few kms.
Maybe for sale.... :roll:

Another gave up his KTM 950 ADV, just so he could ride his Africa Twin more... :D

However, nun have let their teelaks ride them :!:

KZ

Aug 20, 2003
I've had some used Beemers in the US and would buy non-japanese bikes in Europe or the States, but only after long consideration if there isn't a better jap product or an equal one for way less money (and prestige) available.
But frankly I wouldn't buy a non-japanese bike in Thailand since they are expensive already and the service for european or american bikes is not there. And their prices are even more "unrealistic".
Give me some more jap bikes to choose from, especially in the 250 to 600cc range, and I wouldn't even consider anything else.
I've had a ZX9R, 750 and 1000cc Beemers, a 1400 Intruder and lots of other nice rides which would a bit out of place here, kind of "overkill". I've learned to keep the ball low here in the Land of Smiles, not to attract too much attention by showing what I've got. Especially these days.
And I'm quite happy with my little VTR250! Sometimes less is more.

Feb 23, 2003
I agree that if KTM brings bikes into Thailand, that the 990 is simply overkill for this county. The bike was purpose built for one thing only, to win the Dakar race. Which it did. Meaning its design criteria was to go over 100 MPH down a rough dirt road, which it does very very well. However that condition rarely exists here in Thailand. For me the perfect bike would be a water cooled 450 CC bike, with long service intervals. As near as I can tell the KTM offerings in this range are in essence race bikes.
Snail clueless ?? Not really sure, as each time I rode with him he disappears after the first turn.......

Aug 31, 2005
rhiekel wrote: First off, Craypot it is a bit cruel of you posting pictures of your lovely 690, something not yet available to us poor souls here in LOS.....
This isn't my bike but I couldn't help but post this pic of a another 690 from my ride this weekend.
772800629_Qu8fX-X3.jpg

pee

Mar 10, 2006
Rhiekel wrote: "the 990 is simply overkill for this county. The bike was purpose built for one thing only, to win the Dakar race. Which it did. Meaning its design criteria was to go over 100 MPH down a rough dirt road, which it does very very well. However that condition rarely exists here in Thailand."

That's exactly the point.Thanks for coming up with down to earth, irrefutable facts
Moreover I personally don't ride through north Thailand and Lao to race but to enjoy the best of these wonderful countries. Over 100 MPH is not on the agenda. It would be rude.

"The only bike worth owning in North Thailand at the moment is a DRZ400" says Dirthonk -especially for South European and Thai morphology.
At the moment I own one S model and one SM. Very happy with both of them so I can wait. However DRZ got their shortcoming:
-fuel range
-a bit more power would be nice on the tarmac
-lack of torque at low rpm
-longer service intervals a must

I may be dreaming but if KTM can deliver a bike that address these issues with the same weight I would be ready to pay a bit more than a DRZ price tag.
I believe the 690 range fit the description. Let's see what price tag Khun Yut can come up with.
(Judging by the number of "views" about this thread, he is certainly on something)

KZ

Aug 20, 2003
I'm not up to date on the entire KTM range, as far as I know the 250s are two-strokes. What's the smallest four-stroke Enduro/Supermoto? The 690? How many cc does it have exactly?
I'd be interested in a 250 Supermoto, but not like the D-Tracker which has not enough power and needs to be sorted out before it runs right (stalling problems, rev limiter in high gears). Then again it would probably cost close to 300,000 THB, for that money you'd get a 650 Kawa twin with ABS and fairing...

bill

Mar 29, 2004
Thinking ahead but...

Once the price and model availability is known, could a GT-Rider group order make economic sense ?

Jun 21, 2006
KZ, im pretty sure KTM have both 250 and 450 4 stroke enduro models.
however they will probably never make it legally to these shores..

Oct 17, 2006
Rich Thais will demand the most ''over the top Overkill ''bikes and be happy to pay so Its a no brainer that the 990,950, models will be here first.But the thumpers are all great bikes with correct servicing ..real quality kit i hope they come too.

Feb 23, 2003
Think Monsterman is right. So we can now look forward to the offspring of hi-so Thais doing wheelies on their 990 and LC8 bikes down Sukumvit Road. :D

Mar 11, 2008
Well this guy thats handling KTM may be the best guy in the world, but he has that same inability to reply to or even acknowledge any emails sent to him.

Sep 22, 2008
livin. Its not the same guy from Phuket. I think they are going to have a stand at the BKK bike fest this weeken at Centralworld. It was on Mocyc.com.

Rhodie

Mar 5, 2006
EVidently they have been busy getting the bikes in the country and getting set up for the show.
For someone who has lived here for some years [LoS] you may understand that things are not always done in a linear fashion
- but always at the last minute.

Not defending him, just saying it how it is.
Tho I will say this about K Yut, he's about the only Thai in the bike biz who does respond to emails [tho not always].
If you need to have a question answered, give him a call.
Probably best to wait untill after the show on Monday.

Their focus has been to get the show together and then concentrate on ordering models, building the showroom on Petchaburi Rd.
The homologation hurdle is going to be interesting, as they have to now meet Euro 3 std.

It was clear from a number of GTRs who visited the stand, that they are laegely concentrating on the Thai market.- and the high prices reflect that.
Farang walking around the bikes were largely ignored as the Thai big-hitters were pondering over which trophy to bag,
and therefore got all the attention from the KTM staff.

Oct 17, 2006
Did i not say so, HISO rich Thais are the prefered target market with the biggest meanest Flashiest motors at mega prices....no suprise really.