Thailand Border Crossing From Cambodia On A Vn Bike...

Charles77

Mar 11, 2019
Can I cross Hat Lek or a similar crossing from CAM into TH, on a Vietnamese-bought scooter, with the card and plate from Vietnam? I know that I can't do this on any of my Cambodian bikes, so I am heading to VN next week to buy a 150 scooter. Thoughts on the best crossing with the least headache. TIA!

Dodraugen

Subscribed
Aug 19, 2012
Lampang
You never know before you have tried....
I think the general consensus is that getting a vietnam plated bike into Thailand is very very difficult.
Maybe someone else know a bit more.

Jimenator

Ol'Timer
Jul 5, 2016
Thailand
Vietnam is not a neighboring country of Thailand. Why wouldn't you be able to enter Thailand on one of your Cambodian bikes?

You won't get in on a Vietnamese one and I don't see why Thailand should allow Viet plates in anyway when Vietnam requires Thai plates to go on a tour. Besides, since 2016 the law says you need a tour. Cambodian plates are OK because it's a neighboring country.

So I would advise against buying a Viet plated scooter for the purposes of touring Thailand - buy one in Thailand instead or use your Cambo plated one.

Jimenator

Ol'Timer
Jul 5, 2016
Thailand
Another issue is that you would need to be the owner of the bike. I understand it's quite difficult for foreigners to purchase bikes in Vietnam and register them in their own name?