The idiots abroad - AKA The escape songkran tour.

Jul 28, 2007
Wow, Thanks for that report and pics. I just read the entire report and it makes me want to go see the rest of Vietnam. I did the northern loop in Oct 2009 and it's way different than what you guys did.
Bia Hoi is readily available in the north and the different ethnic tribes are colorful and make for great photos. The scenery in Ha Giang is spectacular.
Thanks again for taking the time to post this.

burnjr

Dec 28, 2005
thanks for sharing the ride report hv nice ride especially in northern vietnam..people still in village thinking.

:happy3:

Jan 9, 2011
It was a great tour and very meaningful trip report.
I am local here but has not been done a full trip by bike as you guys.
I done twice but all by my car with my family. The feeling must be much different from riding with the wind...
Expected I can ride along Vietnam one day...

Jun 14, 2009
Fantastic pics and report guys-THANKS!

I remember those Bia Hois, really fun and was made to feel welcome by the locals.

Again, thanks for sharing :)

mickba

Jan 19, 2009
I just found this thread.
Congrats on making the trip and a great TR.

Two of us did a similar trip last year, but the other way round (N-S). We figured that improving weather and Western facilities as we went South was the best option for us old codgers.
We also had a different bike strategy.
We knew we didn't plan to go far off the tarmac (well we hoped not anyway) we quickly decided that we didn't want Minsks and the hiring option looked problematic.
We flew into Hanoi on Valentine's Day aka Chinese New Year = first mistake.
We eventually bought scoots there (re-manufactured Chinese Yamaha copies) for $300-400 and set off for Halong Bay and then South all the way down to HCMC (except I went solo from Nah Trang). We sold the bikes down there and, them being Chinese and us being lazy and in a hurry to sell, we dropped about $200 apiece. There were no mechanical problems or costs apart from fuel and an oil change, so I don't think $200 was bad for a 5 week holiday covering about 2000 km.

Thanks again for a good read and reminisce. I just wish I was there for this Songkran 2011.
I've got a new D-Tracker here now (no Green Book yet), so I'm thinking of heading for Ubon and then across maybe as far as Chiang Mai - but only maybe. I just don't like Pattaya Songkran.

If anyone wants to look at the trip the other way up, my TR is here:-
http://www.pattaya-addicts.com/forum/topic/51276-vietnam-ha-noi-hcmcsaigon-by-motor-bike/
I hope that's not against the Forum Rules here. Registration may be required.