There are no stupid people, just stupid questions.

daewoo

Dec 6, 2005
"I have a dream..."

A few mates and I are planning a trip. The current plan is a couple for days in BKK (be rude not to), then CM to hire bikes for a bit of bloke adventuring... maybe a week or two...

After CM we will them meet up with our farrang wives in Phuket or somewhere similarly touristy, to laze on the beach and tell tall stories of how well behaved we were on our own...

The stupid questions is... is there anywhere in Thailand that would hire a bike in one place (such as CM) and let you return it at another (such as Phuket)??? like a one way rental...

I just think it would be cool to ride from CM to Phuket (Koh Samui would be a bit more difficult), rather than have to travel with all the other cattle on a plane via BKK, and cheaper than a plane ticket as well...

I also like the idea of seeing how the country changes as you pass from province to province...

Any ideas or suggestions appreciated, please mark your reply: Attention Stupid...

Cheers,
Daewoo

Jul 14, 2004
Hi
Have done the same thing as you dream twice and are booked again for june 06, The ridings great, its good value, the weather is warm and best of all no speeding tickets or hassles with the law like when riding in NZ.
My understanding is the riding in the North is far better than south of cm and it is good. I would personally spend my hoilday riding the roads around the north than riding long stints on boring highways.I do not know of any company you can hire bikes and return in another place , someone resently asked the same question on this board with no joyfull response.
My personal recommendation to make the most of your time, 3 nights bangkok on arrival , Thai air gets into Bangkok around 11pm from Aussie so thats the first night, Take in a day tour somewhere in Bnk, fly to Cm from Bnk spend at least 7-10 days riding around the north following davids book and maps if you have not done it before then return bikes and fly 1400 odd km to puket or ko sumai (1-2 hrs direct on Bangkok airways)and hire more bikes or just chill out on the beach ( I tried just chilling out but it was to boring). fly back to bangkok (also Bangkok airways)after R&R with connecting flight to Aussie, did this earlier in the year flying from NZ and going though Sydney and returning though Brisbane to NZ all up including internal flight in Thailand and an internal flight in NZ, hotel in bangkok with breakfast $1500nzd inc taxes etc. cheap as chips for the hoilday you get.
Take own helmet, gloves and boots.
Hope things work out
Nick

Nov 14, 2004
Hey Wooster, Bugger rid,n claped out bikes from Cm to Pookers, you,d have a severe case of monkey bum, an you,d do Rudolf out of a gig. Look on the net at Air Asia .com for cheap tickets, we've done it a few times, Its only a hr flite, beats the vindaloo out of 12 train to Bkk, do the may hong son loop, its a ball tearer, stay in Pai for the nite, catch up with Dave FL, he drinks Morris Red in a cask, one per rider, he'll give you the 911 on wots hot an wots not. When are you going, don't forget to go to the Chatachuck mrkets in BKK, theres some top shit there, bye for now....Scott..
Your eather on the brakes or on the gas ...theres noth'n in beetween..

daewoo

Dec 6, 2005
Gents, (I use that term loosely)[:D]

Thanks for the replies...

I have spent a bit of time in the land of smiles, but have never managed to get up north... I had stumbled across the GT-rider forum a while back while researching my ill-fated mountain bike ride through Cambodia... Immediately on my return, actually while still drinking in BKK last month, I started thinking about another adventure that would both be easier on my aging body (over 30 now [:(] ), and one that would allow some mates to join me... (I couldn't find anyone else stupid enough to attempt 1000km on a bicycle through Cambodia)...

This trip will be an introduction to motorcycling for me, with a view to returning again for a moto based trip into Cambodia, and an introduction to Asia for my mates who know about riding motorbikes... If it goes ahead, at the moment we are aiming for next October (to get in ahead of high season prices in Phuket)...

The reason I wanted to ride to Phuket is because the thought of the journey interests me... Also I rode a Mountain bike down the gulf from Hua Hin to Surat Thani and think that the people, roads and scenery in that area were great... Don't discount the South away from Highway 4 for a nice ride, it was good on a mountain bike...

I have ridden Honda Waves for a few days in both Phuket (around the whole Island and across the bridge) and in Pattaya, (I think I may have just made myself out to be either a sex tourist or someone who actually knows nothing about Thailand), so I know about how to ride in Thailand... I just don't have much experience on proper motos... I was intending to get a moto licence in Aus and do some miles before I came over, and then make a real adventure of it by riding from North to South (about 1500kms ???).... If it is not possible then flying in the air rather than on two wheels is the next best...

What is the story with hire bikes and border crossings??? I guess that there would only be very few if any bike shops that would rent you a bike knowing that you intended to take in into Laos or Cambodia... Therefore you would be left with the buyback option if you can organise one for a short period (less than a month)...

Still researching, still dreaming, still scheming...
Daewoo
www.darryleaston.crazyguyonabike.com

Jul 14, 2004
Oh your a peddler did not understand. you,d have a severe case of monkey bum aready then so a clapped out scotter down the highway would be no prob, Probably be a lot of fun compaired to push biking around in the heat. Most hire bikes in north have no plates and cannot be taken across boarders so a buy back may be the best option.
Good luck with your trip.
Nick