Thoed Thai Khun Sa

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
Just in from a night in Thoed Thai checking up on John / Rim Taan / The old Khun Sa Camp-Museum....

and it was c-o-o-l, but absolutely superb weather.

If you don't know about Thoed Thai & Khun Sa, go here
https://www.gt-rider.com/thailand-motorc ... t3096.html
and
http://www.doi-mae-salong.com/thoed-tha ... um-warlord

The entrance to Thoed Thai
thoedthai_20.jpg

Thoed Thai is one of my favourite places in North Thailand. If you like Doi Mae Salong at all, then check out Thoed Thai as it is what Doi Mae Salong was like 10+ years ago.
The Rim Taan guesthouse is a beauty, literally right on the banks of the lovely Mae Kham river.
thoedthai_24.jpg

thoedthai_50.jpg

thoedthai_49.jpg

thoedthai_21.jpg

thoedthai_22.jpg

thoedthai_48.jpg

Thoed Thai early morning from Wat Kha Kham
thoedthai_016.jpg

Wat Kha Kham
thoedthai_19.jpg

thoedthai_18.jpg

(hard to believe I was up eh lads? But indeed I was up at the crack of dawn & snapping away in the early morning market)

The sun’s up
thoedthai_55.jpg

thoedthai_56.jpg

thoedthai_57.jpg

thoedthai_58.jpg

thoedthai_59.jpg

thoedthai_60.jpg

thoedthai_61.jpg

thoedthai_62.jpg

thoedthai_64.jpg

Don’t mess with me brother!
thoedthai_65.jpg

thoedthai_68.jpg

thoedthai_69.jpg

Geckos for breakfast?
thoedthai_70.jpg

A breakfast snack in the morning at the market
thoedthai_44.jpg

A real GT Rider brekky back at the Rim Taan
thoedthai_47.jpg

more to come, but I reckon the image size should be reduced..

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2008
Fantastic David. Looks like another one for the itinerary in June. I'll work on a decent three or four day loop.

Also had the opportunity to check out Rhodies previous report and those attached to the thread, what a wonderful history.

T

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
An Akha knife customer in the early morning market

thoedthai_54.jpg

A food vendor
thoedthai_63.jpg

At night time in Thoed Thai you can also join in the local Chinese language classes with the kids
thoedthai_37.jpg

And the kids don't mind the farang visitors
thoedthai_38.jpg

thoedthai_39.jpg

thoedthai_40.jpg

And if this is a bit timid, then you can always hit the Soom Hua "Pub & Restaurant," which as "GT Rider luck" would have it had its grand opening the night I was there with my brother.
thoedthai_41.jpg

The Soom Hua is run by the local nurses / medical staff from the Thoed Thai hospital, & there's no doubt they know how to party & enjoy the good life in Thoed Thai.
thoedthai_42.jpg

thoedthai_43.jpg

If this is not your cup of tea, then there's the Thoed Thai mosque to visit
thoedthai_46.jpg

We also caught the local school band practising their tunes & synchronized movements.
thoedthai_78.jpg

thoedthai_73.jpg

thoedthai_75.jpg

thoedthai_77.jpg

Last but not least "The Big Bronze Buddha"
thoedthai_95.jpg

Phra Song Chai Rattana Palang Paen Din.

thoedthai_96.jpg

is definitely worth a look. And I don't doubt there's a good story on how the Buddha image got there....

The small park - garden there is interesting
thoedthai_93.jpg

thoedthai_94.jpg

from which there are splendid views of Thoed Thai.
thoedthai_83.jpg

The main viharn
thoedthai_90.jpg

there are also numerous smaller ones on the perimeter of the site housing various beautiful images
thoedthai_84.jpg

A lot of work has been done in the last few months. Compare the image above to the one below
thoedthai-012.jpg

thoedthai_85.jpg

thoedthai_86.jpg

thoedthai_88.jpg

thoedthai_89.jpg

thoedthai_92.jpg

Yes sir, apart from Khun Sa's old camp-headquarters you can put Thoed Thai on your list of must see & do places in North Thailand. Check it out soon - you can't claim to be a real Golden Triangle rider until you've done Thoed Thai & Khun Sa's camp.

Khun Sa was the one who gave the GT it's name & reputation. He's now dead & gone, but his camp & old base is still there for all to see. The museum display has been greatly improved with more photographic displays of Khun Sa, his life & that of the Shan states in Burma. It is all well worth researching to understand the Golden Triangle history. Start here
Khun Sa – Opium Warlord
if you like.

Last edited:

Jurgen

Subscribed
Oct 23, 2009
www.chopard.org
Ah ha! Very nice. Just found it now that I am back. Have also some pictures in the box but it will take time, as always. I liked the loop and of course the Rim Taan :)

helbob

Nov 9, 2007
I think i took this picture on the way to Thoed Thai. Does anybody know what is it, a temple?

P1030581a.jpg

Jurgen

Subscribed
Oct 23, 2009
www.chopard.org
Yes, It is just at the entrance of the village, I have also noticed it last week. I think that it is the hill with the catholic church, but I only went to the next hill, with the Buddhist temple :( ! I am sure David_fl knows in detail.

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
Jurgen wrote: Yes, It is just at the entrance of the village, I have also noticed it last week. I think that it is the hill with the catholic church, but I only went to the next hill, with the Buddhist temple :( ! I am sure David_fl knows in detail.
He's working on it & he'll have an answer after Shan New Year. :)

Jurgen

Subscribed
Oct 23, 2009
www.chopard.org
Davidfl wrote: J

Geckos for breakfast?
thoedthai_70.jpg

A real GT Rider brekky back at the Rim Taan
thoedthai_47.jpg

more to come, but I reckon the image size should be reduced..
Watching the report again from Laos, during a lazy "Manychan" afternoon. I am envious that you can upload your stories so fast. Mine will take another six month (it is in waiting list).

I am sorry that I missed the geckos, but at least I got the GTR breakfat at Rim Taan!

Last edited by a moderator: