Thread about that new iphone 4s-case?

Apr 27, 2010
Hi all,

I swear i read about a case for iphone 4/s on the forum a while ago.
It sounded like a clever mid-way solution for getting a bike-cam without having to buy one, but i can't for my life find the thread again.
Searching for variations of "iphone" comes up empty...?

Any help is much appreciated..

Nov 7, 2007
Cool. Has a port for a charge cable too which is pretty much a necessity. If you're shooting video and/or tracking location, you'll run out of power in no time.

Does anyone know of a decent GPS app for iPhone? I bought 2, both are horrible - they're both kind of simulating how normal GPS devices work, which is awkward to say the least. I want a GPS app that works just like Google maps only that it also works offline.

Dec 27, 2007
Yeah... weird, I can't find the original thread either... It was a different product that was being discussed in that thread. That thread was about a super durable case for the iPhone and some video editing apps.

Personally I'm very happy with the RAM Mount iPhone cradle I've been using, and I shot a little video too, just to test it out. Sound is terrible, but I thought the video quality wasn't too bad:

As far as GPS apps for the iPhone, my two favorites are Harry's Laptimer Pro: http://gps-laptimer.de/Home.html

Harry's Laptimer Pro is an incredibly sophisticated app that offers advanced data recording and is an ideal companion for amateur racing. Utilizing GPS, LapTimer will automatically start and stop your laps and sector times. With laps stored in a database, you can track your progress while improving your lap times corner by corner. Using your existing iPhone, LapTimer is an extremely inexpensive option compared to aftermarket standalone GPS laptimers.

MotionX GPS Pro: http://news.motionx.com/category/motionx-gps/
Too many features to list- try the free "lite" version and you'll quickly realize what a powerful and well designed app this is! It can do everything a Garmin or TomTom GPS can do, and a lot more!

Nov 21, 2010
I tried Motion X lite and for some reason I did forget I did not like it. I am using Easy Trails, which I think has also a free "lite" version. I think both apps do almost the same. Once & while still using Google Maps also, but when you really need it of course there is no internet connection for downloading the map-data.

I still find Garmin or TomTom too expensive, as I would not use navigation but just the map.

As of mounting systems ..... as said I killed a HTC Touch HD by using it in the open cradle like Tony is using for its Iphone, but I love the RAM-mount system (I use it in the car also). I wished there would be a more robust/dust-protecting/shock-damping case that could be connected to the RAM-mount. I did see other cases but then the mounting really sucks. So now I just put the phone in my tank-bag (being charged). I tried also putting the phone in the map-viewer of the tank-bag but hell that gets hot there!
And you know what .... I am not looking to any app on my phone while riding.

Chang Noi

Apr 27, 2010
nikster;277240 wrote: Does anyone know of a decent GPS app for iPhone? I bought 2, both are horrible - they're both kind of simulating how normal GPS devices work, which is awkward to say the least. I want a GPS app that works just like Google maps only that it also works offline.
I've had TomTom for awhile now, and although i haven't used it turn-by-turn much i quite like it. The drive-view looks like any gps i suppose, with 2D and 3D maps, and the rest of the layout is set up more like any app. I find it very easy to use, and for the times i got lost it sorted me out without any problems. Pricey but solid imo.

Mar 30, 2010
My favourite is the MotionX App.. Really great and every update more features.

Saw some iPhone and Samsung mounts over at Fortune town last weekend in the GPS shop there.. Didn't really look hard as not really keen on using my iPhone this way..

Cheers
Brian