Thumperride 16.10.

Franz

Jun 28, 2007
Talked to some members already several times, want to do a Thumper ride for one day, so here's my proposal:

Participants: only thumpers (single cylinder bikes)
(such as D-Tracker, KLX, Baja, AX1, Djebel, XR, DRZ, DR, WR, YZF, F650-single, SR, SRX and the like from 250 to 650 cc)
Date: Saturday 16th of October 2010
Meet at: 07:30 at the UN-Irish Pub for brekkie
Leave at: 08:30
Route:

Chiang Mai – Chiang Dao – Arunothai
Routes 107 – 1178. Distance approx 112kms.

Arunothai – Doi Ang Khang – Fang
Routes 1340 – 1249 – 107. Distance approx 82.5 kms.

Fang – Mae Suai
Route 109. Distance approx 67.5 kms.

Mae Suai – Wiang Pa Pao – Phrao
Routes 118 – 1150. Distance approx 91.2 kms.

Phrao – Chiang Mai
Route 1001. Distance approx 82 kms.

Options

Should the weather not be good somewhere
From Fang skip 109 & take 1346 back to Phrao
From Wiang Pa Pao head straight down 118 to Cnx & skip R1150
If it is good & guys want more, from Phrao take 1150 across to 107 & then back to Cnx.

The whole loop should be around 435 kms, so nothing our butts should be worried about...... :mrgreen:
Why 250 cc up ?? Simple, 250's can easily keep up an average on straights of 110 to 120........Wave's and Phantoms cannot.......
I know that's a lot of stops but considering the range of the thumpers, we will need to fill up anyway......

So who's in ???? Cheers, Franz

Mar 15, 2003
www.daveearly.com
You're joking right? You are talking about doing the same amount of distance as doing the Mae Hong Son loop in one day. My 250 will not "average 110-120" along with what will probably be almost two hours worth of coffee, fuel and lunch stops. If you average 55-60 you will being doing good, and that makes it at least 10 hours. I wouldn't count on the final stop at the X-Centre as they will probably be closed long before you get there. :crazy: :lol:

Franz

Jun 28, 2007
Dave, sorry not 550, that's from my home but should be close to 510 or 520 kms.
With average 110-120kmh I meant of course on long straights and not in the twisties. It's just 4 months since I've done that with a friend, he was on a Ninja650 and me on the FJR, took us not more than 6 hours including the same stops. I think it will take us between 7 and 7.5 hours to do the loop and that would mean in time for Ian's goodies..... :mrgreen: . Cheers, Franz

Ally

Dec 13, 2007
Hi Franz

Thanks for pushing on the groups thing, the gt riders meal tonight was delicious.

Count me in for the ride, see you on 16 Oct @ Ratchawithi Rd @ 08:00+

Ally

Franz

Jun 28, 2007
Many thanks Ally, organising the dinner was a pleasure, I think that's also what the ladies of our esteemed bikerfriends like, some thai dishes :D . BTW Took really looked beautiful in this dress !!!! :thumbup: :clap:
Welcome also to the Thumperride, as of now you on the D-Tracker, Art on his D-Tracker, Eric (Pee) on his DRZ400, Nikster on my SRX and myself DR are a sure go, still need to work on Dave to get him go with us :mrgreen: :mrgreen: , hey Mr. Silverhawk, you read this 555555 ? David might also join if he makes it back in time from Laos. Cheers, Franz

Mar 15, 2003
www.daveearly.com
It appears there are more "Iron Butt" thumper riders out there than I expected (I thought that was more polite than "hard @sses). :lol: You (well actually Art) talked me into it. I will try my best to be there, but sorry Art, not on the 250. :crazy:

From the Super Highway and the 118 I figure it at just under 500km, as Franz said, allowing for a couple deviations. If I can make a suggestion; from Chai Prakhan and the 107 take the 1346 to the 1150 instead of continuing on the 107 to the 1150. It is beautiful scenery and quite twisty.

Here is the way I believe you have it planned Franz................correct me if I am wrong.

Thumper1.jpg

If anyone wants this .gbd file with the route, send me your email address and I will send it to you.

pee

Mar 10, 2006
Thanks for organizing this Khun Franz...
I 'll stick to my words and will come but my thumper whispers in my ear: "I don't like some of these big roads and all these kilometers in one day..."
Although the "1346 to the 1150 instead of continuing on the 107 to the 1150" as suggested by Dave is an improvement on the road quality, it doesn't lessen the kilometers.

Another option to cut short would be to take a left on highway 1 after Mae Chai towards Pang Pu Lo and Mae San, then connect to road 1303 and Harng, Wang Charoen and back on 118. Then for example Phrao and in time at X Center for sunset. Haven't done the dirt section Pang Pu Lo- Harng yet and don't know how it is at this time of the year. If someone is familiar with this part that could help to better schedule time.
This is just my "tyre kicker" 2 cents sincere opinion.
Cheers

Franz

Jun 28, 2007
Dave & Eric, welcome, any alteration that makes the ride more exciting should be done :clap: . Propose we meet at the UN Irish already at 07:30 Saturday 16th of October and leave latest 08:30 and then settle together on the route we will take and which fixed points we will meet if the group falls apart. I promise I will take it easy on the throttle...... :mrgreen: . Rgds, Franz

Mar 15, 2003
www.daveearly.com
pee wrote: Thanks for organizing this Khun Franz...
I 'll stick to my words and will come but my thumper whispers in my ear: "I don't like some of these big roads and all these kilometers in one day..."
Although the "1346 to the 1150 instead of continuing on the 107 to the 1150" as suggested by Dave is an improvement on the road quality, it doesn't lessen the kilometers.

Another option to cut short would be to take a left on highway 1 after Mae Chai towards Pang Pu Lo and Mae San, then connect to road 1303 and Harng, Wang Charoen and back on 118. Then for example Phrao and in time at X Center for sunset. Haven't done the dirt section Pang Pu Lo- Harng yet and don't know how it is at this time of the year. If someone is familiar with this part that could help to better schedule time.
This is just my "tyre kicker" 2 cents sincere opinion.
Cheers
Pee's suggestion looks interesting and I figure it to be about 370km. Less kilometer, but the section of road from Mae Chai to the 118 is mostly dirt (according to my map). Based on Franz's cancellation of his ride of 09 Oct because the road is washed out, it is highly likely this road may suffer the same fate. I haven't ridden it before either so maybe someone else out there can advise on the road conditions.

Thumper2.jpg

Whatever you guy's decide is fine with me. I will join you on the 118 rather than come into town for breakfast, as I live 14km north of town. :thumbup:

Franz

Jun 28, 2007
Guys, after getting complaints that the route is too long, I listened to David's proposal and have changed the planned route accordingly. Please see all changes in the first post on top I have marked in BLUE and BOLD. Hope that all are now satisfied and look forward to a nice Saturday !!! Let's hope the weather stays 'dry'..... :happy5:
DavidFL is also in and maybe Yui, both on trackers.
So as of today:

Dave (Silverhawk) DR 650
Art (Blister) D-Tracker or SRX6 (take it for a longer spin.... :mrgreen: )
Ally D-Tracker
Eric (Pee) DRZ400
David D-Tracker
Yui D-Tracker
Franz DR650

Cheers & see you on Saturday morning, rgds, Franz

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
Indeed a good day & ride. 400 kms & sweet weather. The old fart (me) was "cold" up on Doi Ang Khang!.. :smile1:

The weather, perfect.
img_0380.jpg

waiting for Silverhawk & TF at R121 & R107.

Pee doing the right thing & consulting a GT Rider map to confirm the route.
img_0383_1.jpg

Chiang Dao mountain from the by-pass
img_0386_1.jpg

img_0391.jpg

img_0392.jpg

Arunothai fueling up
img_0393.jpg

how much can that tank hold?

A Captain Slash approved "mini-restaurant" in Arunothai
img_0395.jpg

R1340 & Pha Daeng
img_0401.jpg

R1340 Viewpoint
img_0402.jpg

Regroup time
img_0411.jpg

On the road again
img_0408.jpg

Lunch, Doi Ang Khang
img_0414.jpg

Kow Soi Gai
img_0417.jpg

and non-Slash approved.

DAK group snap
img_0420.jpg

Pee providing TLC for his DR400 thumper
img_0421.jpg

The R1249 view
img_0423.jpg

Pee savouring the Fang fuel stop
img_0427.jpg

That girl, MIss Yui, savouring the Fang fuel stop
img_0428.jpg

Drink stop at C&C
img_0434.jpg

and time for some Chocolate Ship & a Cappuccino.

C&C (Cabbages & Condoms) Mae Kachan
img_0437.jpg

X-Centre for Happy Hour
img_0443.jpg

thanks guys I enjoyed myself. It was a sweet day & 400 kms up on a KLX 250 for me; & I did not find the seat that bad. Much better than the D-Tracker seat? :thumbup:

Mar 15, 2003
www.daveearly.com
It was good day with varying riding styles and bikes. Something for everyone with some high speed blasts for the bigger bikes, and some impressive riding in the twisties by others. We tempted the rain gods all day but stayed dry. Although the last leg was cut short due to time constraints, it was still all good.

An overall average for the group (per gps) = 46kph. Total distance from the 121 and the 107 intersection to the X-Centre 398km,

The best 'mis-direction' of the day. "I was sure there was a gas station here before' (Me-Arunothai)

The best excuse heard for the day; "I got overheated and my sunblock melted and got in my eyes so I couldn't see". (No Names) :clap:

Franz

Jun 28, 2007
Ladies & Gents, enjoyed this ride very much and look forward to another one !!!! Yep, the weather gods have been good to us, up in Doi Ankhang you can already feel the cooler season approaching. For those who knew that Art continued after our ride, he called in his arrival in Pai at 19:30. Short blasts with Dave and Tom were marvellous as there's 3 matching bikes...... :mrgreen:, best regards, Franz

Auke

Nov 10, 2003
SilverhawkUSA wrote: The best 'mis-direction' of the day. "I was sure there was a gas station here before' (Me-Arunothai)
The ESRI GPS map shows a Bangchak Fuel Station about 500 meter south of the 90 degree junction in Arunothai so your memory was probably OK :clap:

Dec 27, 2007
Auke wrote: [quote quote=SilverhawkUSA]The best 'mis-direction' of the day. "I was sure there was a gas station here before' (Me-Arunothai)
The ESRI GPS map shows a Bangchak Fuel Station about 500 meter south of the 90 degree junction in Arunothai so your memory was probably OK :clap:
That's the problem with depending too heavily on GPS- sure, there may be (or may have been) a gas station at a given point but you have no guarantees if it's still open or in business! :oops:

Marco

Oct 15, 2006
Khuang Nai
TonyBKK wrote: [quote quote=Auke][quote quote=SilverhawkUSA]The best 'mis-direction' of the day. "I was sure there was a gas station here before' (Me-Arunothai)
That's the problem with depending too heavily on GPS- sure, there may be (or may have been) a gas station at a given point but you have no guarantees if it's still open or in business! :oops:
That is so true,, i have found that out several times that there "Should be" gas station but it's NOT there any more,,so never leave fuel level too low that it;s you final change get fuel and then one find out that darn,, there is no,,,,

Mar 15, 2003
www.daveearly.com
Auke wrote: [quote quote=SilverhawkUSA]The best 'mis-direction' of the day. "I was sure there was a gas station here before' (Me-Arunothai)
I was aware of the Bangchak Fuel Station. I also knew from the locals that this station had allegedly been closed by the government for "cheating customers". I learned this when we did a ToyRide event to Arunothai last year. I also thought I remembered another station upon leaving Arunothai towards Doi AngKahn. I can't blame the GPS. My memory is even less reliable than the ESRI map; that's not a good thing. :thumbdown:

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
SilverhawkUSA wrote: I
The best excuse heard for the day; "I got overheated and my sunblock melted and got in my eyes so I couldn't see". (No Names) :clap:
:yawn: I swear it's true. Sweat from off your sunblock in your eyes stings like hell.
It is a common problem I seem to have late arvos or if not riding fast enough to get a sufficient air flow & cool down. :sick:

pee

Mar 10, 2006
Adding a few pics...

Starting with a collector pic.
Khun David on a KLX enjoying the obstacle race kindly provided by Thai army...
Kind of a waste anyway as we had plenty of curves to play with already. Wish they use their ever increasing budget to fund the Toy Ride instead.
Can't help it; such a nice day makes you dream...
thumper6.jpg

Back to serious business: Ally followed by Yui
thumper5.jpg

Stops were quite short but Khun Franz managed to spare enough time in order to provide advice to a Thai tour guide.
thumper2.jpg

400 km was perhaps a bit ambitious in one day. As we didn't have enough time to discuss the ethics of thumper over lunch...
Also had to skip the siesta under one of these rice field huts... Argh.
(my 2 satang tyre kicker sincere opinion)

So back to technical issues. Look at Mister Tom worrying look; even with a thumper filling up doesn't come cheap these days
thumper3-1.jpg

And back to rituals with a happy perspective on the all bunch
GroupPic.jpg

Elegance Award of the 2010 Thumper Ride goes to Miss Yui.
Assuming it was not a political statement her yellow outfit was perfectly matching the green environment all around
(could only manage to steal this elusive pic as paparazzi were all over the Sukhothai star during stops)
EleganceAwardoftheday.jpg

thumper7.jpg

Pace & Salute

Jul 6, 2004
Great ride with fantastic company.
It should be at least an annual event.
This is the second ride I have been on while accommanied by smaller cc bikes.
Don't underestimate 150cc CBR's or the 250cc trail bikes, in the twisties they can realy give the bigger bikes a run for their money.
Now when will Mr Honda etc, design a 250 with a turbo for the highways!
Great to see the young Thais hassling the old farts.
Tom. :happy2: