Travelling With The Missus

Discussion in 'General Discussion / News / Information' started by Big_Dave, Jul 27, 2017.

1. Big_Dave

Big_Dave Ol'Timer

Ratings:
    +43 / 0 / -0
    Just an aside you blokes... How many of you ride with your missus? I am extremely fortunate that I have a wife who loves riding just as much as I do... In all these years, thru monsoon rain, hail, ice, and snow she's never complained and is always keen to go on our next adventure.

Now don't get me wrong I love her to bits, she's gorgeous, thankfully has terrible taste in men given I have a head like a vandalised bus seat and tolerates all of my many shenanigans.... Many many shenanigans. Anyhow, no matter if Touratech made a London bus sized top box and A380 sized panniers I'd still end up with 3 t shirts and a pair of shorts... The rest would be taken up by the innumerable and not up for negotiation, beauty products that accompany us everywhere.

Just today I observed a small part of her toolkit... a small part of pictured below. All manner of lotions and potions, jars and bottles... Even brushes of some sort, which I once made the mistake of using to clean bike parts with.... The doctor said my recovery is going well and I should be able to walk normally in a year or so

The joys of travelling two up. I wouldn't have it any other way. IMG_20170727_152957.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Rod Page

Rod Page Ol'Timer

Ratings:
    +49 / 0 / -0
    Great post, I'm still laughing.
    I ended up getting a bike for my wife. She rode like a demon, as many who follow this site can attest.

3. DavidFL

DavidFL Administrator
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +741 / 0 / -0
    I recall a my first bike trip in Laos with the previous GF Happy Go Lucky.
    A gem of a gal & fun to travel with, a capacity to drink + an amazing singer...but all good things sometimes have to come to an end.

We packed the Africa Twin with a large top box - that's all you / we get for luggage dear. Everything has to fit in the there.
    I packed my minimal gear on the bottom & left her to out her gear on top, stressing that we needed to travel light & didn't need all the make up & beauty gear you use for working, singing at night, because you wont be working & we are on a motorbike adventure holiday.

Loh & behold then I struggled to lift the top box to put it on the bike.
    Forced to investigate I noted the usual glass jars of cream, & giant bottles of shampoo & conditioner were packed, plus shoes.
    NO No you cant take these. We don't need them darling, just take a few small things in plastic. NO GLASS JARS or multiple spare shoes.
    Out they went .

So off we went. Ride to Chiang Khong nice & easy, & put the bike on a boat to sail down to Pak Beng with a few mates.

287916-15141-mekongboat4-.

We arrived in Pak Beng, unloaded the bike & the next day set of up the old bumpy stony Pak Beng - Oudom Xai road.
    At the first drink & food stop - only about 29 kms out I might add, the GF takes off her jacket & I can hear the glass containers rattling.
    OH NO. OH YES , she had filled the pockets of her jacket with the glass jars of cream + a pair of bloody shoes! A good part of the excess "unwanted: luggage had only been redistributed.

Then there was another time in Nan she packed her gear in the top box last & put in the dried squid.
    Back in Chiang Mai everything reeked of smelly dried squid when the top box was opened.

Oh well.

• Like Like x 1
  4. blackb15

blackb15 Ol'Timer

Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -0
    David
    You can't live with them,you can't live without them Very funny I enjoyed reading it.
    Safe riding
    Paul