Trips arround chiang mai

harald

Dec 4, 2006
Visit Chiang Mai in January 2007, plan to make some trips with an offroad bike,
looking for anybody who lives in chiang mai or who stays in chiang mai at this time who can give me some helpfull informations about nice trips arround north thailand.
Maybe somebody have fun to come with me for a few days, I`m riding bikes since over 25 years, I come from Germany and I´m 46 years old, so I hope somebody answer me,
looking forward to meet some friendly bikers in Northern Thailand
Harald

Pikey

www.tbbtours.com
Harald,

Welcome to the board. For offroading around CM, look at the following posts to have some ideas:

Link removed

Link removed

Link removed

Link removed

Link removed

Will be happy to meet you and maybe ride as well but be sure to post trip reports here on anything you do!

Cheers,

Pikey.

harald

Dec 4, 2006
Hallo pikey, thanks for reply, I have no idea at this time what tour I can do in Northern thailand, I will check your links, hope I can meet bikers like you when I arrive, may be I can meet you there, if you want you can tell me where I can find you, hope I can get some ideas...good maps???, will be happy when you answer again, sure I will post my trip reports ;-)
so long
harald

Pikey

www.tbbtours.com
Hi Harald,

Hope you checked out/enjoyed the links? When you get here you can send an SMS to my phone - 0869743585 and I'll call you back and we can arrange to meet & chat. Please don't call as I don't pickup calls from numbers that are not in my phonebook!

For maps, DavidFL (forum leader/owner) makes his living creating EXCELLENT maps of N. Thailand. These are widely available in this part of the country and show great detail, including offroad trails and details of larger towns featured in the maps.

Cheers,

Pikey.

harald

Dec 4, 2006
Hi Pikey, thanks for reply again, I will send you a sms when I arrive in CM, so have a good time, looking forward to see you overthere
so long
harald

harald

Dec 4, 2006
Hi Pikey, some questions again, thinking about what kind of motorcycle clothing I need at january in Northern Thailand, heard sometimes is real cold at this time, I have some experience about biking in the south...but the north I don`t know, i don`t want to bring to much stuff and later I don`t need.
Do you have any idea if I can ride with a rent bike to Laos???, I know official ...no chance, but may be you know a way???
Also I´m interested to find place in Chiang mai like a meeting point for bikers (bar,restaurant, guest house??), I think it`s not a good idea to do bigger offroad tours alone, I read about many guided tours from CM.....but I think thats a lot of money.....I can spend that for more usefull things ;-)
greetings from Germany
harald

Pikey

www.tbbtours.com
Hi Harald,

All the answers to your questions above are in threads on this board (or use the "search" facility). There has been a big incident recently in Laos so I think it very unlikely that you will get in on a rental bike unless it has a plate (most do not here in CM) and the rentor/owner gives you a copy of the registration doc & a letter authorising you to cross borders on the bike. Even then, given the current situation, IMHO, it's doubtful.

Cheers,

Pikey.

harald

Dec 4, 2006
Hi Pikey, thanks again, I don`t hear about an incident in Laos, so this was just a idea, I don`t have to go absolutely to Laos I think I can also find good trips sin Thailand,
so long
Harald