Tyres for DTRacker

Jun 1, 2008
Last time I visited I hired a DTracker for a few days and really enjoyed the bike. It was fitted with road tyres. For road work however, I probably preferred the ER6.

Anyway, I liked the DTracker and am wondering about taking it on some routes I have planned which will entail dirt roads and some rougher terrain. I have considered the KLX however whilst I am just short of 6 feet tall, my legs are shorter than average. I have a low slung butt. I sat on a KLX and struggled to reach the ground whereas the DTracker was just fine.

Would it be a reasonable idea to have nobbly tyres fitted to Dtracker for such journeys? If so, would hire shops usually do this on request?

Jun 1, 2008
Ok, Give the huge rush to respond to this question can I rephrase and try again on one part of the question.

Assuming that I can get offroad tyres fitted to the DTracker are there any performance related comments around this against a KLX which already has them fitted. Am I trying to make a bike do something it is not meant to do?

If I a moving along then I am pretty well ok on either bike however when I stop, I have always found it prefereable to reach the ground with my feet. Liam Brendon and Martin will all remember the result of not reaching the ground!

Sep 19, 2006
www.chiangmai-xcentre.com
Hi Tony,
Not Sure where You Plan on Riding? If it is Dry season I think You would be fine with the Standard Tyres on the D-Tracker for normal use? Unless You are going flat out even off road Dirt Trails are OK? Depending on how long You are renting the Bike for You could change Tyres Yourself and change them back again when You are finished? I have a Set of Dirt Tyres here for a D-Tracker but I personally Do Not like them! We brought a D-Tracker for My Friend and it came with 2 sets of Tyres. I have since got another Complete set of Dirt Wheels for Him so He has both Road & Dirt wheels!

Jun 1, 2008
Thanks Ian

I have only a couple of rides planned that will entail a fair amount of dirt. One is to finish the run between Samoeng/Wat Chen and mae Hong Son over the hills. Last time I got half way by mistake. I am presuming that the weather will be wetter in June. If you thnkthe DTracker tyres would cope with that then I'll not bother

cheers

TW

Aug 29, 2008
dtracker and KLX are the same except the suspension sits about an inch lower
a local bike shop(C&P motors) I was renting from changed the wheels over when I wanted, so I could see them side by side.
I think rainy season is going to be here in chiang mai in june, so I wouldn't want d tracker tyres, it gets awful slippy on di suthep.
I too want to ride to wat chan/mae hong son offroad

Jun 1, 2008
Thanks for that. Maybe the KLX can be lowered a little bit by winding the suspension? I can touch the ground when standing still but only with the tips of both feet which doesn't give me confidence at traffic lights or junctions. Either that or break out a pair of 1970's platform soled boots.

I have a Baja at home and that seems to me to be lower than the KLX so maybe that is an alternative.

Weather permitting it is certainly a ride I will be doing this trip.

cheers

T

Aug 29, 2008
my klx sits quite low, the suspension is soft(I think too soft), I want a firmer spring
I've only got short legs
I saw a klx with custom dogbone suspension links, like I used to have on my drz, which lower the saddle height, so you can buy them.

Nov 18, 2008
I haven't done the Somoeng/Wat Chan road but I have done the 100km Maehongson to Wat Chan road (which took me all day after a 9:00am start in the dry season) and personally wouldn't want to be on that greasy track in the rainy season but I've seen many mudded up off-road bikes in Pai so I guess some folks call it FUN but I'd sure wish I had those knobby tires (or at least a dual-purpose like the Dunlop K180s that I prefer because I do 80% on-road) if I took the chance. Those DTracker street tires could leave you sad or even damaged on a long wet dirt road. Most of the really steep stuff has been cemented over but the stuff that hasn't is three or four 8 inch wide tracks with 8 inch deep ruts in between. It's no fun at all to be in a rut with your high tech dirt bike when a family of 4 rides by on a Honda Wave.

Jun 1, 2008
roaddhist wrote: I haven't done the Somoeng/Wat Chan road but I have done the 100km Maehongson to Wat Chan road (which took me all day after a 9:00am start in the dry season) and personally wouldn't want to be on that greasy track in the rainy season but I've seen many mudded up off-road bikes in Pai so I guess some folks call it FUN but I'd sure wish I had those knobby tires (or at least a dual-purpose like the Dunlop K180s that I prefer because I do 80% on-road) if I took the chance. Those DTracker street tires could leave you sad or even damaged on a long wet dirt road. Most of the really steep stuff has been cemented over but the stuff that hasn't is three or four 8 inch wide tracks with 8 inch deep ruts in between. It's no fun at all to be in a rut with your high tech dirt bike when a family of 4 rides by on a Honda Wave.
Did you take all day because you chose to (ie lots of resting and stops) or did you take all day because that is what the terrain demanded. I doubt there is a place to stay at Wat Chan so maybe this is not a one day ride in the rainy time?

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
tonykiwi wrote: [quote quote=roaddhist]I haven't done the Somoeng/Wat Chan road but I have done the 100km Maehongson to Wat Chan road (which took me all day after a 9:00am start in the dry season) and personally wouldn't want to be on that greasy track in the rainy season but I've seen many mudded up off-road bikes in Pai so I guess some folks call it FUN but I'd sure wish I had those knobby tires (or at least a dual-purpose like the Dunlop K180s that I prefer because I do 80% on-road) if I took the chance. Those DTracker street tires could leave you sad or even damaged on a long wet dirt road. Most of the really steep stuff has been cemented over but the stuff that hasn't is three or four 8 inch wide tracks with 8 inch deep ruts in between. It's no fun at all to be in a rut with your high tech dirt bike when a family of 4 rides by on a Honda Wave.
Did you take all day because you chose to (ie lots of resting and stops) or did you take all day because that is what the terrain demanded. I doubt there is a place to stay at Wat Chan so maybe this is not a one day ride in the rainy time?
Tony
Wat Chan has a basic Home-Stay guesthouse
Miguel’s Nong Hoi

and some royal project bungalows
http://www.fio.co.th/travel/watchan/accommodation.html

Jun 1, 2008
Looks like a two day run then. Lots of fun by the look of it, thanks David. That would give me time for plenty of stops and taking in the area rather than hammering all day long to get to the other side before dark. Anyone got any ideas on an interesting return journey to Chiang Mai rather than the main road via Pai? I had wondered about going south after MHS and coming back across country again via Mae Chaem. Would that be a worth while experience?

Nov 18, 2008
When I'm on a really beautiful stretch of secluded mountain road in what I like to call the "real Thailand" it's hard to be in a hurry. At the top of the passes with the really grand views I'll often take a "sore butt" stop, take a leak, and check the forest for unusual orchids and such but always with the understanding that I really don't want to sleep there. And there's a chance of missing that one left turn, coming from Maehongson, that gets you on a loop that sends you back to whence you came so at the next village after or before some turnoffs (if you backtrack to a near village) it's always a good idea to ask someone while pointing "bpai Maehongson?" or "bpai Wat Chan?" just to keep on the right track. Some people only know the name of the next village so it's a good idea to bring David's map to navigate by. It's only about an hour back to Pai by reasonably good paved road after you get to Wat Chan if you'd like more lodging options. If you're going to MHS from Wat Chan and take the left fork of the loop mentioned above (about half way to MHS), in the village about 8km down the road, I was surprised to find students from universities all over the U.S. helping out the villagers with farming, building, etc. I suspect a homestay can be arranged there.

Jun 1, 2008
Thanks for that Roaddhist, I am really looking foward to this ride now and will make maybe three or four days out of it. First night will sta at Wat Chan.

Thinking of stopping in Mae Chaem for the second night. Anyone got any recommendations about accomodation there?

Also, in looking at Mapsource I am planning a ride home to Chiang Mai. I am wondering about going up the 1284 for a while. There is a lot of minor roads showing between the following coordinates. Any up to date advice on whether these are ridable and safe in Junetime? Anything to see there? I am assuming they are in the park area and hopefull of some good scenery.

N18 36.704 E98 30.473
N18 40.345 E98 33.125

Also. Mapsource Thailand map shows end of road at N18 48.494 E98 31 679 however if I am not mistaken, Davids map shows the road continuing to the 5032? Anyone confirm this for me please?

Lastly, any recommendation as to a favoured route out of the following.

Mae Win - Huai Yuak - Sai Mun - Samoeng
or
1284 from Khun Klang - Khun Wang - Huai Dong - Bo Kaeo - Samoeng

cheers

T

Nov 2, 2008
roaddhist wrote: I was surprised to find students from universities all over the U.S. helping out the villagers with farming, building, etc. I suspect a homestay can be arranged there.
Your correct, would seem there is a household quite obliging and will quickly host you quite comfortably. Well we were scouting rivers my Thai friends found offers to home stay frequently, and we took up one offer resulting in a great nights sleep in what I'd assume to be the area you mentioned.

Auke

Nov 10, 2003
tonykiwi wrote:
Thinking of stopping in Mae Chaem for the second night. Anyone got any recommendations about accomodation there?
T
Mae Chaem - A lot of people like the Navasoung Hotel/Resort on the east side of Mae Chaem but there are quite a few more more central in town like the Mae Chaem Hotel, etc.

tonykiwi wrote:
Also, in looking at Mapsource I am planning a ride home to Chiang Mai. I am wondering about going up the 1284 for a while. There is a lot of minor roads showing between the following coordinates. Any up to date advice on whether these are ridable and safe in Junetime? Anything to see there? I am assuming they are in the park area and hopefull of some good scenery.

N18 36.704 E98 30.473
N18 40.345 E98 33.125
T
The 1284 is OK and if you do a search you will find plenty of ride reports about this road. Most of the side roads from the 1284 may go to small villages but, in my opinion, should be avoided in the rainy season in particular when you are alone. There is about halfway a link from the 1284 to the west to the 1088 but these are single trails and probably very slippery around the time you are here.

tonykiwi wrote:
Also. Mapsource Thailand map shows end of road at N18 48.494 E98 31 679 however if I am not mistaken, Davids map shows the road continuing to the 5032? Anyone confirm this for me please?
T
Not sure to which map you refer but both on Mapsource and on Davids GPS map the road stops just north of the coordinates you refer to (assuming that you forgot to add a dot in between E 98 31.679).

tonykiwi wrote:
Lastly, any recommendation as to a favoured route out of the following.

Mae Win - Huai Yuak - Sai Mun - Samoeng
or
1284 from Khun Klang - Khun Wang - Huai Dong - Bo Kaeo - Samoeng
T
Again much depends on the amount of rain. If it has rained a lot you better take the second option 1284 via Khun Wang to Samoeng. Anyway, you will have to take the second option to reach the starting point of the first option unless you want to make a large detour. Have a look at hang-dong-ban-tawai-ban-mae-wang-bokeo-samoeng-chiang-mai-t4566.html#p25752 how the road Mae Win to Samoeng via Sai Mun looks like after heavy rain

Jun 1, 2008
Auke

you are a God

Thanks for all this valuable information. I do try to search on the forum however for those of us in other parts of the world it is less intuitive than for those living in Thailand.

Not sure to which map you refer but both on Mapsource and on Davids GPS map the road stops just north of the coordinates you refer to (assuming that you forgot to add a dot in between E 98 31.679).
I was referring to Davids Mae Hong Son loop map but may have mistaken the road I was looking at. Also, yes, you are correct, I forgot the dot.

I am looking for a lovely extension to the ride back after Mae Chaem, bit of mild excitment if such a thing exists. Trying to stay away from main roads as much as possible

Thanks again, your guidance is truly appreciated

T

Feb 23, 2010
Ian Bungy wrote: If it is Dry season I think You would be fine with the Standard Tyres on the D-Tracker for normal use?
Agreed-the standard tyres are fine for normal use in dry season ONLY.

I had a few chances in the past few weeks to see how the standard tryres perform on wet pavement.
I think they are terrible. I was about to learn it the hard way trying to stop behind a 1950 Thai government bus that slammed on its breaks the other day on Petburi road in Bangkok... :shock:

I have been reading about some nice on/off road tyres and some people recommend Pirelli MT 60 Corsa. Here is a review: http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycles ... lli-tires/

Would these fit on a D'Tracker?

Any ideas/recommendations will be appreciated.

Thank you!