Uttaradit To Nan Via Sirikit Dam. Another Must Do Ride.

Moto-Rex

Subscribed
Jan 5, 2008
Uttaradit to Nan via Sirikit dam.

The way. 1045, 1146, 1047, 1339, 1026.

In my opinion this is one of the best road rides in the North, and anyone planning a trip in Northern Thailand, should try and incorporate this road into their ride.

Nan Thailand (1).JPG

This is hwy 1045 that heads out of Uttaradit. Straight for a lot of the way, but there’s a section that goes for about 7 kilometres, with amazing bends that never end.
Probably more suited for a big bike, but still good fun on the KLX.
Nan Thailand (2).JPG

The Nan river was looking a little dirty due to the heavy rain the further north as rode across the bridge.
Nan Thailand (3).jpg

The road south of the dam (1339) was in pretty good condition, quite a lot on new sections, along with the occasional dodgy bit, making it a ripper tight and twisty ride.

All a board.
Nan Thailand (4).jpg
Nan Thailand (5).jpg
Nan Thailand (6).jpg

I really like crossing the Sirikit Dam.

The small village has a laid back community feel, with people not in a hurry, and living without too much stress there lives.

This engine had a wicked note that echoed across the dam.
Nan Thailand (7).jpg
Nan Thailand (8).jpg
Nan Thailand (9).jpg
Nan Thailand (10).jpg
Nan Thailand (11).JPG

Once over the dam it was on to hwy 1026, which these days is like new all the way to Nan.
Nan Thailand (12).jpg
Nan Thailand (13).jpg

Now lets see. Why was it I like riding up here? Oh Baby.
Nan Thailand (14).jpg
Nan Thailand (15).jpg
Nan Thailand (16).jpg

I know we probably all get a tired of temples,but this one in the small town of Ban Bo Kaeo is stunning, and worth a look.
Nan Thailand (17).jpg
Nan Thailand (18).jpg

Wat Ban Bo Kaeo. The work that went into this temple is amazing.
Nan Thailand (19).jpg
Nan Thailand (20).jpg
Nan Thailand (21).jpg

Another temple a little further which I’ve always liked.
Nan Thailand (22).jpg
Nan Thailand (23).jpg

Lunch time on the road. Mama noodles and a cup of coffee.
Nan Thailand (24).jpg
Nan Thailand (25).jpg

I didn’t take many photos of the road because I was having to much fun to stop.
Nan Thailand (26).jpg
Nan Thailand (27).JPG

There is very little traffic on hwy 1026, but as I got closer to Nan it became quite busy due a couple of big trucks, so I turned off taking the 3014 which took me to hwy 101.
Nan Thailand (28).JPG
Nan Thailand (29).jpg

The 3014 is like your own personal go kart track, narrow, tight and twisty, and I didn’t see one car. (I did see two snakes)
Nan Thailand (30).jpg
Nan Thailand (31).jpg

I arrived in Nan and grabbed a hotel after riding around town lost for 40 minutes.

I can’t remember the name of the hotel but each room came with a pink teddy bear.
Nan Thailand (32).jpg
Nan Thailand (33).jpg

After cleaning up I meet up with Ben and had a few beers by the Nan River at the Sanian, a restaurant that ill give a miss next time in Nan. After a feed and a Leo or two, it was back to the hotel which took another 40 minutes to find. I seem to be constantly lost in Nan.

Great day out on the bike.

Uttaradit and Nan hotel and restaurant recommendations here,

GT-Rider Recommended Spots - Northern Thailand

Cheers Moto-Rex

Kiwi Cruiser

Ben Kemp
Staff member
May 26, 2007
Thailand
The pink hotel: Wiangphumin Hotel

The Sanian Restaurant was ok from the perspective of "sundown beers" but a bit light on PG's & service - and live music would be a good thing. An English language menu with a few more conventional items on it would also help. There are probably better places, but finding them is the trick...

To me, Nan is a bit like the classic "mystery wrapped in an enigma" - and it's a bit of a challenge to navigate! Staying in town for a week would be the answer, wandering around and exploring to see what's hot and what's not.

blackb15

Subscribed
Oct 11, 2009
Rex
Looks great nice photos . I have ridden some of it but will try to do the rest when I get back later this month I hope to catch up then
Safe riding
Paul

Monster Man

Jul 12, 2018
Thank you for the great post Rex. Your words and pics are very much appreciated here in Oz as I sit here and await my next ride in Thailand.