Vang Vieng Via Nong Khai

Chantony

Subscribed
Oct 21, 2016
Chanthaburi
Hi all, so in the last week of October I joined some Chanthaburi biker friends on a trip to Khao Kho and Phu Tubberk and since we were already quite a bit North myself and the missus decided to head for Nong Khai and chance our arm at getting into Laos for a couple of days on the mighty Vstrom.
Arriving at the border everything on the Thai side was smooth and straight forward, temporary export papers duly issued and no fees to ride the bike across the bridge.
First port of call on arriving at the Laos side was to go to the far left where I presented my printed evisa, this in turn earned me an entry stamp into Laos.
I then proceeded to the far right of the border where there was a little confusion, first sent to window 1, then sent to room 105, the guy in room 105 sent me to the officers sat between the bays where cars can drive through who advised i should go to room 105. I explained i already had then a very friendly young man with excellent English who was either immigration or customs began asking me some questions eg where was my group? I advised my group was just myself and my wife. i advised I had entered Laos several times on my bike before and also in my truck. He said he would have to phone the big boss. At this point i thought ah maybe we wont get in but shortly a pleasant lady came out and through the young man;s translation skills questions regarding my Nationality, my wife's nationality, how long we planned to stay etc were apparently satisfactorily answered and they both accompanied me to room 105 and instructed the man there to issue me with the documentation. I thanked them very much and proceeded back to the right hand side of the complex, presented documentation and paid a local tax to an automatic machine (I think about 50 baht) then I believe I paid 200 baht to the final chap who checked our documents and hey ho we were in!
My overall impression was that some younger staff less set in their ways with less of an eye on tea money are being very helpful and welcoming at this border. Also of night beside customs was the large poster on the wall promoting Laos as a big bike holiday adventure destination, so I guess they could hardly say no lol.

Some of Chanthaburi bike group at Khao Kho
1.jpg

2.jpg

The beautiful route 2016 on route from Phu Tubberk to Nong Khai
3.jpg

4.jpg

Approaching Vang Vieng
5.jpg

Indoor parking at Vang Vieng Boutique Hotel, lovely mountain views and balcony for 600 baht with breakfast via the agoda app, excellent value.
6.jpg

Second night was also excellent value via the agoda app and shopback, stayed at the Naga Hotel right on the river, superb breakfast and superior balcony river front room for 950 baht.
7.jpg

The toll bridge you cross from Vang Vieng town to go to the blue lagoons and viewpoints.
8.jpg

The famous bike perched atop Nam Xay viewpoint, very surreal and stunning views. A bit of a steep hike up which earned me my can of beer Laos at the top which the Korean tourists wanted to borrow for their photos hehe.
9.jpg

In parting I have to thoroghly reccomend the Roadhouse BBQ and Grill in Vientianne, superb food, great prices, the owner lovingly slow cooks the ribs at home and the triple fried fries were excellent, also a nice selection of craft beers.
10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

Exiting laos and entering Thailand back at Vientianne was very smooth and took no more than 15 minutes
13.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
Fantastic & good news. Many thanks for the update - much appreciated.
Roadhouse in Vte is a top spot. The English owner Andy is a mate of mine. He also rides - has a Ducati at the moment I believe.

ZCM

Subscribed
Jun 23, 2011
cm
Stunning photos! I have enjoyed riding in all of these area.
I love riding solo, but there is a part of me that would enjoy having a friend along so we can help capture moments together.
Your photos really do show the beauty of the area!
Have they implemented the new no visa on arrival at Vientiane? Or did you just get the e-visa just incase?

Chantony

Subscribed
Oct 21, 2016
Chanthaburi
Stunning photos! I have enjoyed riding in all of these area.
I love riding solo, but there is a part of me that would enjoy having a friend along so we can help capture moments together.
Your photos really do show the beauty of the area!
Have they implemented the new no visa on arrival at Vientiane? Or did you just get the e-visa just incase?

Thanks for you comments, though my little reports pale in comparison to your own detailed trip reports.
I believe visa on arrival is still issued at Nong Khai, my reason for getting the evisa was to save a full page in my passport, the evisa still entails a small stamp in addition to the entry stamp so saves around half a page which could be two exits and entries from Thailand.

ZCM

Subscribed
Jun 23, 2011
cm
Oh, that is a great tip. I never thought about the evisa only using half a page. Thanks. Ive only ever done an evisa for Australia, but it was many many years back and I don't think it needed to go into my passport, so I didn't know this about the evisas. Will keep it in mind.
(As for my trip reports, I think they can be a bit excessive for most people haha..but I enjoy writing about them).