Vehicle Registration Certificate, international transport permit

Discussion in 'Laos - General Discussion Forum' started by pensionist, Jun 23, 2015.

  1. Sorry that I have to use the wrong section as I cannot open a new thread in the general section.
    The admin may move this thread.

    As my bike is registered in BKK a friend called DLT Pranburi today if they can issue the Vehicle Registration Certificate when taking the bike abroad. DLT staff insists that it is impossible to take any bike out of Thailand.

    Does anyone took his bike abroad recently and could provide a scan of such a permit?
    Personal details could be blacked out of course.

    Thank you very much in advance for your kind support!
  2. Just bring your green book and passport and you are good to go to Malaysia, Cambodia and Laos.
    Make copies of all relevant pages before arriving at the border. Copy of passport as well.

    After Thai Custom have issued a Temporary export permit, take a photo of the document. (in case you loose them or they get wet)

    Have a nice trip.
  3. Unless your bike is still under finance (doubt since it's earlier 1150 GS model) do as Oddvar suggests. Otherwise go to finance/leasing company and ask them to issue the document permitting the bike to leave the country. This is what I do when traveling across the border since green book is with finance company.
  4. Wow, thank you so much for your fast reply.
    So the certificate from DLT is not required?
  5. You are right, no finance on my bike.
    Thank you for your confirmation!

    So much appreciated to get reliable and fast advise in this forum!
  6. No need, actually never heard of such certificate. And if you riding down to Malaysia don't even bother reporting to Thai exit customs. Just cross the border and look for Zurich Insurance office on Malay side (Sadao border crossing) to obtain ICP (International Circulation Permit) in form of round sticker. This allows you to ride 4 weeks in the country and indicates you paid the compulsory insurance. They will also supply you with with big black windshield sticker - translation of your Thai plate.
  7. Huh ? You should have a vehicle registration certificate from the DLT. Its a translation of your own green book to English .. It's no biggie, I usually get one done for 25B every time I transfer a bike to my name and there is no expiry date on it. I'm unsure, but its likely you can get it done at any DLT - Some places ask for a day or two, Songkhla DLT, did it in an hour.


    I have read reports of people translating their own or for the insurance people to do it - it only takes one guy to be having a bad day and you could get turned away to go get a translation.

    There was a report of a Norweigan bike going through Sadao and the JPJ guy told him he couldn't speak English and refused his Norwegian registrations docs .. the girl in the insurance tent helped him out and everything was fine.

    There appears to be no temporary export document anymore .. at Sadao or Padang Bezar, maybe at S.Golok. I have tried to push the point with the Thai passport control, the most you get is a smile other times a wave and a 'main bpen rai' - I couldn't even show my green book, they weren't interested in the slightest.

    I'm rather confused, I don't know for a fact, but Malay riders seem to get a better deal when they enter Thailand, complete a temporary import form, I think they might possibly buy some kind of insurance ( but wouldn't be as much as the approx. 800-1000B that Thai riders pay for 3-4 weeks ) .. Why, if we have a 5 year Thai DL or IDP, do we need a ICP .. If the ASEAN union comes together will this be done away with ?
  8. thank you for the sample and thank you all for your kind support!
    my friend checked again, suddenly they can issue this paper. I will get it tomorrow.
  9. Ahh .. this is a very confusing thread.

    I was referring to Malaysia not requiring a temporary export permit, I believe in Laos you need to, sorry.

    I wouldn't have thought there was a need for a certificate as they could already read the language - Its just Malay and SG where you would need the certificate.

    However, if your passing the DLT its not a bad thing to have, I keep a copy in my backpack with my a copies of my passport, green book, etc. if one day i should ever need it.
  10. This is a car for international transport permit.


  11. I thought the purple vehicle passports had been done away with a couple of years back - the last time you used yours was 5 years back ?

    It makes perfect sense to have this system in place for a society that lives for a rubber stamp, perhaps there weren't enough photocopies involved to make it a viable system.

    When you applied for yours did you need a photo of your wife standing next to the vehicle outside your house with the house number clearly visible ?
  12. You are right in the case of bikes but they still give them for cars as Kwoon Soo Choi indicated. At Laos border crossings they normally want to see the purple book instead of the original green/blue registration book. Main reason for that seems to be the translation of the number plate which in my case starts with (in Thai) Pho Wo and this translates in English to T2.

    Earlier this year I did not have the purple book with me and the Immigration on the Thai side (in Nongkhai) refused to process my car so I could not enter Laos.
  13. Purple vehicle passports are no longer given for bikes but cars still use them. I was denied leaving the country with my truck by the Immigration people in Nongkai earlier this year as I did not have the correct purple vehicle passport for my truck even though I had the valid registration book for it.
  14. Purple vehicle passports are no longer given for bikes but cars still use them. I was denied leaving the country with my truck by the Immigration people in Nongkai earlier this year as I did not have the correct purple vehicle passport for my truck even though I had the valid registration book for it.
  15. I was referring to Malaysia border at Sadao/Bkt Kayu Hitam crossing point. Never brought this certificate because they translated for me for additional fee.

    There are 3 girls working there, they all speak Thai, Malay and English. Whole procedure takes 20 minutes. I have been doing this for 15 years.

    Once you use their services they have your records in computer, very easy to reprint on next visit.
  16. Double Post - deleted
  17. Reviving an old thread in the hope that someone may have some recent intel...

    My bike is owned outright and registered in Thailand. I'm going to Laos for one week to do a recce before moving there permanently later this year. I have my Green Book and Vehicle Registration Cert from the DLT.


    1. Along with my passport, is this all the documentation required for a Laos trip?
    2. I seem to only be able to get 3rd party insurance for the Laos trip from my Thai Insurance broker. Is fully comp not offered at all by insurers?

    Advice gratefully received!
  18. Green book in your name, with the rego paid up will do the trick.
    They don't seem to ask for the Registration Certificate anymore, but if you have it, it does help a bit.
    For insurance you should be able to get it ok on the Laos side. AGL is the best one to go for I think.
    Laos Motorcycle Insurance

    BTW which border crossing are you using?

    Thailand / Laos Border Notes

    Check out this one for a general run down
    Border Crossings
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Many thanks - will have a look those threads. Will be crossing at the Friendship Bridge, Nong Khai.
  20. Try not to cross on a weekend, public holiday or Friday arvo if possible, because it gets damn busy.
    There's a Lao AGL insurance office on the right hand side once you have completed all the paperwork on the Lao side.
    • Informative Informative x 2

Share This Page