versys VS ZX6R MC size

Feb 5, 2007
Does anyone know the sizes of both the 2011 Versys and 03-04 ZX6R front master cylinders

I am fitting the 4 pot radial calipers to my Versys and want to insure that the MC is sized right

Dec 27, 2007
I don't know the answer to that question, but I've been told that you should always use a radial master with radial calipers so the stock Versys master is probably a bad idea with radial calipers...

Feb 5, 2007
A radial master cylinder has the piston and cylinder turned 90 degrees compared to a conventional master cylinder. IE The cylinder is perpendicular to the handlebar.
Looks like 03 and 04 ZX6R used a Nissin conventional, non-radial MC

It is simple hydraulics and if the bore and stroke of the cylinders is the same it will work.
Complicating all this is the distance between the lever's pivot point and the plunger that pushes into the cylinder. This inter-axis value is the second number in radial MC specs - for example 14 (bore) x 19 (inter-axis). As that value increases, you are decreasing your sensitivity and increasing your brake power.

I am hoping against the odds that it will work. In any case I would rather do the engineering first rather than bolt it up and then find out that I need a new MC

Just went out and looked at the Versys a bit harder and it is a Nissin 14mm bore MC
Now just to find the stroke of the Nissin and specs on the ZX6R

mikerust

Subscribed
Nov 5, 2003
Wouldn't the best bet be to use the same master cylinder that the donor bike's calipers use? I.E if the radial caliper and fork legs comes from an R1 use R1 master cylinder. Or am I missing something?

Feb 5, 2007
ended up using a 16mm one from a ZX-10. This bike wears the same calipers as the donor and Kawi changed the bore size as they apparently deemed the 14mm one too small