Very disappointing experience

ray23

Oct 14, 2005
The 750 I have built in 1981 I have spent three years in getting it back into good cruising condition and it wa just purring like a kitten not bad for a 25 year old bike.

Well at the Complex her in Udon yesterday some guy thought it cute to cross wire the plug wires. I didn't see it brought one of the big bike mechanic out to see if he could fix it. He found it 160 baht and a hour or so later.

That was irritating but the down side, the bike backfired through the carbs three times. Must have done something to the crabs the bikes floods instantly and it will not start today. I replaced the four bank carb setup on it once already, not easy to find and expensive.

So I think that ends a three project for me.

Titan

Oct 26, 2006
Ray,
You say the bike floods instantly now... do you mean it floods the carbs, and dumps fuel from carb overflow pipes? or do you mean the motor is "gassing up" from too rich a mixture (overchoking effectively)?
I ask because I had a similar problem some years ago, (although not cause by someones stupid prank!).
My bike at the time was suffering a coil break down, and sometimes would backfire through the carbs... which led to fuel being dumped from the carbs.
It wasn't necessary to replace the carbs, but new float valves were fitted and all jets/airways were blown out with compressed air.
This cured the flooding problem.

Not really what you need after all that work rebuilding, eh?
I won't be local(Udon) for a few weeks yet, but would be glad to help out if you needed... I have a set of Davida vacuum gauges I could bring, if you need to re-balance carbs? let me know on here.
Good luck either way.

Marco

Oct 15, 2006
Khuang Nai
Hi Guys

When talk abt Carbs,,, i got Virago XV 750 -96 last week and previous owner told me that there might be some problems in carbs and bike will not start, so if that happen just moving electrical cables to go in the carbs and bike will start again,, it worked as i have one problem already, but came to my mind, is that carb problem as he stated that they become old,, or is it electrical problem in what way cables should be replacedconnection checked and fixed?? any idea, i dont want to put it in pieces yet....

ray23

Oct 14, 2005
Thanks Titan is really got lucky today met up the White Devils cCub in Non Sang, one of the guys was a mechanic with the Red Bull racing team, he thinks it's the rectifier. The guy knew his stuff just told him the year and model and he began to tell me all about it. I don't much but what he told was right on with what I do know. Anyway great bunch of guys one them is bringing his pickup down Monday and picking the bike up and taking back to the White Devils shop. There he is going to go completly through it tell me exactly what it needs. I won't mention the price but believe me more then reasonable. I saw several of the bikes he had worked on and beleive me they were primo.

You guys ever get a chance to ride with this group I really rocommend it, just a fun bunch of guys who are really into riding

I'm really excited about this. looks like I'm finally going to get this rebuild done right

ray23

Oct 14, 2005
It was odd this morning the wife comes to me, I know problem your motocy, gas leaks. Nothing had been done with the bike for ttwo day and there wa fuel dripping form the carbs. I just shut the gas off. I think the new Mechanic is going to have fun with this one. LOL